Cultivated Reef

Nanolutionary's 30g Long Shallow - Retired - Lost to Cyanobacteria

nanolutionary

nanolutionary

Sounds like a good start to me !!! Those par38's look awesome. Some lps and Zoa's would compliment this tank really well lol.

How could I fail to mention the coral! The last additions will be to cover both rocks in all kinds of coral SPS nearer to the surface of course. I can't wait to get a clam!

• Like 1

The lights would compliment sps very very nicely !!! I could be saying this and be wrong,but with how close your lights are to the water surface and how shallow the tank is,sps should be fine just about anywhere in the tank.

As for keeping a clam with sps,I've heard it's kind of complicated seeming clams like a smidge dirtier water than sps like. I'm sure you could keep both though !!

Oh and for fish maybe you should look into ( if they are readily available over there ) some neon,Sharknose or Trimma gobies !! I believe all of which stay under the 1-1.5" size.

nanolutionary

The lights would compliment sps very very nicely !!! I could be saying this and be wrong,but with how close your lights are to the water surface and how shallow the tank is,sps should be fine just about anywhere in the tank.

As for keeping a clam with sps,I've heard it's kind of complicated seeming clams like a smidge dirtier water than sps like. I'm sure you could keep both though !!

Oh and for fish maybe you should look into ( if they are readily available over there ) some neon,Sharknose or Trimma gobies !! I believe all of which stay under the 1-1.5" size.

I'd like SPS at the surface of the rocks so they have unobstructed room to branch out but maybe I could have a little flat rock to the side to propagate some away from the intrusion of other corals.

With clams I'll just have to be patient and wait until the system is more mature and then feed clams manually to ensure they get nutritionally what they need.

I'm absolutely going for a Goby I like shark nose so that's something i'll consider! I'd like to get a hi-fin nano goby and shrimp pair as they're so cute in their collaboration.

• Like 1
nanolutionary
With seed piece of LR removed this is the updated look, not too happy about the last pic where along with the obvious diatoms I am getting green coloration on the rock which looks like either the beginning of coralline :thumbsup: or the more likely outcome knowing my luck the sprouting of the bubble algae outbreak from hell :mad:.

The Porcelain Crab is doing well and confident enough to prance around the tank without any shelter, whether this will continue once other organisms arrive will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

I'm absolutely loving this tank man !!! Looking so right. The brown algae is definitely diatoms and the green aale should be fine as long as it doesn't turn fuzzy or stringy. Any cuc you get should take care of either one of those issues though.

What's your filtration like on this setup ?

nanolutionary

I'm absolutely loving this tank man !!! Looking so right. The brown algae is definitely diatoms and the green aale should be fine as long as it doesn't turn fuzzy or stringy. Any cuc you get should take care of either one of those issues though. What's your filtration like on this setup ?

Thanks Reefkid88 glad you're liking it so far. Going to pick up another snail or two when the diatoms pick up.

nanolutionary

Getting a nice diatom bloom now the new LED's are taking effect, just going to have to try and ensure this doesn't encourage hair or bubble algae present on the seed piece I removed to bloom alongside the diatoms over my dry rock...water change of 20% is mixing for when I get home from Royal Holloway Uni library and the project plan for my dissertation.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/DSCN2764.jpg.html'>DSCN2764.jpg

nanolutionary

Tonight I expanded the clean up crew which now stands at three Turbo's (two different species I believe as these two are lighter than the first I got) and three (tiny) Nasarius, the Nasarius are literally 5-7mm each so I'm dubious as to whether they'll last. I also added a Maxima Clam, acclimated it for an hour with a turkey baster as I had no airline tube - just to be sure it had a comfortable transition; after being wrapped in ski trousers under the seat of my scooter for half an hour it was the least I could do!

So far so good she is comfortably extending her mantles and reacting well, the Turbo snails are racing around the glass and occasionally the rocks or conveniently scraping the equipment as well as the edge of the sand bed but never the rest of the substrate. Buried deep in the sand, the Nasarius haven't moved since...; the Porcelain Crab made a bee line behind the koralias ever since I scared the living hell out of it when swooping in too close to where it was resting up against the glass with the nano-magfloat - maybe it will forget and return to the display area, preferably the rocks soon.

Called fishnochips.com who are still working on my order for next week, Hi-Fin Nano Goby and Red Banded Pistol Shrimp pair and Pom Pom Crab to join the Porcelain, plus a Frogspawn, Montipora and SPS frag, with any luck these with have some Coralline too - can't wait! Pics to follow when the suns back tomorrow evening.

Yayyyyy,goodies !!!! Sounds like you're on the right track so far. Exactly how long has the tank been set up ? I'm looking forward to see how the clam does...

nanolutionary

Yayyyyy,goodies !!!! Sounds like you're on the right track so far. Exactly how long has the tank been set up ? I'm looking forward to see how the clam does...

Eager placing the clam in the tank at this early stage (weeks) in the tanks life; 15% water changes everyday if not twice a day are ensuring the parameters are kept in check for it. It'll be a test of whether or not water changes can bring a clam through to maturity along with the tank itself.

Should the clam start to show signs of distress, I'll be placing it online for immediate collection by a member with an established tank.

nanolutionary
The porcelain crab is still hanging onto the powerbeads and not emerging.

I've added another Nassarius, quite large for a nano tank at about 3.5cm to take care of the algae bloom I'm still experiencing, also another turbo which promptly climbed over the rim but luckily I got home in time to put it back in - I've now lowered the water level so hopefully that will prevent it from hauling itself up and over. Three Nassarius slightly larger than the first three are moving around and doing a better job than the tiny ones.

nanolutionary
Some more pics, I've been eager adding a clam and two fish in the same week, especially at this early stage; however after the initial cycle levelled out my continued twice daily 15% water changes are keeping the parameters in check. Fed the Minstrel Clowns who lapped up the Dr Bassleer Garlic Biofish sample I had, I've also got a sample of Acia and a pot of regular feed to try on them tomorrow. The largest snail I added was identified by the LFS as a 'sand sifting snail' I think it may be a conch, going to keep an eye on its size and let it go if it gets much larger. Hoping once the Euphyllia relaxes again following its ordeal bathing in Coral RX Pro the Minstrel Clowns will find their way home. Sorry pictures are a tad murky I cleaned the glass of algae right before - lesson learnt!

• Like 1

Haha I like your style! Most people would be scared putting a clam in an established system, let alone one of the first additions to a new tank. Make sure you take your time and plan out everything in as much detail as you possibly can. I love the look of the tank so far. Good luck!

nanolutionary

Haha I like your style! Most people would be scared putting a clam in an established system, let alone one of the first additions to a new tank. Make sure you take your time and plan out everything in as much detail as you possibly can. I love the look of the tank so far. Good luck!

Thanks timothy marsh, I have been relentless with water changes to help to quell my paranoia about the clam, so far its mantle is still perfectly extended with no gaping and it's reacting quickly to any changes in light, seems healthy! I'm on 1/3 change-a-day at the moment and apart from a little algae I'm happy with the way it's going, I'm heading to the garden centre (English spelling :P) to collect a few more CUC members later to help to munch away the blooms.

The porcelain crab had a trip away from the equipment today, for the first time since it disappeared behind everything last week, this wasn't intentional though and it quickly scarpered back into hiding within minutes of climbing onto the sanded in the display area. Worth a try! :)

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/tlagden/media/DSCN2790.jpg.html'>DSCN2790.jpg