Pod Your Reef

How to get rock flower nem to release it's foot?

dtitus1

If possible slowly remove the rock its attached to out of the water. As its exposed to the air it will begin to detach. This has worked for me on numerous occasions.

My LFS takes the rocks out of the water to get the anemones to release. Why do they have rocks in their anemone tanks? I have no clue.

This is how I remove BTA's along with patience.

In one overnight, mine had moved down so I could give it a better place to hitch. yeah, I don't like forcing it other ways.

Wow I've never had any nem let go just by pulling the rock out of the water. Every time I've had to get a nem off a rock I've had to break the rock under it's foot.

• 2 weeks later...

To resurrect this, 2 out of my 3 nems didn't release with the slowly exposing it to air method, the third one I haven't tried yet. Sort of leaves me in a bit of a pickle though as to what to do with these things...

Harrisonbored

Just spit ballin' here but... maybe try a few small pieces of LR rubble placed just barely on/around it. Enough so as to slightly

aggravate it and make it want to move. And then hopefully it just ends up on the rubble for easy extraction.

Or if not maybe the slow air method will work after that.

Haven't tried yet. I'm honestly gonna try touching it with an ice cube I've seen it work with a bubble tip and it seemed to be fine afterwards.

I moved my MP10 a couple weeks ago and my biggest maximini seems to like being blasted with it. I am going to have a hell of a time getting that one out.

• 1 month later...

I switched tanks a couple weeks ago and had one of my rock flowers attached to the bottom of the tank. After removing everything else and pointing a powerhead at its foot, nothing happened. I then tried an ice cube and it released right away and then attached again right away in the new tank and hasn't moved since. Seems to me that an ice cube might be the quickest method.

My LFS takes the rocks out of the water to get the anemones to release. Why do they have rocks in their anemone tanks? I have no clue.

the petco in the town over has a pretty decent selection of saltwater critters. i've been there on 3 separate occasions and wanted to purchase a maxi mini. every time i ask to get one the guy just says "yeah we can't get them off the rocks". soooo why "sell" them. lol.

Following. When I bought my bubble tip the owner hung the rock in open air over a bucket for 2 hours and the anemone just dangled there. Even when agitated with ice cubes as well. I ended up taking the rock. Then 6 months later it split. 2 is a crowd and I have no idea how to remove it. ID GIVE the anemone away if someone could help remove it. It's foot is deep in a porous rock fully encrusted with Acropora. Removing the rock is NOT preferable. I don't want my acros exposed to air that long. The anemone would hold out longer than they could

Archived