ReefCleaners.org

7.2 gallon Coldwater Nano. Full of Bay Pipefish now!

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

****Update at 13 months****

Well I eventually sold pretty much all of the Anemones from the previous video, so the tank looked a little barren. I decided to change it up a bit and do something I hadn't kept in a very long time Bay Pipefish! Here's a video of them eating tigriopus californicus cultured from wild caught copepods here in Oregon :)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152713467221056&l=3580218606613491371

****Update at 11 months****
Collected 4 coldwater LPS corals called Oval Cup Coral(Paracyathus sternsi)photos on page 5

****update at 10 months****
Did a timelapse of the tank as it sits now, pretty cool :)
http://youtu.be/n3IW8Z7eBPI

****update at 4 months, video link below*****
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152099494171056&l=7131117234643576501

****Lots of changes to this system since it first started up back in December. Running it skimmerless now with just the Brighwell Aquatics Temperate Microbacter and BioFuel. Changed over the chiller from a 150w Thermal Electric to a 200w 1/13hp compressor chiller. Live stock changes galore as I finally settled on a seagrass/macro/japanese fish/west coast invert tank......for now....lol.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it was a good time to go ahead and break out of always posting in the biotopes forum for this build ;)

Tank is going to be a Micro-Reefs 12x12x12 AIO tank made of 1/2" acrylic to replace my current Aqueon 8 temperate setup.

Most of the livestock will be transferred over, unless I get Lumpsuckers.....then its gonna be a lumpsucker tank for sure.

Lighting will be a recessed DIY imitation kessil RGB LED cannon that I've already made.

Chilling will be with a Pacific Coast Imports CL-150 TEC that is currently keeping my 1/4" thick acyrlic tank at a steady 57F so the 1/2" should make this chiller even more efficient.

Stand is a Modified Ikea Expedit Shelving unit.

Skimmer is a no name local made micro skimmer with a small internal venturi pump that I've modified.

Here's my google sketchup rendition of what the system will be:

IkeaExpedit1x5withTankandChillerfrontlow

IkeaExpedit1x5withTankandChillerBacklow_

IkeaExpedit1x5withTankandChiller_zps75ce

IkeaExpedit1x5withTankandChillerBack_zps

Here is what I have done so far with the stand.

Swapped out the wooden dowels for metal ones for more support.

DowelsforAIOstand_zps2d0414a1.jpg

Removed the upper shelf to allow clearance in and out of the tank and to install the light through the upper shelf for ventilation.

AIOtankstand_zps93a02d97.jpg

Test fit the chiller to make sure there is a good air gap around all sides for performance.

AIOtankstandwithchiller_zps410d1241.jpg

Will follow this build. Neat idea that will keep all equipment and accessories in one place and out of site. Interested in your chiller choice..... can you share link with curious mind ;)

• Like 1
astroman of the future

I have the smaller version of that chiller, the CL-85. I am hoping that it will keep my 2.5 gallon with 1" thick acrylic cool in my overly warm desert house!

AquaticEngineer

I have the smaller version of that chiller, the CL-85. I am hoping that it will keep my 2.5 gallon with 1" thick acrylic cool in my overly warm desert house!

You should be golden with that much thermal buffering in the acrylic :)

Will follow this build. Neat idea that will keep all equipment and accessories in one place and out of site. Interested in your chiller choice..... can you share link with curious mind ;)

I picked up a couple of them for next to nothing from a local guy here that was unloading a ton of chillers.

He has an add on Craigslist Portland and has them listed for $100 a piece on the CL-150's.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/for/4235350553.html

Might be worth giving him an email to see about shipping them? I cant imagine they would cost much to ship.

They are all brand new in the box because Pacific Coast Imports went out of business out here and all his inventory was bought up locally.

AquaticEngineer

Got the hole cut in the top panel for the light today.

temporary_zps8d768c82.jpg

Also cut down the extra shelf board that was removed to make room to access the tank and turned it into a cabinet door for the chiller shelf :)

temporary_zps47bcb807.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Time to chime in!

I've been finishing up another cold water build and I'm almost ready to start yours! Here is a sneak peak at picking up the materials to make several 12 x 12 x 12 beauties... :)

2v01pae.jpg

2mewefr.jpg

There will be two new COLD WATER SYSTEMS made available soon for purchase on our site! :)

It looks amazing, I am really digging the style/look of your tanks. That flame polish really sets these tanks off. I haven't even set up my 10x10 yet and I'm tempted to hit you up for another. I like how the edges are so clear and reflect the light plus the clean assembly.

Really awesome work man! Out doing yourself!

• Like 1

I'm no engineer, but would the weight of the tank and water make your cabinet top-heavy, make it easy to tip over? Would the weight of the chiller provide counter balance?

Looks good, BTW!

• Like 2

I'm no engineer, but would the weight of the tank and water make your cabinet top-heavy, make it easy to tip over? Would the weight of the chiller provide counter balance?

Looks good, BTW!

I think with a chiller and ATO container it should have enough weight in the bottom to make it more stable however, I agree, possibly an anchor to the wall would be the best way to make sure it could never topple over.