Top Shelf Aquatics

Nanolutionary's 30g Long Shallow - Retired - Lost to Cyanobacteria

nanolutionary

nanolutionary

Just point a powerhead to the surface to fix your ph. Loving the tank by the way.

Thanks Eclipse, I have my AC20 pouring over the surface and my powerhead is deflecting off the rock towards the surface too, going to do another round of tests on the weekend to see if PH and Alkalinity have levelled out. Clearer FTS below as I was experiencing a bacterial bloom in the one above.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/Sunset.jpg.html'>Sunset.jpg

nanolutionary

Can't seem to get my Hammer to open up anymore than the above pic, perhaps it's the PH and Alkalinity as it only seems to extend to the pictured extent when I do a water change, running some more tests soon.

I hope you get it figured out soon. When I was having issues with all my lps including frog spawn I started to dose Kent Marine Coralvite. Everything bounced back very quickly and I've never had a tank look so healthy. I never tested it but my gut was telling me that my magnesium was low.

• 2 weeks later...
nanolutionary

I've moved the hammer away from the underneath the Par 38's and it has opened up more.

Unfortunately the porcelain crab I fear may be dead, mid-molt! I have tried nudging it but it appears lifeless as it hangs out the side of its exoskeleton.

The only hope I was clinging to was that perhaps this is natural behaviour as I understand sometimes the crabs wait for their new skeleton to harden before becoming active again, but surely it would depart from the previous one before waiting it out...

This morning I saw it had moved but then I found it pressed up to the intake grill of my powerhead, doesn't seem very promising.

• 7 months later...
nanolutionary

Hey guys - it's been a while, I've graduated, moved and decided to have a complete aquascape renovation, what do you think rock spires up or caves underneath?

3E1E19D6-06BB-4AB9-BADE-1B0CC9DDA57B.jpg9CDA3CBA-6D09-41C7-BB6A-4D4227F590E8.jpg

• Like 2

The rock work will probably depend on your stocking plans. If you're planning on having corals that are pretty aggressive, spines up. They can be placed further away from each other. If you're going with a main piece and then less aggressive corals around it, the cave would make a great shelter, either for fish or NPS corals.

nanolutionary

Tried to sheer off the edges of the central rock with plyers and though it cracked apart right down the middle I have done myself a favour because the newer rock scape I'm currently setting has spires and a cave for my dottyback.Look forward to showing it in the tank soon.

The rock work will probably depend on your stocking plans. If you're planning on having corals that are pretty aggressive, spines up. They can be placed further away from each other. If you're going with a main piece and then less aggressive corals around it, the cave would make a great shelter, either for fish or NPS corals.
Forgive my ignorance 'NSP corals'?
nanolutionary

I like the bottom scape a lot.

That is the one I have chosen for my new layout using the disintegration of the scape pictured to my advantage I have now incorporated a cave/tunnel into the central rock.

...and used a shed load of Ecotech CG on all joins coating the epoxy !

nanolutionary

So I had all my livestock in another body of water whilst I got the dry rock ready to be placed in the tank, whilst I was at work we had a sudden temperature drop in the UK and my heater couldn't quite keep the temperature up in the display tank so the water in my display tank - with the live sand I was hoping would seed my dry rock - went down to 21'C. I am now concerned that my livestock and dry rock which are all placed in the display with the sand are not going to be seeded if the denitrifying bacteria were to have died out at 21'C.

Any thoughts? Considering going to my LFS and buying some bacteria to re-seed just in case.

So I had all my livestock in another body of water whilst I got the dry rock ready to be placed in the tank, whilst I was at work we had a sudden temperature drop in the UK and my heater couldn't quite keep the temperature up in the display tank so the water in my display tank - with the live sand I was hoping would seed my dry rock - went down to 21'C. I am now concerned that my livestock and dry rock which are all placed in the display with the sand are not going to be seeded if the denitrifying bacteria were to have died out at 21'C.

Any thoughts? Considering going to my LFS and buying some bacteria to re-seed just in case.

Get a higher wattage heater, go ahead and purchase the bacteria in a bottle (I think I read you should stay away from Cycle because it isn't the right type of bacteria, but don't quote me on that), and keep testing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to be sure that the cycle has actually passed. You may want to pick up some Prime if you don't have it already to detoxify ammonia while the bacterial filter catches up with any small spikes.

nanolutionary

I've added in a second fluval e50 so I have two visual alerts and a backup to ensure the temp stays just right.

Going to see how parameters are and add in bacteria and prime if needs be.

nanolutionary

I'm excited to see what you do with this scape. Look fantastic.

Thanks xiaoxiy now I have placed the new rock in the tank and mounted the corals I'm eager to get a few pics up - working a lot - will get a chance to do that tomorrow. ?

nanolutionary

Hey guys here's the update after my reconstruction of the scape and movement to a slightly longer tank.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3268.jpg.html'>IMG_3268.jpg

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3260.jpg.html'>IMG_3260.jpg

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3266.jpg.html'>IMG_3266.jpg

Currently have an Indigo Dottyback and a cleaner shrimp in the tank, what a marvellous hybrid you American's created with this fish I love it so inquisitive agile and absolutely stunning colours!

As far as I can tell I have Zoanthids, a Maxima clam, a Hammer coral, a Brain coral, an Acan (green and red), Xenia, Mushrooms, a shrivelled ricordia right in the middle of the two mushrooms that I'm hoping will re-open after spending a day face down in the rock while I was at work and an unknown bright green fluorescent coral to the top right of the hammer. Any clarification from you guys would be much appreciated.

• Like 2
nanolutionary

I really like the shape of that tank- how many gallons? Looks like everything is doing good

It's 12 US Gallons, thanks Sk8n Reefer, early days yet but changing 1/3 water regularly to keep things as stable as possible.

Looking good man.

Thanks GtTap your BioCube is really cool.

• Like 1

It's 15 US Gallons, thanks Sk8n Reefer, early days yet but changing 1/3 water regularly to keep things as stable as possible.

Nice! That's the beauty of Nano's - water changes can make a huge difference! Looking forward to seeing it develop

• Like 1
nanolutionary