Coral Vue Hydros

Spazizz's 25g Cube UPGRADE

spazizz

8-8-2014

http://s387.photobucket.com/user/spazziz/media/Aquarium/25g%20cube/DSCI0012_zpse436bcf2.jpg.html'>DSCI0012_zpse436bcf2.jpg

7-10-2014

101_0076_zps9fb391c4.jpg

5-21-2014

DSCI0015rf_zpscbc8fdc6.jpg

5-5-2014

DSCI0032_zps40be60f8.jpg

About the the tank-

Barebottom

150 watt Sunpod w/ 10k ushio

BH-90 Skimmer

HOB Horizontal ATS

Current life

2x Percula clownfish

Banggai Cardinal

Splendid Dottyback

Green zoas

RPE paly

Blue zoas poss. panama blues

Red macro

Original post

Well since I got my skimmer I figured things can only go up from here, so now I can start to document the tank's progress.

FTS 12/27/2013

DSCI0045_zps3ac8a01b.jpg

I have a chalice that's growing really fast. I think it's a hollywood stunner but right now it's brown and ugly. All of my other corals are coloring up in my 5.5g until I get this tank functioning properly.

Nice! Post more pics!

MOAR PICS

Ill get some tomorrow. B)

I fragged the chalice a few times by accident moving it around. So thin.. Once my green montipora starts growing and regains it's colors back Ill know I'm ready for more corals.

I am still dialing the right amount of hours of light for my ATS. Right now I am trying 12 on 12 off. I tried 18/6 but my growth was very yellow but the farther you got away from the light the greener is was. I just cleaned the screens a day ago and I just switched the light schedule when I cleaned it.

Slanted ATS

DSCI0055_zps802e8437.jpg

Light over the ATS

DSCI0056_zpsd0d213be.jpg

I'm experimenting with the zip ties

DSCI0057_zps05ef810c.jpg

Red macro algae popped up when I switch to the 10k ushio

DSCI0062_zps77e4df92.jpg

Ugly chalice

DSCI0064_zpsce59fbe5.jpg

Skimmer Juice

DSCI0059_zps361714b5.jpg

Dottyback

DSCI0071_zpse0f696b5.jpg

Details about my rock- All of the rock in my tank has been continually "live" since 2008, some of it is reef cleaners dry rock(two bottom pieces), the rest I think is mostly fiji and one man made piece that was thrown in the ocean(curvy rock at the very top of my tank).

He has been very good. My cardinal will chase him around every now and then, he just runs. The only thing he doesn't like is snails. I see him carrying around dwarf ceriths every now and then. It's funny the way he spits them out.

How well behaved has the splendid dottyback been?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new clown had brooklynella, so tough to beat. I just finished treatment yesterday but now I think it has bacterial infections so I'm treating with furan 2. Rough time for the little guy.

I also started dosing sugar and since doing so my algae scrubber is starting to grow. I think I'm going to try vinegar out.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to update.. Tried vinegar, I didn't notice a difference. Since the algae scrubber was doing so well, the hair algae in my display decided it wanted to play to. So I'm running my light for 4 hours instead of 8 hours now. I think the red macro algae likes this change.

Here are some pics of my scrubber right before I cleaned it. The hair algae is growing at the top and making its way down.

DSCI0022_zps1e828028.jpg

No water flow

DSCI0023_zps7c456602.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

DSCI0032_zps40be60f8.jpg

Beginnings of a polyp garden + olive snail that I acclimated to full SW

DSCI0002_zpsb13859ad.jpg

Will eat your children

DSCI0004_zps302f5d30.jpg

This is the best shot I could get of the new clown

DSCI0040_zps227e2214.jpg

Together

DSCI0035_zpsf74a88cd.jpg

DSCI0036_zps8ede2623.jpg

Algae is making it's way down and across the screen

DSCI0044_zps322b3468.jpg

DSCI0046_zps710c1764.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Algae scrubber has really grown a lot in one week. My polyps are growing as well, so the tank must be improving. Once my sps get their color back Ill know things are right.

DSCI0007_zpsc2e508d7.jpg

DSCI0004_zps5b7491a0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished a 10% water change. I probably spent a 1-2 hours cleaning this tank. I used airline tubing with a hard straw at the end to get into all the little holes in my rock work. I used only Oceanic salt since I only did a 10%. I removed at least a quarter to half of a cups worth of "sand". All the rocks keep trying to make their own sand bed :P

Half way through the water change my female clown started getting pissy with me and attacking me. Funny, futile but annoying.

All of my zoa/palys are doing good but my experimental sps has poor color and very little growth.*hate this tank* Downgrading crosses my mind probably once or twice a month..

The algae scrubber is still going strong.

Have I ever mentioned I hate pink corraline? It loves to grow all over my pumps and never where I want it.

The dottyback feels like a pointless fish, it hides most of the time. I would be happy with just two clowns and the cardinal but my wife thinks we should keep the dottyback.

~End long pointless post.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks I'm going to down grading to a 10g, at least until I get things under control...... Maybe...

I like the dimensions of the 10g but I do also have a 16g which is the same as a 10g but taller(I'm tired of tall tanks). My stand is 20 inches wide so thats why I have to stick to the 10g or 16g. The 16g would have to past a leak test though.

Ill probably use the rocks from the upper portion of the tank and maybe smash the larger rock that in on the bottom right side. Ill probably go for a heavier scape since Im doing the minimal thing in my 5.5g.

By downgrading Ill be able to do 100% water changes easily and they will be affordable. Id rather have a nicer smaller tank that I can maintian easier than I larger tank that looks like $h!t.

Well I made the switch. I chose the 16g for the extra volume and so my skimmer wouldn't touch the stand.

DSCI0022_zps29514be3.jpg

i'm not sure how I feel about the rock at the very top right, I might move it around. I don't want to get rid of it.

My skimmer is acting retarded, it spewing large bubbles and getting micro bubbles all over the tank. I think it might be because of the new water or because I shook it up and dumped all the dirty water out of it. The skimmer intake is block quite a bit of light, hopefully Ill just used to it.

I may have to retire the algae scrubber unless I can figure out a way to light it. I just dont have the room any more.

I moved the rock at the top. All the fish made the transition perfectly. And for some reason my skimmer has been working better than ever. I wish I had LEDs though, my MH gets so hot and warms up the tank quite a bit. I may have to cut my lighting hours. I super glued a lot of hydra while I was fiddling with the moving the rock. Now I have a super finger.

DSCI0001_zps2ab2c637.jpg

I'm kind of hating the porite rock. It's very round and feels out of place no matter where I put it. I would frag it if it wasn't filled with feather dusters. Some of them are pretty cool.

I also busted out the super glue gel and started a hydroid genocide/war. From now on any time I see any pop up they will be smothered... TO DEATH.

I'm no longer Bi-winning. I lost my cardinal fish, it killed it self getting stuck between my heater and glass.

Now, I'm down to three fish, I won't be replacing him at least not for a long time. He was one of my favorite fish.

Archived