SaltCritters.com

Bluefish LED Controller: News Thread

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

app-mockup-render-resize.jpg

render.jpg

Bluefish LED controller is an app-enabled (Android/iOS), Wi-Fi connected device that can control a multitude of lighting products from your phone or tablet! With Bluefish, you can even control many LED products that do not have dimming interfaces or dimmable drivers.

Compatibility

Bluefish can control:

• Meanwell LDD Drivers for DIY LED setups
  • All Meanwell Dimmable LED Drivers for DIY LED setups
  • Kessil A360 Pendants
  • Nano Box LED Fixtures (all models)
  • Anything that accepts a 0-10V, 5V PWM, or 10V PWM signal!

and paired with the PowerPWM accessory, you can control:

• Ecoxotic Stunner LED products
  • Ecoxotic Panorama LED products
  • Current USA TrueLumen LED products
  • ReefBrite LED Products
  • Innovative Marine LED products
  • Vertex Illumilux LED products
  • Almost any LED product with a standard power supply!

PowerPWM is an inline dimmer that modulates the power to your LEDs with a PWM signal from the Bluefish controller. Essentially, PWM is turning the LEDs on/off much faster than your eye can see. This is the accepted "right" way to dim LEDs, as the spectrum remains the same despite the brightness. PowerPWM will be available as a plug-and-play product, and also in a DIY bare-bones version.

Screenshot_2013-12-13-22-11-24_zpsc56ec9Screenshot_2013-12-29-22-57-14_zpsc282ee

Screenshot_2013-12-29-22-33-13_zpsd99540Screenshot_2013-12-14-14-33-04_zpsa17b21

Awesome Features

Location Simulation:
Bluefish makes it easy to replicate the lighting conditions of any location, using actual weather data in real time! Just choose a city, and optionally use the current weather conditions (clouds, storms, etc), sunrise/sunset times (dynamic photo-period), and moon phase!

Webcam Views:
Integrate the video feed from webcams directly into the app! Check up on your tank, make changes remotely, or just have fun showing off....start a thunderstorm and watch the action from anywhere!

Thunderstorms (with actual thunder!)
Start a thunderstorm from the app and lighting strikes are synchronized with audio from a real thunderstorm. Connect your phone or tablet wireless to a bluetooth speaker for maximum effect!

Ridiculously Easy Setup:
WiFi configuration is extremely quick and easy. Select your network, enter the password, then hold the screen of your mobile device to the sensor on top of the Bluefish device. Your mobile device sends the configuration by flashing the screen (think Morse code). In about 10 seconds, your Bluefish controller is online and accessible from anywhere. Absolutely no router configuration necessary! Programming your light schedule and customizing your channels is a snap.

Future Accessories

Not only is Bluefish an awesome lighting controller, it's also the base for our vision of a complete aquarium controller. Add-on devices connect to the main unit through the BluePort connector. We're working on a powerbar, sensors, and a couple surprises! All accessible from anywhere through your mobile device!

Early Access

Product launch for the lighting controller is scheduled for March 2014. As of December 31st, 2013, we are putting the finishing touches into the Android app to start the beta test in January. If you are interested in participation in the beta, please sign up for the mailing list here: Aquarium LED Controller. Beta testers will have early access to prototype accessories as well.

aquarium-diy-led-controller.jpg

diy-aquarium-led-controller.jpg

aquarium-led-controller.jpg

diy-led-controller.jpg

Questions and comments are always welcome. :)

• Like 8

Thunderstorms (with actual thunder!)

Start a thunderstorm from the app and lighting strikes are synchronized with audio from a real thunderstorm. Connect your phone or tablet wireless to a bluetooth speaker for maximum effect!

We do like our thunderstorms :D.

Everyone is likely curious, what's the pricing going to be like? I don't think I saw anything on your website about it.

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

The price will be $179. That will include the lighting controller, power supply, and 3 connection cables.

We're going to do a pre-order discount when we're a little bit closer to production. :) Please make sure to subscribe to our mailing list if you don't want to miss that: LED Controller

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

We do like our thunderstorms :D.

Oh yes, so do I. :)

I think a controller should be reliable (to protect your investment), easy to use (because struggling with technology sucks), and FUN (because that is what this hobby is supposed to be).

Oh yes, so do I. :)

I think a controller should be reliable (to protect your investment), easy to use (because struggling with technology sucks), and FUN (because that is what this hobby is supposed to be).

+1 there. So far that's what it looks like your company is putting forward, and that's awesome. Any early reviews coming up for the Bluefish controller and application?

• Like 1

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it i want one lol

Couple of questions though:

- Will this work with any DIY setup? I currently have a 140W CREE LED setup using the typhoon controller...

- If the answer to question one is yes, will it just be a case of replacing the controller and plugging evrything back in? I have a PCB board with the 4 meanwell drivers on it.

- And lastly!! will you ship to france?

I missed the update that was sent out to the mailing list. Yahoo mail sent it to spam, and when I marked it not spam, it disappeared. Could have been user error, but the way Yahoo has been working lately it's probably a new feature.

Did i miss any important info?

The specs make mention this will work with lighting from Nano Box. Being there is a controller built into the Nano Box products how does the Bluefish product interact?

• Like 1

Very excited to see this might become a full reef controller. It's about time someone comes up with something clean, simple, and elegant. The reef controllers currently on the market are simply outdated and should have been retired years ago from their respective companies product lines.

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it i want one lol

Couple of questions though:

- Will this work with any DIY setup? I currently have a 140W CREE LED setup using the typhoon controller...

- If the answer to question one is yes, will it just be a case of replacing the controller and plugging evrything back in? I have a PCB board with the 4 meanwell drivers on it.

- And lastly!! will you ship to france?

It will work with any dimmable drivers. The controller comes with mini audio plug connectors, so you just need to cut and strip the cable and connect to your board. Shipping shouldn't be a problem.

I missed the update that was sent out to the mailing list. Yahoo mail sent it to spam, and when I marked it not spam, it disappeared. Could have been user error, but the way Yahoo has been working lately it's probably a new feature.

Did i miss any important info?

PM me your email address and I'll send it again.

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

The specs make mention this will work with lighting from Nano Box. Being there is a controller built into the Nano Box products how does the Bluefish product interact?

You would need to disconnect the current controller before connecting the Bluefish. We're more than happy to provide connection advice/drawings after the product launches.

• Like 1

Woring on a few options for this controller. I will be offering an upgrade over the current controllers as well. Spencer ( Genix ) and myself will be working together over the next few months.

-Dave

Exactly, the connections will be easy to change out. I will have these as well for customers.

-Dave

You would need to disconnect the current controller before connecting the Bluefish. We're more than happy to provide connection advice/drawings after the product launches.

• Like 1

What intrigues me the most is the iDevice app.

I am wrong in also thinking that besides controlling lights that pumps can be controlled as well with the powerbar?

I'd also be interested in beta testing. One of the many hats I wear is iOS app Q/A testing and user manual creation.

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

I am wrong in also thinking that besides controlling lights that pumps can be controlled as well with the powerbar?

Correct. But just to be clear the power bar is a ways off yet.

RayWhisperer

Welcome to N-R.com.

I've always wanted a controller that used, I guess we could call it real time data, from specific tropical locations. However, my question is. Is this really real time, or is it offset? I mean, I really don't want my tank simulating high noon at midnight.

SpencerShepard

Welcome to N-R.com.

I've always wanted a controller that used, I guess we could call it real time data, from specific tropical locations. However, my question is. Is this really real time, or is it offset? I mean, I really don't want my tank simulating high noon at midnight.

Thanks. Great question. So the sunrise and sunset times for a simulated location are pulled in that location's local time. So you'll never have anything as backwards as the example you gave. However, we also give the option to offset the photoperiod. Have a look at this screenshot:

Screenshot_2013-12-29-22-33-13_zpsd99540

Admittedly this screen needs a bit of polish so that it's easier to understand what's going on. The sunrise/sunset times near the top are what's pulled from the from your simulated location. I'm a night-owl, so those times don't work for me. So in my settings (not shown), I've selected Sunrise Time Simulation, and not Sunset Time Simulation. What this does is shift the photoperiod of the simulated location so that it ends at my manual sunset time, which is 12:05am. So each day the sunrise time will change to match the location's photoperiod, but sunset time will stay the same.

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Thanks. Great question. So the sunrise and sunset times for a simulated location are pulled in that location's local time. So you'll never have anything as backwards as the example you gave. However, we also give the option to offset the photoperiod. Have a look at this screenshot:

Screenshot_2013-12-29-22-33-13_zpsd99540

Admittedly this screen needs a bit of polish so that it's easier to understand what's going on. The sunrise/sunset times near the top are what's pulled from the from your simulated location. I'm a night-owl, so those times don't work for me. So in my settings (not shown), I've selected Sunrise Time Simulation, and not Sunset Time Simulation. What this does is shift the photoperiod of the simulated location so that it ends at my manual sunset time, which is 12:05am. So each day the sunrise time will change to match the location's photoperiod, but sunset time will stay the same.

I follow you. I like the fact that you can simulate the sunrise/sunset, and still select for some independent control.

Now you need to get to work on a power bar, top off systems, pump controls and some way to adjust the barometric pressure in my house. That way I can simulate exactly what's happening in some far off tropical location. I'll be expecting a solution shortly.

• Like 4

I follow you. I like the fact that you can simulate the sunrise/sunset, and still select for some independent control.

Now you need to get to work on a power bar, top off systems, pump controls and some way to adjust the barometric pressure in my house. That way I can simulate exactly what's happening in some far off tropical location. I'll be expecting a solution shortly.

I think you might be sorry when the Category 3 + Typhoon mode is invoked in your living room.

• Like 6

I think you might be sorry when the Category 3 + Typhoon mode is invoked in your living room.

No freaking joke. That would SUCK !!!

• Recommended Discussions