inTank Media Baskets

PicO SII

FZhang

IMG_20131210_085951.jpg

Recently moved and had to downsize my tank and ended up deciding to go with a PicO SII with a couple of small mods to clean things up a little and get everything out of the display. Has been set up for a while but haven't gotten around to starting a tank thread but here it is!

SETUP

PicO SII 15"x15"x9"

Nanobox Mini Tide w/ Storm Controller

Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055

Elos Osmocontroller

APEX Jr.

IM Minimax Reactor w/ GFO and Carbon

INHABITANTS

1 - Percula Clownfish

1 - Ocellaris Clownfish

Things are still in flux with equipment and placement of everything. I'll get some more pictures when I get everything figured out.

On the list of things to do still:
- cut the minimax reactor down so it doesn't stick up out of the tank like it does now.

- attempt to tune in the Elos Osmocontroller or switch to something else. Water level in the tank is really finicky because of I'm using a tunze nanostream as a return pump. And it's pulsing on the APEX so the water level is constantly changing in the chamber

- skimmer choices

I'll elaborate on everything later when I get the chance and hopefully with some pictures to describe the situation. Probably reviews of all the equipment as well.

IMG_20131213_192852.jpg

Skimmer arrived. And the contents:

IMG_20131213_193605.jpg

I think there's something to be said about a clean setup. So in an attempt to keep everything looking tidy, I opted to to go with an airstone powered skimmer and keep the collection cup away from the display. Initially I was trying to get my hands on one by PicO aquariums, Gnome Glass, or Glazer but those all seem to be unavailable for some reason or another. So I decided to go ahead and get the skimmer they were all modeled after.

One thing that I still need to pick-up for the skimmer is an air pump. I'm a bit obsessive about noise so I'm still looking around for a quiet pump. Willing to take any opinions or experience if anyone has any.

Nice man. Can't wait to see that set up.

It's going to be interesting trying to dial it in. I'm pretty sure it has suggestions but they're all in Japanese. lol...

Thanks for that. Just send you a pm about a new address.

Can wait to move the light to the center. Should give me a little more room to play with in the return chamber and get the auto top off set up nicely.

Yea. The stocking plan from here on out is going to be all softies. Looking mainly at blue cespitularia and xenia. Various zoas. And hopefully a rock flower anemone.

I have pieces of SPS I managed to salvage from my previous tank. Along with a favia and couple zoas. Don't plan of getting anymore SPS or anything too high maintenance for now.

Woke up this morning to a dripping noise. No tank issues but apparently the glass thermometer started a slow siphon due to the surface tension. Auto top off kept up with the water loss so specific gravity was down to 1.019

Everything looked okay when I left in the morning and will slowly be adding in salt to bring it back up to normal.

Woke up this morning to a dripping noise. No tank issues but apparently the glass thermometer started a slow siphon due to the surface tension. Auto top off kept up with the water loss so specific gravity was down to 1.019

Everything looked okay when I left in the morning and will slowly be adding in salt to bring it back up to normal.

It's probably too late, but you might be better off to top off with salt water or slowly replace the low SG water with proper water until you're back where you want to be. That must have been a heck of a drip if it dropped that quickly!

It's probably too late, but you might be better off to top off with salt water or slowly replace the low SG water with proper water until you're back where you want to be. That must have been a heck of a drip if it dropped that quickly!

That actually sounds a bit easier. I'll try that

So how's the mame skimmer working out for you?

I haven't picked up an air pump for it yet. Still doing a little research to pick out something quiet.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a Dropcam Pro recently when I found it on sale. Set it up but unfortunately found out that it doesn't gel nicely with the APEX dashboard. But the view from the android app works well.

And here's a link to the live stream if you want to creep on the tank

SpencerShepard

Great looking setup!

What's the deal with the Dropcam and the Apex? Does dropcam provide any kind of embeddable stream?

Great looking setup!

What's the deal with the Dropcam and the Apex? Does dropcam provide any kind of embeddable stream?

Dropcam does everything on their cloud servers so you can't get access to an mjpeg stream to embed into the apex dashboard. Or so I've read. I don't know if there's a way around that though. They do provide a public link and an html embed code for websites though. Unfortunately nano-reef doesn't support the video embed.

But in reality, I don't think there is any benefit to being able to embed the stream on my dashboard. The mobile Dropcam app provides a nice platform to see my tank.

Kinda alot o money for a wired webcam, isnt it?

I wouldn't call it a wired webcam. Wireless connectivity over your wifi network with a high quality video stream. Plus it's really just a toy that I thought would be cool to get. And it isn't much more pricey than most wireless IP cameras and the video quality is better than others in the same price range.

Nice build! If I may where did you find the mame skimmer? I've been looking all over and can't find one.

I had to buy mine from Japan through a proxy. Essentially they buy it for you then ship it to you while charging a certain fee. I believe you can find the skimmer on Rakuten

I had to buy mine from Japan through a proxy. Essentially they buy it for you then ship it to you while charging a certain fee. I believe you can find the skimmer on Rakuten

Thanks for the info, ill look into it.
  • 1 month later...

Archived