SaltCritters.com

Steve's LED complaint

arm0211

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spent over $400 to upgrade to Steve's LEDs in my coralife biocube 29 and it was a colossal waste of money. First of all the instructions they give are complete garbage. Secondly, the hood must be modified beyond recognition and the splash guard must be cut so it is no longer water tight. I spilled a small amount a water onto my hood and it shorted out the led system destroying them. Now I have to buy a new hood and go back to the old biocube lighting set up, which in all honesty wasn't that bad in retrospect.

I spent over $400 to upgrade to Steve's LEDs in my coralife biocube 29 and it was a colossal waste of money. First of all the instructions they give are complete garbage. Secondly, the hood must be modified beyond recognition and the splash guard must be cut so it is no longer water tight. I spilled a small amount a water onto my hood and it shorted out the led system destroying them. Now I have to buy a new hood and go back to the old biocube lighting set up, which in all honesty wasn't that bad in retrospect.

Steve's LEDs are a DIY project, not a finished product, If I spilled some water into any light fixture and it did not short out, I would concider myself very lucky. Electricity and water dont mix.

reefernanoman
I also was thinking of ordering from Steve's and had sent them an email to ask for lighting suggestions for my Spec V (3 months has gone by with no response). Sent an email to RapidLED and had a response within less than an hour. Ordered and received in less than a week. Blew out a few while hooking them up, sent an email to order replacements and they delivered to our club meeting (they are our sponsors). When hooking them up they would not fire up so I sent another email and got an immediate response. Basically I have nothing but good things to say about RapidLED but I'll stay away from Steve's.

Yeah, rapid LED has great customer service. They answered a whole bunch of dumb LED questions for me. My retro kit from them has been running for over a year with no issues on my NC 28G.

• 2 months later...

Archived