Cultivated Reef

TJ's Planted Adventure - Transfers & New Plans

TJ_Burton

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all goes well tonight, I may be able to post pics of the incredibly simplistic plumbing on this system. Mostly soft, and the bare necessities. Not how I want my dream system done, but certainly enough for the system to function as it should. :)

Didn't finish the plumbing, need to get a 90-Degree 1" x FT adapter for the sump to hook up the drain line. I did however finish the custom 'silent' standpipe and hooked up the return line.

Remember how I said this isn't how I'd do my dream system? Keep that in mind while viewing these photos... :P

2013standpipehrwVq.jpg

2013sump1UzWHZ.jpg

Glass tank to the left of the sump is the ATO reservoir and is around 12 gallons in volume.

2013sump2x2coD.jpg

Got the last few parts I need for the plumbing, along with a brand new AquaFX Barracuda RODI unit. This is my 3rd AquaFX purchase and I am likely to continue using AquaFX for as long as the company continues to exist. They make a solid product built in the USA, and for the price point, you get a lot of quality for minimal cost IMO.

Hopefully this Friday coming will be the wet test!

RODI Unit installed and plumbing finished. I just need to get a piece of plywood cut to go under the tank so that I can use foam to level out the tank. Checked with a good level today and there is enough of a difference that I'd like to correct it. Hopefully I can get that wood cut tomorrow!

Man I just want to get water into this thing...

Looking good TJ. Should get plenty of flow with the mp40. What's your plan for the scape?

I haven't fully committed to a scape yet, but I am thinking high on the standpipe side, tapering off to the sand on the empty side. Sort of treating it like a peninsula despite the awkwardly placed bulkhead and standpipe.

Put some base rock in the sump and added a bottle of ATM Colony to get things started. I am not adding any live rock this time (completely opposite of my other systems) to prevent any pests from entering the system.

Also made my first coral purchase for the tank; got a frag from this colony of Candy Crush polyps.

CandyCrushPolypsd2VDU.jpg

Tank is looking clear and ready for some rock, and maybe even the first coral or fish to keep the newly introduced bacteria fed. Not sure when I will have time to grab the Marco rock I intend to use in the system, but I could probably move a frag of something into the tank to see how things are going. I have a lot of purple digi frags so that may be what I take home tonight.

I want to get this bad boy 'scaped already, but I am looking pretty busy between now and New Years! Might wait until mid January...

Some pics of the tank with the Radion hanging overhead. Still need to route the wires somehow so things look a bit cleaner, but for now this will do. The sand is getting pushed around by the MP40wES pretty easily since there is no structure in the display to break up the flow yet. Also, you can see how many holes I need to fill in looking at the second picture... If only I made up my mind the first time and didn't have to hang 3 or 4 different fixtures.

IMG_330060Es.jpg

IMG_33024QS6C.jpg

I have used both on my current SPS tank and although the Maxspect did well, the Radion had less hard shadows being cast, was a nicer overall color (once I set it the way that I liked it) and has much better overall control. I also find that it has less disco effect.

I didn't end up doing my scape tonight, but I did tidy up the sump area and get everything in place (less the skimmer, which I am actually debating even using). The free dual dosing container I picked up was missing a lid, and my ATO reservoir needed one as well so I made a couple from PVC sheets and adhesive handles.

There is a ton of equipment under this stand; more than I had for the 30 Breeder that I originally built that stand for. Maybe overkill? Nawww... not possible ;)

IMG_3366hQo86.jpg

IMG_3367wCHDJ.jpg

IMG_3371DtF3w.jpg

The dosing container is actually too fat for to fit inside the stand completely... It sits on the ledge and props the doors ajar just slightly.

Archived