Innovative Marine Aquariums

SouthReef -- Bye bye Red Planet!

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

They're both meat based with the sauce consisting of tomatoes, but the approach is different. The Picadillo is basically a tangy tomato meat sauce, thickness depends on the one cooking, while rope vieja gets a more savory flavor, with red wine and other ingredients, cooking with the meat for 6 hours. Bay leaves are important too :)

They're both meat based with the sauce consisting of tomatoes, but the approach is different. The Picadillo is basically a tangy tomato meat sauce, thickness depends on the one cooking, while rope vieja gets a more savory flavor, with red wine and other ingredients, cooking with the meat for 6 hours. Bay leaves are important too :)

Ok now I'm ready for lunch....

SouthFlorida_Tron

OK, its officially time to panic.

My Mandarin, who eats blood worms, mysis, and brine, is being lethargic of late, and is not attempting to eat as vigorously as before, he appears lazy, and he continuously lays on the sand, with his head down, not up as usual... not quite sure what happened...

Sorry to hear about the mandarin. I wish I could give some advice but I do not know much about fish when it comes to things like this, and have absolutely no experience with mandarins. I wish you luck.

On another note, do you know on average how much evap you have daily? I am picking out a ATO container for the tank and want it to hold enough water for a week(plus extra just in case). What do you use for an ATO container?

advice?

Try getting some live food for him ASAP. If he eats that, you might have a chance to bring him back. Live blackworms, brine, ect.

My old Mandy used to kill live black works. That's what I used to get him on frozen. Have you tried a good quality frozen like reef frenzy soaked in garlic?? I have yet to see a fish not go crazy for reef frenzy.

SouthFlorida_Tron

So strange, went from a hungry little beast, eating anything in the tank, swimming freely, looking active, to just being lazy, not going for food. something must have happened... whether it was being dominated by another fish, struck by a bristle... not sure, owell, he will be missed!

I really feel like there are just so many variables going on inside of our little habitats. We sometimes can get too comfortable and think that we have everything in 100% control, but in all reality, there are some many things out of our control. Sometimes, something like this happens and you just will never know why or what caused it. But then again, you have been in this hobby longer than I and I am sure you are well aware of this. In all reality, I think this is one of the main reasons why we are all so attracted to this hobby. As much as it sucks when something like this happens, if it were all easy, a lot of us would not be so fascinated by keeping a reef tank....not that any of what I just said makes it any more easy to accept.

• Like 1

So I am trying to get an idea on fish stocking and was trying to see what you have in your tank. If I count correctly, you have 1 clown, a midas blenny, a Lubbocks Fairs Wrasse, and had the mandarin. Is that it? I am considering something similar: Oscellaris clown pair, some kind of blenny, and something like a scarlet pin stripped wrasse or yellowfin fairy wrasse. Then I might add a mandarin later down the line as a 5th fish if I think the tank can handle it and if I can find one that eats frozen, but that would be far off and is still up in the air. Got any suggestions?

SouthFlorida_Tron

My Mandarin passed. Something happened where he suddenly stopped eating and got lazy and eventually you know the rest. The midas I may rethink. He is very bossy and constantly chases the Wrasse.... So re think that.

The Lubbocks is actually super friendly while the Midas is a prick.

My Mandarin passed. Something happened where he suddenly stopped eating and got lazy and eventually you know the rest. The midas I may rethink. He is very bossy and constantly chases the Wrasse.... So re think that.

The Lubbocks is actually super friendly while the Midas is a prick.

OK thanks. I was leaning more towards a tailspot blenny, which I believe are a lot more peaceful.

SouthFlorida_Tron

OK thanks. I was leaning more towards a tailspot blenny, which I believe are a lot more peaceful.

Kind of a grazing blah, but so so, wasn't my favorite, to each their own, mine wasn't supplied with enough algae and starved... Wouldn't eat pellets.

Im not as concerned about flow right now as I am about the issues with algae and coral...

Gotcha gotta nip that algae in the butt pronto

It is likely leaching some iron into the system and not good but it may not be the cause of your issues. Cover the magnets with silicone let dry for two days, fixed. Do two large water changes over two days. If it was the magnets you should see some improvement in the corals within the week.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Roger from Tunze has replied to my thread on Reef Central, he gave me a manufacturer explanation as to how the magnet is constructed and sealed and attempted to ease my thought process, but in the end it doesn't sound convincing enough to me.

"The magnets themselves are ferrite, this is a ceramic material that is man made and can be magnetized, it cannot corrode, this is the same material almost all impeller magnets are made from. These magnets are mounted on an iron plate that is coated by polyurethane, the black filling you see around the magnets. One of two things is happening and just to put you at ease, nothing in these magnets is toxic, their is no nickel, zinc, rare earth elements, etc, just an iron plate, inert plastics and the ferrite magnets.

1) The magnet at some point picked up something magnetic that has rusted, this could be iron filings, steel wool, iron based phosphate removers (which are essentially rust) or even a staple or some other foreign object. This is the most common issue especially when the rust is widespread.

2) A small pinhole is present and sea water has reached the iron plate, this is rare but can happen, when this is the cause, the stain will have a focal point and some sort of visible bubble or hole in the polyurethane will be the source, it may be extremely small though. The stain will radiate out from this point and usually be fairly localized. "

Thoughts?

Roger from Tunze has replied to my thread on Reef Central, he gave me a manufacturer explanation as to how the magnet is constructed and sealed and attempted to ease my thought process, but in the end it doesn't sound convincing enough to me.

"The magnets themselves are ferrite, this is a ceramic material that is man made and can be magnetized, it cannot corrode, this is the same material almost all impeller magnets are made from. These magnets are mounted on an iron plate that is coated by polyurethane, the black filling you see around the magnets. One of two things is happening and just to put you at ease, nothing in these magnets is toxic, their is no nickel, zinc, rare earth elements, etc, just an iron plate, inert plastics and the ferrite magnets.

1) The magnet at some point picked up something magnetic that has rusted, this could be iron filings, steel wool, iron based phosphate removers (which are essentially rust) or even a staple or some other foreign object. This is the most common issue especially when the rust is widespread.

2) A small pinhole is present and sea water has reached the iron plate, this is rare but can happen, when this is the cause, the stain will have a focal point and some sort of visible bubble or hole in the polyurethane will be the source, it may be extremely small though. The stain will radiate out from this point and usually be fairly localized. "

Thoughts?

Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me, but unfortunately, he didn't touch on the most important topic: how to fix the problem. In the end, it really doesn't matter whether it was caused by #1 or #2, as far as you are concerned. Did he offer to replace the unit? You could lather some silicone on there as Christine mentioned, but I wouldn't be 100% sure that would fix the issue if it were #2 that is the cause. One way or the other, I wouldn't be putting that particular powerhead back into my aquarium.

Hogwash :)

Anything corroding and oxidizing like this is leaching metals into the water. Likely this is a very small amount and is not a great concern. He refers to the polyurethane coating which is not present on your magnets and is present on all other models. Did you send him the picture of the corrosion?

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

The same photo is on the thread. He said the polyurethane coating is covering the plate which is under the magnets.

• Like 1