Cultivated Reef

Good placement for a maxima?

PRJ

Just got this guy in the tank after the good 'ol hour drip.

He's about 1 7/8" (website said 2-3").

I've got him on a sloped rocky outcropping right in the center of the tank. Do you guys think this placement will work well?

Lighting is Maxspect Razor R420R 160W 16000K.

Cheers!

post-82078-0-48070600-1386960805_thumb.jpg

Nice max! Think you need to angle it so his mantle is facing more towards the light. 2 cents. W-*

*Is that a top down shot? If so looks good then! :)

yeah, get him on as flat a spot as possible. not sure how it's even staying where you put it.. they prefer rock, but will be okay on the sand bed.

Nice max! Think you need to angle it so his mantle is facing more towards the light. 2 cents. W-*

*Is that a top down shot? If so looks good then! :)

yeah, get him on as flat a spot as possible. not sure how it's even staying where you put it.. they prefer rock, but will be okay on the sand bed.

The pic makes it look a bit more slanted than it actually is. But I agree, a place that is a bit flatter would be better. Luckily, that means I only have to move him about an inch!

I wonder if having it on a slope like that is what caused the foot to pull out? That's quite a bit of weight on its foot.. Just speculating..

I wonder if having it on a slope like that is what caused the foot to pull out? That's quite a bit of weight on its foot.. Just speculating..

I moved it about 10 mins after you guys posted on this a few days ago :) It wasn't sloped!

Highly doubtfull with a clam that small. Their foot is well able to support them in any position at that size. Small clams are actually able to crawl up glass if the need be. Only larger, heavier clams can rip a foot because of weight.

Man that thing is tiny, where did you get it???

Best of luck with it!

Cultivated Reed. Website said 2.5-3.5"+ and the one I received was 1 7/8". Greg from CR said it's a misprint and it's supposed to be "approximately 2 inches" and he's going to change it.

He offered to "make it right," so I dont' think there was any underhanded dealing going on, but I told him not to worry about it. I wasn't going to make him send me another over something so small.

Wow, that is small! Keep that badboy fed! Guy on FB had them for $30 but they were 1-2" and i'm far too lazy to keep a clam fed. LOL

What do you recommend for feeding? Some sort of phytoplankton that I just put in the water?

Highly doubtfull with a clam that small. Their foot is well able to support them in any position at that size. Small clams are actually able to crawl up glass if the need be. Only larger, heavier clams can rip a foot because of weight.

Yeah, it weighs next to nothing! And it's a moot point, anyways. The clam wasn't slanted like that. That was the initial placement and I quickly moved it after realizing it needed to be perpendicular to the light coming from the LEDs.

On my OP in the other post, I stated he was attached to a piece of rubble which I used to "prop him up" in a certain spot on the rock. That piece of rubble was also on the sand today, so a snail or crab (or maybe the clam) somehow moved that small piece of rubble over the edge, which vaulted the clam off the edge, putting a bunch of torque on the foot and ripping it clean.

This is my theory, anyways! :)

Cultivated Reed. Website said 2.5-3.5"+ and the one I received was 1 7/8". Greg from CR said it's a misprint and it's supposed to be "approximately 2 inches" and he's going to change it.

He offered to "make it right," so I dont' think there was any underhanded dealing going on, but I told him not to worry about it. I wasn't going to make him send me another over something so small.

What do you recommend for feeding? Some sort of phytoplankton that I just put in the water?

Yeah, it weighs next to nothing! And it's a moot point, anyways. The clam wasn't slanted like that. That was the initial placement and I quickly moved it after realizing it needed to be perpendicular to the light coming from the LEDs.

On my OP in the other post, I stated he was attached to a piece of rubble which I used to "prop him up" in a certain spot on the rock. That piece of rubble was also on the sand today, so a snail or crab (or maybe the clam) somehow moved that small piece of rubble over the edge, which vaulted the clam off the edge, putting a bunch of torque on the foot and ripping it clean.

This is my theory, anyways! :)

I only use feed my clams 3 products. Live phyto, live zooxanthellae,

And two little fishes marine snow. If live phyto is not avail I will use cryo preserved frozen phyto from Brineshrimpdirect.com

I moved it about 10 mins after you guys posted on this a few days ago :) It wasn't sloped!

It was just a thought.. I know you mentioned you would probably move it.

Interesting that they can climb glass.. I'd like to see that :)

Archived