Coral Vue Hydros

Nanolutionary's 30g Long Shallow - Retired - Lost to Cyanobacteria

nanolutionary

nanolutionary

What're the dimensions of this ? I love the shape. That scape is really awesome too,leaves nice open space at both ends of the tank.

Its 77cm (L) x 23cm (W) x 27cm (H). That's exactly what I wanted to try and ensure when I was arranging the dry rock, as I have all the equipment over the right side I needed to keep quite a bit of space either side but I definitely like the less-is-more result.

• 1 month later...
nanolutionary

Tanks looking good- overstocked? How many fish in there- how are your parameters- if their ok I would leave things alone. You can always add some carbon or phos. Remover to control things in between water changes and jut watch over feeding. Do you have any hermits in there to pick up some waste. I really like how your tank looks!

nanolutionary

Tanks looking good- overstocked? How many fish in there- how are your parameters- if their ok I would leave things alone. You can always add some carbon or phos. Remover to control things in between water changes and jut watch over feeding. Do you have any hermits in there to pick up some waste. I really like how your tank looks!

Thanks Sk8n Reefer.

My Blue Spotted Jawfish jumped out today :(

So at least I'm slightly less overstocked at least :)

I'm averse to hermits since my first two fought to the death the survivor then wiped out half my snails.

I currently have a Yellow Goby, Pistol Shrimp (was paired with my blue spotted goby), Anthia, Blue Indigo Dottyback, Yellow Tail Wrasse (this is the one that will need a bigger tank soon).

Building a tank stand soon for my larger system :)

• Like 1
nanolutionary

I've already constructed a metre shallow long tank over double the water volume of the tank you see here, it's drilled and I have all the pipe work to take and return water to and from the sump.

I need to build a sump and stand simultaneously found a good DIY tank thread on thenanoreef.co.uk so I'm going to start designing them next week.

nanolutionary

This tank looks amazing man

Throw a 2 bulb t5 over this and it would look killer

Thanks Spidergaurdnano, I considered which lights to buy thoroughly, I was seduced by the radions, reality checked by my student bank balance and settled on Par 38's and a Par 20 moonlight because they're economical, efficient, long lasting etc etc.

Maybe one day I will try some T5's once I've secured myself a career.

• 4 weeks later...
nanolutionary

Guys why has my hammer coral disappeared into itself for the last month.

I've been changing parameters like temperature, flow, increased water changes but nothing seems to coax it back out - temperature only slightly but its just showing its green tips now extending.

I'm worried that the sand which got dumped on it during cleaning a while ago may have got inside it.

• Like 1
Guys why has my hammer coral disappeared into itself for the last month.

I've been changing parameters like temperature, flow, increased water changes but nothing seems to coax it back out - temperature only slightly but its just showing its green tips now extending.

I'm worried that the sand which got dumped on it during cleaning a while ago may have got inside it.

Is it glued down- can you hold it upside down and rinse it out or lightly shake it?

nanolutionary

Just changed all the stages of the RO/DI filter apart from the reverse osmosis membrane itself so now the reading is back down to 0ppm tds at the outlet, going to do a big water change of 50% and see if that improves things going forward this week.

• Like 1
nanolutionary

There is no doubt my hammer is wounded one of the three protrusions ejected what i can only describe as a lump of translucent flesh when i jetted some water into it, the other two protrusions have now started emerging though...

nanolutionary

hope it gets better, walling stuff is notably more difficult to help recover than branching ime.

Thanks hey, I've had this coral since the beginning nearly a year ago so i'm eager to see it bounce back, I was advised to use an iodine solution on another site to stop the flesh rotting further but i'm not sure I want to rock the boat, might just keep blasting it with turkey baster every few days.

No lid? how do you prevent jumping?

Certain species are notorious for jumping and I avoid those species.

I prefer the open top rock-pool visuals.

Hope the hammer recovers.

Also, your scape is crazy! Haha

Thanks jabeuy, both your tanks are amazing, I am tempted to take out my skimmer and filtration after seeing your 10G, how're you finding it for detritus though?

• Like 2

Thanks hey, I've had this coral since the beginning nearly a year ago so i'm eager to see it bounce back, I was advised to use an iodine solution on another site to stop the flesh rotting further but i'm not sure I want to rock the boat, might just keep blasting it with turkey baster every few days.

Thanks jabeuy, both your tanks are amazing, I am tempted to take out my skimmer and filtration after seeing your 10G, how're you finding it for detritus though?

Thanks!

My 10g was only up for a few months, but in that time detritus wasn't too bad. I just turkey bastered everything a couple times a week, and right before a water change. I'm actually setting up a 7.5g in the same fashion right now. Going barebottom on this one so it might be even easier toclean up detritus.

Cool which species do you recommend

Same I'm doing that with my tank

• 2 weeks later...
nanolutionary

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3415.jpg.html'>IMG_3415.jpghttp://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3407.jpg.html'>IMG_3407.jpghttp://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3398.jpg.html'>IMG_3398.jpghttp://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3400.jpg.html'>IMG_3400.jpghttp://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3399.jpg.html'>IMG_3399.jpghttp://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3408.jpg.html'>IMG_3408.jpghttp://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/IMG_3411.jpg.html'>IMG_3411.jpg

As you can see the euhpillia has still seen better days compounded by the lack of iodine treatment - had it delivered to my restaurant where I work but it hasn't arrived :(

Hoping it will just pull through without it but it's not looking good!

Maroon clown has settled in nicely since I put it in there the Saturday after xmas as has my boxer shrimp - under the skimmer, comes out to feed already and it's only been in there a few days.

• Like 1