Top Shelf Aquatics

Obi's Shallow Reef- Midas blenny and Pistol shrimp sharing den

BRADYBUNCH7

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's bs... if true at all, it only applies to freshwater. In freshwater, having some floating plants MAY deter some fish from jumping.

How many of the fish we keep in our tanks are found near the water surface? "Jumping" is not a behavior they exhibit, they either dart into or away from the rock structure when spooked... that's it. I don't know where you get this stuff, and if you want to have your own threads where you share your unique outlook on the hobby, that is fine. But seeing as how you don't have a REEF tank, please don't spread misinformation

OP, glad you're getting a screen top, definitely the way to go :happy: . How are you planning on securing it to your rimless tank?

I wasn't having floating plants in mind, actually I've read ones for freshwater like elodea, and eel grass. But I'd suspect floating plants might work also correct me if I'm wrong. No we don't have any surface fish I can remember in the saltwater hobby, but many fish even ones not dwelling at the surface have been known to sometimes jump. Also please remember our aquariums are vastly different than the environment they are based off of, in the ocean there is to a fishes perspective basically infinite areas to go, in our tanks a few feet if that is the norm. Many creatures behave substantially different in captive environments, fish are no different.

^ this is true, in fact your claim is in a sense flawed. Many fish are in fact found near the surface. Most reefs have portions exposed during lowest tide. So therefore fish must be near enough get to be spooked and dart away accidentally leaving the water. No need to start bickering and both spread misinformation. Trying to one up the other with knowledge doesn't help the OP. Jeez people.

The reason Bradybunch was considering adding a screen top was for a Midas Blenny. Based on the fishbase entry below, floating plants would not work to keep it from jumping. Yes, there are certain fish that inhabit coastal flats with some plant cover, and there are those fish that inhabit floating mats on the open ocean, but the Midas Blenny is neither of these. They inhabit the same area as anthias. Anthias are not near the surface. So definitely get a cover for your tank. I would also say that if you did have fish that liked planted cover, I would still get a screen. The fish can still get spooked and shoot through the plant cover. Then you will be wishing you had a screen.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/7561

Yes I have never ever heard of floating plants in saltwater! Maybe you were Misinformed!

But I have heard of it in Fresh Water!

You have misunderstood my post. I was saying that when spooked fish "shoot up" or "shoot down" regardless of whether they leave the water in nature (a claim I never made) The fact remains that there is no proof or evidence to suggest that plants will deter jumping (THIS is the point I made). Totally agree with you about the exposed reefs at low tides and different behaviour in captivity. I dont bicker.... I am just backing up my claims with evidence. The other user just made a blanket claim, like he has in several other threads. No misinformation here! In other news... screen top looks good OP Planning on redoing mine with the BRS netting soon

Yep I really recommend this net!

Sorry for the confusions I was talking to amphipod!

Your spot on Roshan!

How am I Misinformed? Re read my post...l clearly state that IN Freshwater floating plants MAY help to deter jumping. I say nothing about saltwater tanks, because there are no floating plants commonly kept in Saltwater, and even if there were plants in the tank there is nothing to suggest that this would prevent the fish from jumping. Sorry to beat the dead horse, but I dont like being told I'm misinformed when you're quoting another user

Sure that'd be great!

Alright! I saw the midas at the store ramming a huge nas. snail because it was in the way of his hole :P priceless

Thanks for the advice on the filefish!

The watchman sounds awesome just wondering if my sanded is too shallow?

P.s The sandbed is 3/4 of an inch :mellow:

Sure that'd be great!

Alright! I saw the midas at the store ramming a huge nas. snail because it was in the way of his hole :P priceless

Thanks for the advice on the filefish!

The watchman sounds awesome just wondering if my sanded is too shallow?

P.s The sandbed is 3/4 of an inch :mellow:

I think they will be fine... they can pile the sand as they see fit and they are plenty capable of making a cave/burrow at the point where your rock work hits the sand. You don't want too much sand in a tank this shallow anyways, so it's good that you only have 3/4

Archived