Top Shelf Aquatics

TJ's Planted Adventure - Transfers & New Plans

TJ_Burton

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Baby Tears,IMO one of the coolest and best looking fresh water tanks. Tank looks stellar man,love it.

I've also been contemplating turning my 2 gallon cube into a DBT and Java Fern tank with a smaller piece of driftwood and some RCS :D

Step by step of my progression so far - this system is not going to be carpeted like my others, rather I am going to mount plants near the surface of the water and have them grow up out of the aquarium. Their root structures will cling to the wood and provide cover for the fish below.

IMG_4097d3SfX.jpg

IMG_4098THMoE.jpg

IMG_40999axWX.jpg

IMG_4100G5fS0.jpg

IMG_41013bZ7G.jpg

IMG_4103JY2Gc.jpg

IMG_4112aVUz1.jpg

IMG_4113LTN5u.jpg

IMG_4114LOp2F.jpg

IMG_4115hAOfT.jpg

Decided to use a canister filter on the system so I swapped out the bulkhead and used one with a strainer.
IMG_4116tnOpD.jpg

IMG_4118hiv8D.jpg

Next step, to make sure they fish don't get lost in the "background" I decided to add a frosted vinyl to the rear panel of the tank. This should help keep the focus in the aquarium where it belongs, rather than on the little planted system behind it.
IMG_4117SKRvX.jpg

Currently still using my Radion Pro. Red/Orange sunrise, and a peach/pink to blue sunset.

IMG_41217h3Mp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Shipment of Bucephalandra has finally arrived at the post office nearly a month later than projected. Not sure if anything is going to survive, but I have already been refunded by the seller. Really hoping that at least a few of the plants make it!

Some new plants rehydrating in containers with damp sphagnum. Also, my 12 gallon planted's dry start is coming along really well! Going to add a few more species for the dry start, give it another month tops, and then this little beauty will be filled with water.

IMG_4169XpLWw.jpg

Quick question for you,

I'm going to use my current LED light that's on my reef over my planted tank,I've got 2 channels Ch1 has 2 3ups with 4k,5k and cyan and 2 cool blues. Ch2 is all royals HV's what would be the best whires to swap out the blues you think,cool whites and maybe a lime ?

Quick question for you,

I'm going to use my current LED light that's on my reef over my planted tank,I've got 2 channels Ch1 has 2 3ups with 4k,5k and cyan and 2 cool blues. Ch2 is all royals HV's what would be the best whires to swap out the blues you think,cool whites and maybe a lime ?

Not going to lie, I am not the best person to ask about moding LEDs or fixtures. My answer is always go buy a fixture meant for 'x' application. ;)

That being said,

660nm is the photosynthetic peak for most aquatic and terrestrial plants. They also have a peak around 440nm, but overdoing the actinic side of things has its own set of issues/challenges for freshwater. I usually recommend a light balanced around 6000K to 6700K that includes a mixture of LED colors including a good amount of 660nm red and a few 440nm blue LEDs.

Hahhaa oh no,I completely agree. I was planning on taking out the Royal Blues and HV's on CH2 and replacing them with cool whites and (probably 4) and 1 lime. Leaving CH1 where it was.

I really only plan to keep DBT's and maybe some type of moss on a piece of driftwood and some RCS or Cherry or Blueberry Shrimp.

Archived