ReefCleaners.org

clam-safe crabs

GHill762

I want a larger crab but don't want problems with my clams. I had an emerald in the past and he was a cool little feller but he got banished to the sump when he attacked my clam like catnip.. I'd really like a pom-pom or a porcellain crab or something along those lines, something a little bigger (bigger than hermits) and neat to watch.

Any advice? which "larger" crabs are clam safe? (they have to be completely reef safe too)

Porcelain are filter feeder types so they should be okay with clams.

Pom pom can sting corals since they have little nems but they dont always have them

all of them that I know of, with the exception of the emerald (and the non reef safe buggers) like playing hide and seek meaning, good luck finding them haha.

I've got 3 pom pom's, 1 porcelain, 1 SPS crab, 3 sexy shrimp, 1 Periclimenes idontknowhat, 1 fire shrimp and a crap ton of various size and type hermits. The most damage any of them do is walk over, or pick some random morsel off my clams. However, none of these are larger than any typical hermit. Well, I guess the fire shrimp is quite a bit larger, but none of the others are.

Also, my pom pom's are out every time I feed. This took a few months, but they are out every morning for chow now.

So it sounds like pompoms and porcelains should be fine? I don't want another ohshit moment when crab decides to eat my clams.. Lol..

Thanks guys!

Forgot about the pistol shrimp. That one never ventures far from the rock it's under. However, it does on occasion, partially bury one clam. I'd say once every 2 weeks I'll be fanning sand off the clam. Then the shrimp moves to a different part of the rock to excavate.

are they ever out? Do you see them?

They have a knack for finding the areas in your tank that have good medium-speed flow (to carry food to them). I found that they usually stick around where you first dropped them in the tank, at least for the first few weeks. I'd place one right front and centre and it will find a good place around that area to roost.

I have an MP10 and it generates an undertow that runs across the bottom of the tank, front and back. I have two porcelains and one parks in the front and one in the back.

• 1 month later...

I can say my sally lightfoot has never bothered either of my clams.

And is a great addition to my reef tank! An amazing eater of algae, food and detritus. :) W-

I can say my sally lightfoot has never bothered either of my clams.

And is a great addition to my reef tank! An amazing eater of algae, food and detritus. :) W-

sally lightfoots are cool, I've heard they turn pretty agressive as the get older though..

sally lightfoots are cool, I've heard they turn pretty agressive as the get older though..

Well, mine's gone from nickel size to silver dollar size and is always on her best behavior.

Hardest worker in the tank. :)

Archived