Innovative Marine Aquariums

Steve's LED complaint

arm0211

they are really not doing themselves a favor here....basically they are telling people not to purchase from them ever again

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done a few special orders from Steves in the past, and never seem to have problems. Perhaps if you point them to this thread?

Why couldn't you have sent everything back and let them fix it and reassemble it?

I actually considered Steves for another project, but won't happen now.

Why couldn't you have sent everything back and let them fix it and reassemble it? I actually considered Steves for another project, but won't happen now.

Well the drivers just connect to the heat sink by a pair of screws and they knew the driver was the issue..

And does anyone know if running just the blues for a month is bad?

Thanks for all of yalls input!

OneTrickPony
UPDATE:

I Bit the bullet and spent $20 on the driver.. They don't send my knob or wires back.. So now I have a driver with nothing to plug it in to..

Complete idiots..

Well the drivers just connect to the heat sink by a pair of screws and they knew the driver was the issue..

And does anyone know if running just the blues for a month is bad?

Thanks for all of yalls input!

So do you have the driver?

If you do just get some wire a hook it up, I'm sure you can get what you need from a local store.

Running just the blues for a month is bad. Just buy a driver from Rapidled.

How bad exactly...

So do you have the driver? If you do just get some wire a hook it up, I'm sure you can get what you need from a local store.

A dimming knob is also required.. I don't want to use two different knobs

So your more concerned about matching knobs than the coral in your tank. LOL

I haven't seen any negative effects from just the blues, and just learned Saturday they did not send everything back.

I am fairly new to the hobby which is why I was inquiring about if there even is a negative effect of just blues for that long.. What exactly is the harm of just blues for that long?

I've ordered from them many times with zero issues. Although customer service can be a little lacking at times. As well as the descriptions being off on some of the leds, which leads me to question if their binning is even correct (I have no evidence of this its just a thought). The key thing is Steves holds a niche in the led market for top binned luxeon leds at a good price and as long as thats the case I will continue to order from them.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Running just blues won't be bad for several days, but for a whole month it might not work too well for your corals. I'm no scientist, so I can't say for sure, but I would add some kind of white supplementation just in case, like a CFL bulb.

shortround92

Yep, so far I can only find Luxeon at Steves. They're comparable to the Crees and better than the off-brand stuffs for sure. I had trouble building my light too as I said before, but to be fair to Steves, I wasn't unhappy with their customer service. It's probably a mom & pop shop trying to make it in this tough economy.

You can do a lot with LED, buy the best components you can buy, and from whoever has the best prices. Just read up, educate yourself and let your imagination run wild. Or buy a fixture if you don't have the inclination or the time, and you have the dough. Arm0211, just make a run to the shack and buy some hookup wires and a pot and call it a day for your corals' sake will ya?. Don't make them go without nornal light anymore than they have to. my $.02.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The worst experience and customer service I have ever encountered. I have still not received the items I was promised after over 2 weeks.. I have not received a response in over 2 weeks as well. I asked for the tracking information, order update since I was ignored about the tracking number, and ignored again asking for a response explaining what had happened and when can I expect what they promised and what I purchased.

I got the "your email went to the spam mailbox" line. Then they proceeded to explain why all of this was my fault and that on the original purchase I provided the wrong address. which is BS because the original purchase made it to my house lol They have been completely unprofessional. Do any of yall know there actual phone number to the store? I would like to notify Steve so he can read all of Jeffs replies.

There last response was we don't feel like we should send you a replacement knob and wires but we will even though you got "impatient" with us. Seriously I don't hear from you for 3 weeks and you're surprised im getting impatient?

Running just blues won't be bad for several days, but for a whole month it might not work too well for your corals. I'm no scientist, so I can't say for sure, but I would add some kind of white supplementation just in case, like a CFL bulb.

I've run only blue LED's for months and months at a time because my white string keeps blowing. Nothing in my tank has suffered, which includes zoas and various softies, etc.

Yea I gotta agree I've had nothing but issues with my steves leds kit,really kinda sad. Cause now im stuck with a bunch of light hungry animals and nothing to give them light. That and being stuck with a $500 or so led paper weight.

Archived