SaltCritters.com

TJ's Planted Adventure - Transfers & New Plans

TJ_Burton

lilmatty5dimes

awesome pics. i can't get over how many sticks you have in there. looks absolutely sexy. i just hung my light so hopefully i'll get a few.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awesome pics. i can't get over how many sticks you have in there. looks absolutely sexy. i just hung my light so hopefully i'll get a few.

Thanks a ton,

Been doing a whole whack load of placement and gluing down frags to try and get those god awful racks out of the tank. Still only about half way done (I have such a hard time picking the 'perfect' spot for corals).

Hopefully I get that all finished up tonight and I can post up some new pics.

Tank is a big ol mess right now... clams are pushing around the nice brain coral, lots of stuff sort of just sitting willy-nilly like... I promise I will glue things does and start making it look right soon!

IMG_02356ofSC.jpg

IMG_0236fSX1.jpg

IMG_0238G8Hqm.jpg

Here is a peek at a really nice stag I picked up a while ago. Finally coming around and regaining the green corallites overtop of a rich purple :)

IMG_0243Uc7On.jpg

Thats just way too much coral for one man.....insane

Ok, I am no Hype when it comes to macros (and I am only using a Canon G9) but here is one of my favorite acans waiting for a midnight snack. This shot was taken under actinics and UV.

Candy_Acans_SmallAK6t.jpg

this is just wicked....awesome shot tj

That's awesome as hell man. How loud is it?

It is dramatically quieter than your standard overflow box setup (similar to Durso, but I find this method to be better). I have more noise coming from my vortech than the overflow itself.

It works best with 1.5" drain pipe, 4" lower cap, and 3" upper (lid) cap.

Just picked up a new skimmer and the sump has arrived! Not going to swap out the sump right away (still have some planning to do) but the skimmer I am going to start running shortly.

Trigger Systems Emerald 26

10596265_10152453236698283_721439645_n.j

JNS CO-1 (Same as AquaMaxx)

001.jpg

that's a cool skimmer... I've been curious about them and how well they work, you need to give it a little review once you've had it a while..

that's a cool skimmer... I've been curious about them and how well they work, you need to give it a little review once you've had it a while..

No problem. I have seen them in action and have watched a few youtube videos. They seem pretty decent and the construction is spot on. Fits the sump really well.

Video showing the type of skimmate it is capable of pulling:

thats a sweet looking skimmer. looks like it can pull out some nasty stuff. can't wait to see it.

It should do a good job, I am going to try and find the time to clean up the fuge a bit and get it running tonight.

So this skimmer has been running for a couple hours tops and I am just getting it dialed in. Already pulling stuff out of course. Overall impression so far is great!

IMG_0299wbUn.jpg

Question!

You have a very light fish load in there, and if I'm correct you don't feed filter feeding foods very often and I know your clams are doing very well. I also think you said your tank carries very low nutrients. I curious about how often you do water changes, and what %?

Looks good.

Yeah so far its doing a decent job; not convinced my system has a whole ton to skim out, but we will see.

How can it hold any skimmate?

The cup actually has a good amount of room in it for skimmate - the design looks a little odd, but because the center column is slanted and capped (save for a small oval at the top) it has plenty capacity despite the small circumference. It also has a drain if I so choose to use it (which I won't).

Here is a pic with the drain and entry to the cup circled in red:

JNSCupDesignmUB90.jpg

Question! You have a very light fish load in there, and if I'm correct you don't feed filter feeding foods very often and I know your clams are doing very well. I also think you said your tank carries very low nutrients. I curious about how often you do water changes, and what %?

I have two systems, and this system is fed much more than my office tank at work that had the NLS 'issues' and copper poisoning. This tank has higher nutrients for sure (as indicated by the generous dusting of algae on the glass every day). I currently do bi-weekly water changes on this system. The clams move around a lot (mostly due to me changing the settings on my vortech too frequently) but I know they are healthy because they can drop their byssal threads and have new ones down the next day.

So this skimmer has been running for a couple hours tops and I am just getting it dialed in. Already pulling stuff out of course. Overall impression so far is great!

IMG_0299wbUn.jpg

Whats the height of the water in your sump TJ?

Whats the height of the water in your sump TJ?

Good question, I'd say roughly 10" but the skimmer sits on a 2.5" or so riser.

Yeah so far its doing a decent job; not convinced my system has a whole ton to skim out, but we will see.

The cup actually has a good amount of room in it for skimmate - the design looks a little odd, but because the center column is slanted and capped (save for a small oval at the top) it has plenty capacity despite the small circumference. It also has a drain if I so choose to use it (which I won't).

Here is a pic with the drain and entry to the cup circled in red:

JNSCupDesignmUB90.jpg

Oh it's capped! That makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick and tragic update:

My lack of updates is primarily due to a huge RTN event I have been experiencing. I have already lost plenty of my acropora frags to this, and even a few colonies. At first I suspected AEFW since I had an issue with them previously, however nothing turned up during dips. I then tested various levels, and found my Iodine level to be high - however correcting this issue has not slowed the RTN. I also find it curious that only the acros are affected, Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, and Montipora species are unaffected, along with the LPS, soft corals, and clams in the system. I am almost ready to label this event the result of a pathogen. If I had to set a timeline, this peeling event happened shortly after I acquired the new SPS frags I posted about most recently. The even started with one of those frags peeling (RTN) within days of me acquiring it.

Either way, its a damn shame to see so many beautiful acros go to waste like that; very disheartening as I am sure you can imagine.

In other news, I have upgraded my sump to the Emerald26 and will post pictures when I can. The sump is fantastic and the design works very well. I will post a more apt review in the coming weeks. I will post photos of my tank once I get things back in order again - not sure how long that will take.

Also picked up a cheap ($10 CAD) UV LED flashlight from Canadian Tire (sells at Walmart as well). It is remarkably decent for the price and works well for coral pigments. Totally different spectrum than my Orphek Azurelite.

0001280051885_500X500.jpg

Archived