Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA Cube Garden Pico Reef - A Journey - 6/6 Small Update

gnatster

Patience is now being tested. I know in my head it should not be for such a simple thing but it is...

UPS tracking had the ESV Salt and Air, Water, Ice RO/DI to be delivered yesterday. The delivery did not arrive yesterday, the tracking went from "Out for delivery" to "Emergency conditions beyond UPS control".

Golly, I wonder why, could it have been the 11" of snow Tuesday night and the lack of plowing on residential streets. Coupled with the fact that my UPS deliveries usually arrive between 4-5 in the afternoon. I'm thinking my poor UPS guy just was overwhelmed by the cold and snow.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MySafeWordIsWhiskey

I love the ESV salt mix...but I had an odd experience with it a while back. When I mixed in 1 gallon increments the parameters were way off. I posted about it, but never heard of anyone else having similar experiences:

Just thought I would put this out there.

My Calcium, Alk and Magnesium have been very high.

I use Bionic ESV 4 part salt mix. When I first set-up the system, all the parameters tested fine. As I was using Zeo, I did not do a WC for the first few weeks as the tank cycled. When I tested for Alk, Calc and Mag, everything was fine. I usually make up about 2 gallons for my WC and only test for SG (about 1.025). I use a refractometer.

I recently got SPS and I have not seen much if any PE. So I started running through tests. When I tested for AlK, Calc and Mag it was very high, much higher than you would want in the tank.

ALK: 11.2 dkh
CALC: 500+
Mag: 1500+

I tested a new 2 gallon batch of water and got readings of:

SG: 1.0245
ALK: 10.4 DKH
CALC: 550+
MAG: 1500+

I then made up a new 5 gallon batch of water and tested it and the readings were much more in line with how they should be:

SG 1.0245
ALK: 8.7
CALC: 420
Mag: 1360

Not sure if anyone else has had similar results from making very small amounts, but just thought I would put it out there so that no one else drives up their values too high with small water changes using the ESV Bionic 4 part. I will just make larger batches from now on (5 gallons and up).

I guess I could tinker with the smaller batches and add less of each component, but it seems like more trouble than it is worth to figure out what the quantities should be.

Interesting results with the ESV Bionic 4 part. My plan is to mix up 5 gallon batches at a time. I've picked up 22qt Cambro food safe containers for both the RO/DI container and the Salt Mixing container as the fit neatly under the bathroom sink in this small apartment.

Not only are they easy to drill into for the float valve in the RO/DI there are good tight fitting lids to keep stuff out. Being translucent growth in the container of not wanted stuff should be kept to a minimum.

cambro-22sfsp-22-qt-square-food-containe

They are not the least expensive containers around. They are quite sturdy, taking abuse quite well.

Lookin forward to seein where you go with this, I have a mini m sitting in my basement I am looking for inspiration for.

I like!

Thanks!

I love the ESV salt mix...but I had an odd experience with it a while back. When I mixed in 1 gallon increments the parameters were way off. I posted about it, but never heard of anyone else having similar experiences:

I guess I could tinker with the smaller batches and add less of each component, but it seems like more trouble than it is worth to figure out what the quantities should be.

How do you measure the four parts?

I'm going to use a scale to weigh out the parts.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Thanks!

How do you measure the four parts?

I'm going to use a scale to weigh out the parts.

I have just been using the provided scoops and cups...

When I make 5 gallons it works out perfectly. All measurements are just where they should be. If I try to do it in 1 gallon increments the parameters are too high (except for specific gravity which is still spot on). I make 5 gallons now at a time now and change a gallon a week.

Now getting the excitement level is back up.

RO/DI and Salt finally arrived after being bumped by UPS a few times due to weather,.

Received shipping notification from Dave on the above light.

Made arrangements to use the landlords metal shop downstairs this Saturday after our MINI Clubs Donut Munch where I'll design and build fixture to hang the light from.

Dare I say we might even be looking to get wet later in the weekend....

With lights in hand it was time to take the tank, light and some ideas down to the metal shop next door. The basic plan is to build a fixture of the style the tank came with when I bought it.

ADA Solar Mini

Solar_Mini.jpg

We came up with two different designs after looking at the materials on hand. One has the light hangers made of round bar stainless steel with a 180 degree radius rolled in. Then tapped to bolt to the base as well as for the wire hangers. However after taking into account the room needed to service the AC50 we'd of had to add to much to the base to suit the location of the tank.

The other solution was to use bar stock with the pole on the side of the tank. This is what we did. First we looked at using 1.5" square bar. It was to big for the scale of the tank. We found some 1" bar, laid it over the tank. You can see it fits the scale.

IMG_1149.JPG

First to be made was the base. An idea was sketched, then measurements taken. Then a drawing was created. The first iteration is below. Looking at the design on paper the leg off the side just didn't look right, there was also some fear of a cantilever effect bending the base plate over time.

IMG_1151.JPG

Found a piece of 20 gauge stainless that was real close in size. Trimmed it up. Radius-ed the corners and edges. Gave it a suede type finish that matches other stainless work they used when renovating my apartment.

The crappy iPhone result.

IMG_1153.JPG

A set of drawings were created for the pole after more careful measurement. There is a range of 12" of adjust-ability for the light designed in. After cutting, grinding and putting on a matching suede finish.

IMG_1154.JPG

The vertical pole placed for photo op

IMG_1155.JPG

Final reference drawing to determine tapped hole locations.

IMG_1156.JPG

The final welding will be accomplished by the shops welder who does the most awesome welding work. I just have to wait for the busy shop schedule to free up some. I think I'll bake them muffins to hasten the opening of the schedule.

I agree with jr !!! That hanger is going to have so much sexiness. Are you going to keep it the stainless color or try to paint it ( if possible ) ?

The finish will be sueded stainless. I may send it to the powder coat shop to have a clear finish added and to soften some of the curves a little.

Just took advantage of the Marine Depot sale to pick up the Hanna Checker Kit for Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity and pH testing. Think I might head to the LFS today for some other supplies, that is if the snow stops soon.

Couldn't help but notice you are in Central Ohio, where exactly. I grew up outside the Ontario area. I like the mount idea, killer setup!

Downtown Columbus / Short North area

Since many of us with ADA tanks do not remove the ADA sticker and Dave at Nano Box included a few stickers with the light I thought it would be fitting to add the stylized "n" to my ADA tank.

DSC_2333.JPG

I've been following for awhile now, hoping to see some pics of your planted tanks. and can't wait for this tank to get wet!

ps, check my join date and post count......

Archived