Coral Vue Hydros

Breeding and Raising Clams....

basser1

In our tanks?

Sound incredible? Well apparently it's being done.

I saw this article on Reef-Builders today

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/01/02/2013-marine-breeders-year-review/

They talk about what has been done this past year in Marine Breeding, not just fish. Although what they've done in fish breeding is pretty incredible.

But then I see where there is a fellow named Acro Al that is breeding and raising Tridacnas at his home in Australia. Here is part of the article:

Private Aquarist Breeds Tridacnas at Home in Australia

Aquacultured Tridacnids aren’t new, but this will still blow your mind, as it’s proof that things we tend to think of as “only viable at commercial scale” may actually be something we can scale down.

His name is “Allan van Zijl, 34 years old, Perth Australia. Been a reef aquarist/Acropora culturist for about 10 years”; He’s become known by his online shorthand “Acro Al” this year; a private aquarist working in a home setting, quietly rearing home-spawned Tridacna clams with the help of Gerald Heslinga (Indo-Pacific Sea Farms) and Phil Dor (Lagoonclams.com).

1507525_427403657388175_876876415_o-1024

Home-bred Tridacna clams now hitting the 3 cm mark – image from 12/29/2013, copyright and courtesy of Acro Al

No joke, this guy is breeding giant clams, you know, like oh, nothin special…just Blue Squamosa, and T. maxima, in his back yard. I think every coral fragger just got put on notice. You could say we’ve been following Acro AI’s Facebook page with a little enthusiasm.

We’ve still got a lot to say about the state of captive breeding in 2013, so check back soon for part 2 of the 2013 Marine Breeder’s Year in Review.

Always cool to see more captive bred stuff, even over aquaculture.

I'd wager that he will be able to rapidly create some really cool color morphs and make a ton of cash.

I find this very interesting.. not sure how it could be a viable option for replacing wild harvest, it's IMO going to be somewhat like breeding clowns - trying to get healthier specimens that are bred with unique patterns, but not replace wild collection.. except in the case of the clowns, that's pretty much replaced wild collection..

Archived