Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA Cube Garden Pico Reef - A Journey - 6/6 Small Update

gnatster

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp....

The Reef Cleaners order is way to much stuff. I'm having to feed this group a few times a day. Doing every other day water changes too. Went to a local reef club meeting today. Was given to the bright idea of selling or trading some locally. Posted on the local club site to come and get some.

The meeting was at Reef Systems Coral Farms, not more than 20 min from home. Pretty cool place. I can see going out there fairly often to look around and maybe pick something up, it's a fun little drive. While there I picked up a few Ricorodia and Zoa's. Not a lot by any means want to test the waters so to speak.

Once they all open fully I'll break out the camera.

Have you thought about maybe seeing if a lfs with take them and possible give you a small store credit ?

I know when I had to move ( out of state ) that's where I took majority of my livestock and they offered cash and or store credit,cash was of course a lot lower than what they gave me in store credit.

A pics of the Zoa's recently added. They were not labeled with any of the common names I see when looking around.

DSC_2525.JPG

DSC_2496.JPG

Picked up a Porcelain Crab and Red Head Goby today. The Goby is hard to photograph, I'll get him though.

DSC_2620.JPG

Get a seasoning needle and inject his behind with some peroxide !!! Your Zoa's look amazing though man !! How's te tank doing ?

Tank is doing very well thanks. Going real slow here to give time for everything to settle in nicely.

The one pictured is the small one. I found a larger one deep in a crevice of a rock first, then I went hunting and found that one in the Zoa's. The other bigger one had to come from that Zoa rock I figure. If there are two there are bound to me more that I can't see or or just to small yet. I've ordered 4 Berghia for delivery tomorrow. The place has some good looking Rasta Zoa's too so they are coming as well.

The one thing I have yet to do is figure out how to take a full tank shot and not have artifacts from the the LED frequency.

• 1 month later...

A lot has happened since I last wrote.

Went on vacation in the Smokey Mountains for a week or so. Came home, next had a heart attack. Spent a week in the hospital getting stabilized enough for a triple bypass. Now finally back home recuperating from all this fun.

Tank is going on 4 weeks with no water change. Egads. I know it needs one bad cause I'm sure my friends I'm sure are over feeding

Stay tuned for updates, not real soon though.

Oh damn man,you've had a rough few weeks then. Hopefully you're healing well. Just take it easy man,that sh*ts nothing to mess with. Keep us updated man !!!

I work near where Gnatster lives, so I dropped by his place after work today to do some tank maintenance for him. Considering what Gnatster and the tank have gone through in the past month, both were looking better than I expected. :)

I work near where Gnatster lives, so I dropped by his place after work today to do some tank maintenance for him. Considering what Gnatster and the tank have gone through in the past month, both were looking better than I expected. :)

Now that's awesome to hear. It's nice to see what type of good/tight community we have here at NR. Granted,we do have some not so nice people,but it's people like Mirya that make me glad to be a part of this forum !!!

How's he doing btw,I hope good ?

He's doing as well as you can after a triple bypass. Tired, and I'm sure his chest still hurts! The tank had yellowed water and some green slime algae, but no GHA or other nasty nuisance algae. Once I cleaned the glass and changed the water, it was glowing. It took me less than 30 min to mix up the saltwater, siphon out the old water, pump in the new water, and clean the glass. Gnatster's brother was over cooking him dinner and was surprised at how quick the tank maintenance was. Gnatster told him there are advantages to having a pico aquarium!

He's doing as well as you can after a triple bypass. Tired, and I'm sure his chest still hurts! The tank had yellowed water and some green slime algae, but no GHA or other nasty nuisance algae. Once I cleaned the glass and changed the water, it was glowing. It took me less than 30 min to mix up the saltwater, siphon out the old water, pump in the new water, and clean the glass. Gnatster's brother was over cooking him dinner and was surprised at how quick the tank maintenance was. Gnatster told him there are advantages to having a pico aquarium!

That's good man. I'm glad to hear that,my uncle actually just went thru the same procedure,had to go back to the hospital because he some how busted open his incension for his heart surgery.

I'm glad to hear Gnatster is taking it easy,and hopefully has super speedy recovery and stays healthy. It's always a long process. I'm also glad to hear the tank wasn't in too bad of shape though,that's always good.

Hope you are feeling better Gnatster. Love the tank and looking forward to updates when you get around to it :D.

I wish I could give a "Super Like" or reddit Gold or something to Mirya.

Awe, just trying to help out a fellow reefer! It's neat to actually have someone from an online forum live nearby.

I don't want to derail Gnatster's thread... so I'll start off with something for Gnatster. I got something for your tank. :) Crazy Memorial Day live sale and I couldn't help myself! I figure it'll be a little while before you can head over to Phishy or Reef Systems anyways. I leave town for a business trip next week Tuesday, when would be good for me to drop by before then? I can also do another water change for you then.

For the semi-derailment, I want to say thank you to the donor of my Premium Membership. As I told Chris, it left me speechless. I figure who wouldn't go help out another reefer with something as simple as a water change, I don't think I did anything special. But anyways, in thanks to the nifty person who donated my membership, I made you cookies:cookies-smiley-emoticon.gif

badfish816

great build. sorry to hear about the heart problems. one thing that is bugging my OCD is the light looks crooked in the pics. is this an optical illusion of is one side lower than the other? cant wait for some more updates once you are feeling better. after everything i have read on nanobox, i am definitely picking up a nanotide for my picotope once setup again. awesome work Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

badfish. You are correct, I thought the angle was just in the pictures. But I kept looking at the light and at other horizontal surfaces. The right side wire was 1/4" shorter than the left. I've fixed that now.

Not a whole lot to report, I've not really been up for tank care right now. It needs another water change, it will be soon.

Before all this health fun I had placed an order with Dave of NanoBox fame for one of his new tanks a light and top off container. I had to put it all on hold, I'm happy to report that I'm feeling good enough to get that ball rolling again. I'll be doing a planted tank

Last week out of the blue Mirya called me and said she had a bit of fun at an online sale over the Memorial Day weekend. She proceeded to bring over and place some zoa's and ricordia's. I'm sorta flabbergasted how great everyone has been in helping me out. Being a very independent person I've been having some difficulty with accepting all the assistance. I am grateful for it and hope to be able to return the kindness in spades.

Good to hear from you Gnatster! I'm back in town now from my business trip, so I'll likely call you tomorrow about seeing to that water change.

wish i was closer so i could stop and hang out for a bit. how you feeling man?

Thanks for asking. Some days good, some days I hurt a lot. Have some complications with a slow healing wound that is slowing me down a good bit. Be at least another 2 weeks before I can drive. Arrghh.

Archived