2 x Maroon Clownfish

1 x Olive Faced Pseudochromis

1 x Indigo Dottyback

Invertebrates

1 x Sand Sifting Starfish

15 x Snails approx, various species

2 x Emerald Crabs

** Original first post **

I'm on the lookout for some awesome LED's.

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
nanolutionary

Thanks Angel<3 nano's for pointing me in the right direction, after a worldwide Internet search guided by you and student budgetary constraints it's looking like these Par 38 bulbs could be the two suspended above my nano :)

ScreenShot2014-01-05at133630.png

ScreenShot2014-01-05at133654.png

Later when I set up my larger 'once-I'm-earning' tank it will most likely be Micmol's Aqua mini LED. I was thoroughly impressed with these lights even though the Asian community don't seem to have mastered the English language quite as well as they've mastered their products.

ScreenShot2014-01-05at134235.png

Going to order my lights early this week, if anyone has any 'what the hell are you doing!?' comments about the lights I'm thinking of they'd be just as welcomed as the 'good choice' comments. Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody! Well here's hoping anyway!

nanolutionary

Is this supplemental lighting? Am I correct that you WANT a spotlight effect!

This is a nano, having the two pieces of rock illuminated by a Par 38 or MicMol unit each, depending on which one I decide to go for.

nanolutionary

The PAR 38 that you selected only has white and blue LED's. Something with broader spectrum would be better.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

I'd selected those particular Par 38's because the whites are 'CREE' I understood this to mean those are more powerful than the other LED. Dimensions 40" (L) x 9.5" (W) x 10" (H).

nanolutionary

I'm really considering the MicMol units though, they're slick and I've seen good things written about them in other threads and on other sites. Though they're pretty expensive compared to other LED units I suppose comparatively well priced considering the equally advanced functionality alongside Radions.

nanolutionary

Those lights look awesome but I'm not an expert in fashioning brackets to keep the light over the tank yet, I want something which can clip onto the side of my nano.

I'd selected those particular Par 38's because the whites are 'CREE' I understood this to mean those are more powerful than the other LED. Dimensions 40" (L) x 9.5" (W) x 10" (H).

since your tank is only 10" deep, you won't need much power. I'd do a couple or maybe three PAR 30 (not 38).

The color version of the micmols might be OK.

nanolutionary

since your tank is only 10" deep, you won't need much power. I'd do a couple or maybe three PAR 30 (not 38). The color version of the micmols might be OK.

Would Par 30 be enough for SPS?

nanolutionary

You probably need 3 for coverage on a 40" tank though.

I got the original measurements wrong from memory when I was at work, I just doubled checked them and it's 23.5" (L) x 8.5" (W) x 11" (H). I was thinking one above each piece of (dry) rock as the centre seed LR will be removed once i've got coralline starting on the dry rock. My camera and camera skills suck at the moment, I need to ace the photography thread guidance and use my proper camera not this crappy handheld but it's late here in England right now, even if I got the larger camera ready I can't keep my eye lids open long enough to take the shot and that's assuming I could having not researched photography enough - basically better photo's to come than this one :):

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/DSCN2609.jpg.html'>DSCN2609.jpg

I guess I could always add another bulb if two isn't enough.

• Like 1

I got the original measurements wrong from memory when I was at work, I just doubled checked them and it's 23.5" (L) x 8.5" (W) x 11" (H). I was thinking one above each piece of (dry) rock as the centre seed LR will be removed once i've got coralline starting on the dry rock. My camera and camera skills suck at the moment, I need to ace the photography thread guidance and use my proper camera not this crappy handheld but it's late here in England right now, even if I got the larger camera ready I can't keep my eye lids open long enough to take the shot and that's assuming I could having not researched photography enough - basically better photo's to come than this one :):

DSCN2609.jpg

I guess I could always add another bulb if two isn't enough.

Two should be plenty if it's only 24" wide.

• Like 1
nanolutionary

Lights installed, I now have freckles on my face from exposure as I cleaned and fiddled with the tank and equipment last night :) Got a couple of different kinds of green algae growing on my seed piece of LR, I hope my regular water changes will prevent too much of a spread but I've added a turbo snail to help graze it down. Looks as though the coralline algae on the seed piece of LR is bleaching, it has gotten a mottled effect, unsmooth and has developed lighter coloured patches and also white spots. Hope it can recover back to its smooth uniform colour.

DSCN2741.jpg

DSCN2719.jpg

DSCN2727.jpg

DSCN2736.jpg

DSCN2733.jpg

nanolutionary

Niceee !!! What're your stocking plans for this tank ?

Thanks Reefkid88! So far I have a porcelain crab and turbo snail named Carmen Crabbera and Gary Sally respectively by my other half B) . Stocking plans are to increase my CUC with a nassarius snail, I'd like to get a pom pom/boxer crab. I'm thinking a hi-fin nano goby and red banded shrimp pair for the base and I'm not sure about adding another fish after that, would have to be really tiny.

That looks like bubble algae and I would pull it out asap as it is a nuisance. You don't want them to pop as that will release more spores.

I just pulled the middle piece of LR as I don't want to be dealing with an outbreak of bubble algae! I can't quite believe how fast the bubble algae grew in a day after I added my LED's, they must be doing something right...well, sorta!