Pod Your Reef

Fluval Spec Owners Thread

evanski

2004jeeplaredo

I think im done with adding and upgrading my Spec V Reef. Im now at everything I wanted to do and am now planning to get the IM Fusion 20. Heres the latest pics of my tank.

2x Clowns

1x Yellow Watchmen (rarely comes out)

1x Red Banded Pistol ( Never Comes Out)

2x SPS

4x LPS

misc softies and inverts

FTS 11/25/2014

_DSC6511.jpg

Glass hood I made with the original stock hood structure...

_DSC6490.jpg

More

_DSC6492.jpg

_DSC6521.jpg

_DSC6480.jpg

_DSC6473.jpg

_DSC5036copy.jpg

_DSC0438.jpg

My Pink zoas i got for free are looking good

_DSC0425.jpg

GSP growing on glass

_DSC0400.jpg

_DSC0366.jpg

_DSC0368.jpg

_DSC0351.jpg

_DSC0277.jpg

_DSC0245.jpg

_DSC0196.jpg

_DSC0174.jpg

_DSC0170.jpg

_DSC0168.jpg

• Like 2

. How is the Par30 doing? I'm getting soon. Just wondering if it's the right choice for the 5gal

I'm really liking the light. My acan was doing awesome until my peppermint devices it looked yummy. The shrimp is gone now. My zoas and palys are putting off new heads.
  • 3 weeks later...

Was looking through my junk box and ran across an old jbj modular surface skimmer from the nano cube days ... Almost like it was made for the spec

Sorry for the sideways pics, iPhone screwed me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Getting ready to set up my new Fluval spec 5. I've never had anything this small that's self contained (55g reef, 20 long frag, 10 reef with 5 gallon sump) Has Anyone just gone With everything stock out of the of box or does the filter media need changing and lighting upgraded for li stock, inverts, buttons and shooms?

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of setting up a Fluval 12g reef tank. I'd like to get a premade light upgrade. I've only found two at this point. One is the Marine-Pac 3 which is over $600. The other is one on Amazon that seems common here.

Are there other good options for light upgrades?

I know it sounds strange, but Home Goods has tons of nice looking stands and cabinets that can be used for the Spec V.

Does any where sale a nice stand for a fluval spec V? Just finished drilling mine so I can add a small sump but can't find a nice stand for the life of me. I will post some pics as soon as I can get the stand situation figured out ...

• 1 month later...

Is anyone still active on this thread? I have a Spec V that's a planted tank now but its about to get a serious reef update. I've read most of the builds on here for about a year and mixed and matched what equiptment I liked best. The tear down of the planted is starting this week. The reef tank will be getting wet in January. Any owners have advice out there for me? I've already siliconed the bulkhead holes before my planted tank was running and the 606 is modified with new tubing. I originally wanted to start this tank last October, but financially wasn't ready so I made her a planted tank and started plotting and saving.

Tank: Fluval Spec V

Equiptment:

Lighting- nano box tide new model 5 channels. (On the way can't wait Dave)

Flow- mini jet 606

- hydor orbit deflector

Heater- Aqua via titanium 50 w

Filtration- Intank media basket

- Purigen 100ml

- filter floss

-chemipure

Ato- auto aqua smart ato

- 1 gallon reservoir

Dry rock-4.5 lbs pukani

Sand-undecided larger diameter white sand maybe something with pink flecks?

A bunch of other accessories: nano cleaning magnet, frag kit, test kits, ect.

Live stock: undecided probably a small goby down the road and zoas

Pics to come

Is anyone still active on this thread? I have a Spec V that's a planted tank now but its about to get a serious reef update. I've read most of the builds on here for about a year and mixed and matched what equiptment I liked best. The tear down of the planted is starting this week. The reef tank will be getting wet in January. Any owners have advice out there for me? I've already siliconed the bulkhead holes before my planted tank was running and the 606 is modified with new tubing. I originally wanted to start this tank last October, but financially wasn't ready so I made her a planted tank and started plotting and saving.

Tank: Fluval Spec V

Equiptment:

Lighting- nano box tide new model 5 channels. (On the way can't wait Dave)

Flow- mini jet 606

- hydor orbit deflector

Heater- Aqua via titanium 50 w

Filtration- Intank media basket

- Purigen 100ml

- filter floss

-chemipure

Ato- auto aqua smart ato

- 1 gallon reservoir

Dry rock-4.5 lbs pukani

Sand-undecided larger diameter white sand maybe something with pink flecks?

A bunch of other accessories: nano cleaning magnet, frag kit, test kits, ect.

Live stock: undecided probably a small goby down the road and zoas

Pics to come

You will be happy with the nano box for this tank. And you cannot beat the 606 for this tank. I recently gave one away to a very active reefer on NR, only asked for shipping. It was my spare, but since I started a 22L I decided to help someone out.

Side note: Please do not buy the aqua Via titanium heater. I have 2 of them, a 50W and a 200W. The 50W is now 3 degrees off, while the 200W is 8-9 degrees off. On top of that, they reset to the factory setting of 79F whenever the power goes out. So that means my 200W heater will cook my tank to 88-89F. This is after 2 years of use.

Everything I have listed is already purchased. The Aqua via 50w has been running well in freshwater for a year. It's within 2 degrees so I can't really expect anything better for 25 dollars. I am familiar with the reset after a power outage (luckily power outages where I live are rare unless we get a hurricane), but yea it's on the list for replacement. Even great heaters once they reach a year or two old can go awry.

Everything I have listed is already purchased. The Aqua via 50w has been running well in freshwater for a year. It's within 2 degrees so I can't really expect anything better for 25 dollars. I am familiar with the reset after a power outage (luckily power outages where I live are rare unless we get a hurricane), but yea it's on the list for replacement. Even great heaters once they reach a year or two old can go awry.

Hopefully yours stays within 2 degrees, I was astonished to see my 200W go over 8 degrees off. Everyone is recommending a Neotherm Heater, so I might give one a shot eventually, But the via aqua did fit so nicely in the Spec V.

For heaters I would go with something DEPENDABLE.....Cobalt heaters are great.

I have the 50W easy-therm in my spec V in the return pump chamber with the 606 and it fits well.

Here is the link

https://cobaltaquatics.com/caproduct/heaters/easy-therm-heaters/

The neo-therm is also a good choice, but they both cost more, but worth the money. The last thing you want is BOILED Saltwater Fish Stew.

Here is my build have not taken pictures lately but things are going well in the tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/359599-cichlidrookie-fluval-spec-v-build/

• Like 1

The neotherm is on my list. What do you guys think of this rock work? It fits and has a lot of nice features, I'm just worried it's going to make things allitle cramped. I might just use the piece on the left and some rubble for the other end of the tank.

image.jpg4_zpsydwc4sl7.jpg

• Like 2

Sad to see the old planted tank go today, but on to same sized and better things. LFS gave me $40 in credit for all my livestock and plants so clean up crew and a shrimp or two are paid for when the time comes around. Have a current orbit marine on there which won't see any use since the nano box is coming. I am really pleased with the look of this auto Aqua ato. I set it up on the tank, sensor in the display, hose line in the return pump chamber. Really nice that I don't have to have a bunch of gear in the tank and still get to keep my Intank media basket and have an ato. Let's just hope it works. It's going to be hard to wait until January to set this up, but I'm going to Belize for two weeks for some spearfishing over the holidays. I obviously can't get a new tank running and leave so it is what it is.

Questions:

Anyone know of a large grained black sand? I used to live on a black sand beach and I love the look but hate the magnetism and the fine grained stuff I've seen in person. Also any suggestions in general on sand beds? I want something larger in grain size to prevent a sandstorm if I increase flow.

Power heads, jeboa rw4 or hydor korallia 240? I have the 606 as the return with hydor deflector but if I get a power head I'll switch back to the old nozzle.

image.jpg2_zpskfwq1re3.jpg

After they get a nice vinegar bath I'm probably going to go with just the two pieces of rock since it looks cleaner. Frogspawn on the small rock. Zoa garden on the open sand bed/ small rock. Big rock cave? Maybe some rics, acans, monti cap, birdsnest way down the line. Open to suggestions!

image.jpg3_zpsh7qa2gjr.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsrcyuw30p.jpg

Might be time to start my own build thread.

• Like 1

Also is 2004 jeeplaredo still active? I am envious of that custom glass top. Can I get build specs on that?

Looks like he used 1/4" glass, and cut away as much of the stock top, but leaving enough in place to silicone the glass to it after he drilled the holes.

You can always PM him, he was active 2 weeks ago.

Hello Spec Owners!

I am diving into the reef keeping hobby as a fun and challenging project for my daughter and I. I have had freshwater planted tanks or varying complexity for years, and am ready to move to saltwater. I am pretty much decided on a Spec V. I like the look of the tank and am drawn to the AIO approach of this type of tank.

As someone who is new to this hobby I would love feedback on the setup plan. In addition to the Spec V, I am leaning towards the following components.

Filtration

Tampa Bay Saltwater "package" - 5 lbs live sand, 10lbs live rock, various inverts.

InTank media basket

Aqua clear sponge

Chempure

Macro

floss as needed

Equipment

Finnex Fugeray Marine +

Mini jet 404 or 606.

50 watt heater (haven't landed on type yet)

I haven't decided on stocking yet. I figure we will get the tank set up and the sand and live rock established then decided on stocking. Will probably keep it to one small fish and a handful of corrals.

Plan on getting my RO/DI water from the LFS for now, may go with a RO/DI unit of our own eventually. Expecting on daily or other-daily top offs as needed, and once a week, or every other week water changes, depending on how water tests.

Anyone have any ideas where the 404 or 606 pumps can be found (discontinued ?), or a similar replacement that fits the space of these tanks.

Any feedback and guidance would be very appreciated.

Thanks