Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steve's LED complaint

arm0211

I bought a 99% complete retrofit within 3 weeks the whites no longer work. Their response was it worked when it left the store.. They said it was user error.. Lol I followed their instructions to the "T". They also said it was a "rare" issue they don't encounter very often but it's still my fault? Be careful when going through Steve's LED's make sure you have extra money to spend for replacement.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like a driver issue,

That is the problem with a lot of DIY project supply's, some suppliers have better warranties than others.

Steve has a $ 5 Steve's LEDs Digital Driver Repair.

Honestly,

As a DIYer myself, I know that its very easy to blow or pop an LED. Or fry a driver. Even when you know what youre doing!

I've done all three. Im sure every LED guru here has done all three and more.

If youre not able to accept that risk, you really should just buy a premade AI, Kessil, Maxspect, or Ecotech fixture. They come with full warranties.

Whenever you DIY, no matter who you buy through, you should have extra money for part replacement.

Honestly,

As a DIYer myself, I know that its very easy to blow or pop an LED. Or fry a driver. Even when you know what youre doing!

I've done all three. Im sure every LED guru here has done all three and more.

If youre not able to accept that risk, you really should just buy a premade AI, Kessil, Maxspect, or Ecotech fixture. They come with full warranties.

Whenever you DIY, no matter who you buy through, you should have extra money for part replacement.

I really hate doing any project the first time, the learning curve for me can be very large at times.

But I do like building things my self. Thats the great thing about this hobby/ obsession.

I have been eyeballing some of the DIY controllers, but ..... I know better, I really want to , but I know better................

It was bought as a 99% completed set up because I don't know what I'm doing.. When they said user error it was insulting because I followed the instructions.

It's a biocube 29 which is why I went with Steve's but after this experience I'd wish I went with someone else..

It was bought as a 99% completed set up because I don't know what I'm doing.. When they said user error it was insulting because I followed the instructions.

It's a biocube 29 which is why I went with Steve's but after this experience I'd wish I went with someone else..

I wouldn't give up on it yet, If it was working for awhile and then stopped working it maybe something simple to fix,

I would start a new thread asking for help to trouble shoot your setup, pick up a simple volt meter and see where the power stops at.

Don't give up. it sounds like it would be an easy fix.

Good luck

I just bought from them too and am definitely not impressed and do not recommend them. The instructions are pitiful and when I asked a question through their customer service they took a while to reply and then told me to double check my work because I must have screwed something up.

Oh, forgot.

I've smoked the 10amp circuit amperage fuse in my meter working on my LEDs.

Buy extra fuses for your meter too, or expect to(factor them into the cost of your fixture).

Thats why fuses were invented, because we are human and make mistakes with electronics.

I highly recommend something like this, you should have one for each led string.

http://ac-rc.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=71

or the 1.5A one on the same site.

If you are new to electronics and still persist to make your own DIY LED fixture (if you dont know where it goes, thats a clue you're in over your head). Im not trying to be arrogant or insulting, my post is to save you grief and misery.

I just bought from them too and am definitely not impressed and do not recommend them. The instructions are pitiful and when I asked a question through their customer service they took a while to reply and then told me to double check my work because I must have screwed something up.

Did you double check all the connections, check each LED solder pad for continuity to ground/heatsink, reverse polarity, BEFORE you powered anything up?

Did you double check polarity and voltage from the drivers before you powered up the LEDs?

Oh, forgot.

I've smoked the 10amp circuit amperage fuse in my meter working on my LEDs.

Buy extra fuses for your meter too, or expect to(factor them into the cost of your fixture).

Thats why fuses were invented, because we are human and make mistakes with electronics.

I highly recommend something like this, you should have one for each led string.

http://ac-rc.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=71

or the 1.5A one on the same site.

If you are new to electronics and still persist to make your own DIY LED fixture (if you dont know where it goes, thats a clue you're in over your head). Im not trying to be arrogant or insulting, my post is to save you grief and misery.

This is why i purchased the 99% completed system. It was basically a plug and play. I'm an accountant i know absolutely nothing about electrical components.

I am just giving my 2 pennies, I read great reviews about their products and chose to use their lighting system in my BC. But there has been inconveniences that were not anticipated.

I'm not sure where you live, but most states have laws requiring anything sold to come with a minimum warranty - usually at least 30 days. Law is based on where you live, so the company has to comply. If you paid by VISA, they also carry consumer protections, PayPal not so much.

OneTrickPony
This is why i purchased the 99% completed system. It was basically a plug and play. I'm an accountant i know absolutely nothing about electrical components.

I am just giving my 2 pennies, I read great reviews about their products and chose to use their lighting system in my BC. But there has been inconveniences that were not anticipated.

Here is the link for the driver repair http://shop.stevesleds.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=Repair

Ok you are disappointed with his product and service, but do you really want to all start over again.

If it was me I would just buy another driver and be on my way and chalk it up to a choice you made and it didn't work out,

Or start all over, in the end it will come down to time vs money, again it's up to you.

Me I would try to at least salvage what I had even if I didn't like it.

It was working before, check for a loose wire, bite the bullet and send the driver in for repair or just purchase a new driver. You

Would just be changing a part out, label the wires, take a picture, undo one part, them replace it, consult the picture.

Change out the drivers to meanwells from ledgroupbuy again you have options.

Your an accountant pure logic, money in , money out. It's the same with electricity power in and power out, but it can bite you.

Good luck

When something works the first 3 weeks and suddenly it doesnt is hardly user error and mostly equipment fault. The fact that they are telling you to buy another driver from them is sprinkling salt on open wound.

Take this as your little lesson and opt for a better LED driver and never order from them again

OneTrickPony
When something works the first 3 weeks and suddenly it doesnt is hardly user error and mostly equipment fault. The fact that they are telling you to buy another driver from them is sprinkling salt on open wound.

Take this as your little lesson and opt for a better LED driver and never order from them again

I agree, but what will get his tank up and running again?

shortround92

I agree with KnH. Sounds like a driver issue. arm0211, you have options. 1) send the driver (Steve calls it The Double) in for repair for $5 plus postages to and from. 2) buy a replacement for $22 and changes (if you're not so sick of it by now) or 3) buy different drivers, like Mean Wells dimmables. Last time I looked at Rapid LED, they run about $32 each and you'll most likely need 2. If you decided to buy The Double replacement, make sure you check with them for the correct current rating for the kit that you bought.

The reason I'm in a position to say anything is I built a light from Steve's components. When all was said and done, I went through 2 power supplies, and 2 Aquarium Controller Interface boards (one was repaired under warranty). The ps weren't from Steve so I can't lay any blame there. In your case, hooking up the drivers was simple enough and to blame you for user error after it worked for 3 weeks is total bs. In my case, having the ACI was just introducing more complexity and more chances for things to go wrong, but it was needed in order to control the light with an Apex. In short, diy is risky, whether it's user error, crappy components and what not. From experience, the drivers are probably the least of your worries (after you replaced the one of course). It's the power supply. The one that crapped out on me that I bought on ebay was the same one that is offered in Steve's kits. If it dies on you, do yourself a favor and buy a Phoenix Contact 24V or any German or US made ps on ebay. Good luck.

I got Steve's LED as well. They originally sent me the wrong kit! They obviously fixed this no problem, and their service was actually good with me. But you can't really get out of sending the completely wrong thing so they didn't really have a choice haha.

Take a battery powered tester (2 AA batteries in series) and check each LED to see if it works. Check a working LED first so you know your tester is good. If the LEDs light, this is a driver issue as people suspect above. If not, it is a LED issue, which is less likely but more expensive and there is no point mailing back a good driver.

I've tried fuses, and would leave them out of future setups. Consider Meanwell LDDs or just straight meanwell drivers if you don't want to deal with Steve's again.

DIY Led is definitely not plug-in-play. You shouldn't have gone this route if that is what you wanted. The reason fixtures cost over $2 / watt and DIY is less than $1 / watt is support, not soldering. You have a big decision to make, either you lose your investment and need to buy a fixture, or you will need to learn a lot more.

I really do hope you get it fixed and sorry to hear about the bad experence. I bought a 99% kit because I didn't want to mess with anything and so far it has been great in my biocube 14. I had some extra stuff put in so it had violets and they were pretty cool about everything. Hope you can get something worked out.

UPDATE:

I Bit the bullet and spent $20 on the driver.. They don't send my knob or wires back.. So now I have a driver with nothing to plug it in to..

Complete idiots..

jedimasterben

UPDATE:

I Bit the bullet and spent $20 on the driver.. They don't send my knob or wires back.. So now I have a driver with nothing to plug it in to..

Complete idiots..

Why would you have sent anything but the driver?

Why would you have sent anything but the driver?

They asked for everything to make sure the driver wasn't the only issue. The email specifically states they would return the knobs and wires with the new driver. Now they are asking me to purchase them as well.

Archived