SaltCritters.com

Ruby Red Dragonet Help

noahJT

I saw three of them at my LFS today and definitely get in love with them; and probably I get one this weekend. Did they accepted any frozen food too (Mysis, brine, etc.)? or just live pods?

My LFS has these in stock as well, will hopefully be bringing one (maybe 2) home tomorrow. My LFS told me they are eating mysis. They grab it and peck at it.

Very cool fish!

Mine hasn't even sniffed frozen mysis, and I feed it every day. I haven't made any efforts to get him to eat mysis, though, other than just broadcast feeding it in the tank. I just turn off all my pumps and spray some nutramar ova on the sand. I let him have 10 minutes or so to pick at it all before turning the pumps back on again.

++++++++1 on Nutramar Ova.

I got mine yesterday. Today he was very active exploring all the tank but I didn't see eating anything yet. Thought his activity means he is ok, I think...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of mine with my new Black sun coral.He accept frozen food :)! How's yours?

Nice! Mine is still going strong. I'm cycling a new 55g tank right now, so he's about to get a pretty nice home upgrade. What frozen food are you feeding yours?

Nice! Mine is still going strong. I'm cycling a new 55g tank right now, so he's about to get a pretty nice home upgrade. What frozen food are you feeding yours?

a mix with chopped krill, mysis and reef plakton; not only for him but for all my fishes (5 total).

a mix with chopped krill, mysis and reef plakton; not only for him but for all my fishes (5 total).

It's great that he's taken to all that! Mine's picky. Only wants pods and Nutramar <_<

I watching him for 3 weeks at my LFS before I got it, He was on a little cube 5"x5" with no pods at all. Before they sell him to me, the owner told me that she was training him to accept frozen food for over two months, so he was ready for me. Also she sold me something else that I don't know what it is, but is an special preparation that they made themselves to complement on their diet, and I also disolve a little be of that on my mix

I watching him for 3 weeks at my LFS before I got it, He was on a little cube 5"x5" with no pods at all. Before they sell him to me, the owner told me that she was training him to accept frozen food for over two months, so he was ready for me. Also she sold me something else that I don't know what it is, but is an special preparation that they made themselves to complement on their diet, and I also disolve a little be of that on my mix

Mine came from just about the worst holding tank possible...full of dying Magnificent Anemones with no substrate. It's no surprise that the other smaller one I purchased did not make it through acclimation, but I am fortunate that the other did because he is a fun little dude!

Mine came from just about the worst holding tank possible...full of dying Magnificent Anemones with no substrate. It's no surprise that the other smaller one I purchased did not make it through acclimation, but I am fortunate that the other did because he is a fun little dude!

I tried tigger pods from reef nutrition last nite for a change, and that was like a Christmas day for him. The big problem is, that is $20 per bottle.

Also I paid a visit to my petco store to buy some food for my macaw, and I saw a black version of it. The store's dependant told me that they are scavengers and I don't need to do intentional feeding on them, at least they don't do that... (????????) no comments.

Not really surprised Petco told you that...

On another note I have been training my mandarin in a breeder net to accept all kinds of foods, frozen and dry. I just put the food in there and a few hours later it's gone so I'm assuming he is eating. I don't think the food is flying out of the net because the chunks are too big to flow through.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I offer to my dragonet live pods once, since then I train him to accept frozen foods and he don't only accepted, but he almost jump into my hand to grab it, literally. My advice is to train them to accept frozen foods.

Archived