SaltCritters.com

Matt's 4 gallon pico

Matt_95

I've just found the first bit of coralline algae has appeared on the rock work, very happy about that :D hopefully more shows up and it starts to spread quickly. I have also found out that sexy shrimp are very common in my area and I've been given some tips on how to find them, I am going to add 5 to the tank and I have a maxi mini on hold at the LFS for me, much bigger than my current ones. The ones I have now I believe only get an inch and a bit across and then they split where as this one is maybe 4 inches across.

I've ordered a power head for the tank and am algae scraper as well because there's some parts I can't reach because of the scape.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I'm extremely jealous of you. I wish I could go out to my back yard and collect some acans. Lol. Sexy shrimp are a good idea, but I dont know how the damsel will do with them. You might lose them all within a few days. Too agressive of a fish also. You need nicer fish for an aquarium like that. I have a maxi mini exactly like the ones you have. I cut it in half and now I have two that are about 3 inches in diameter. Awesome tank. I really like it. You need more flow for those acros though. A small koralia would probably do it for you. Following your thread. Looks promising. :)

I'm hoping the damsel will be fine with the sexy shrimp, El Fab had a group of sexies with his yellow tail. I've also had a small pair of gobies appear in the tank and the damsel gets along with them just fine. If it is aggressive, I'll remove him to another tank.

I'm hoping mine will get that big! But the pictures from the source make it look like they stay small and split constantly, I'm trying to get them to detach from their rocks so I can clump them together, so far I've gotten two where I want them, only two to go!

I've ordered a power head for the tank, I went with a tunze nano pump, it does up to 700l/h however it can be dialed down. I am tempted to get rid of the acro though and go all lps and softies.

I've read about them demolishing corals, how often will they need to be fed?

Thank you! I haven't collected all of the coral myself, I payed for the hammer, scolly and blasto.

I was playing around with my camera, trying to figure out how to take good photos of the tank. Haven't really succeeded so far. I've figured out how to prevent the corals in the top half of the tank from over exposing, but now it looks too dark. http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mthom211/media/IMG_4215_zps01a7bc0c.jpg.html'>IMG_4215_zps01a7bc0c.jpghttp://s869.photobucket.com/user/mthom211/media/IMG_4167_zps0e5f3586.jpg.html'>IMG_4167_zps0e5f3586.jpghttp://s869.photobucket.com/user/mthom211/media/IMG_4164_zps9aca54ad.jpg.html'>IMG_4164_zps9aca54ad.jpghttp://s869.photobucket.com/user/mthom211/media/IMG_4160_zps886623ef.jpg.html'>IMG_4160_zps886623ef.jpghttp://s869.photobucket.com/user/mthom211/media/IMG_4158_zps3c0ccaca.jpg.html'>IMG_4158_zps3c0ccaca.jpg

I was playing around with my camera, trying to figure out how to take good photos of the tank. Haven't really succeeded so far. I've figured out how to prevent the corals in the top half of the tank from over exposing, but now it looks too dark.

IMG_4215_zps01a7bc0c.jpg

IMG_4167_zps0e5f3586.jpg

IMG_4164_zps9aca54ad.jpg

IMG_4160_zps886623ef.jpg

IMG_4158_zps3c0ccaca.jpg

I'm picking up a pair of mocha snowflakes today, VERY excited, designer clownfish are hard to find in Australia and they used to come with a huge price tag. I'll be housing them in the pico until the new tank is a bit more mature, damsel will be taken out for that. I dint want to risk anything with these guys, they're not cheap.

I have never had a problem with my sexy shrimp eating anything but little pieces of food or detritus. Even when I spot feed my corals, it keeps its distance from them. It likes to stay in between the maxi clones and doesn't venture too far from them. My hermit, however, will go looking for leftovers on the coral all over the tank. Your tank is looking awesome btw. Hopefully the clowns don't bite you when you put your hands in the tank like mine does. Lol Good call on the damsel. I had some that would kill any new fish I put in the tank, not to mention they got huge as well. Lol

Oh. A little trick I learned about removing the maxis is to hold ice cubes near and eventually under their foot until you can easily pry them off. Took me about 30 minutes to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the clowns jumped out within 24 hours of getting them, that was with having a lid on as well. I am absolutely devastated, the breeder is a very great guy though and he is giving me a pair of lower quality snow flakes when I am ready. I also lost a bunch of new coral when half the tank trained out and remained dry overnight, fried the chiller and I had to get a new lamp. I also obtained another maxi mini, this time one that gets much larger than my current ones, however it unfortunately got an infection and died. After all that bad news, I have done a rescape and I think the tank looks much better, in person anyway. I'm now ready to start restocking!

post-82562-0-35354500-1394200726_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-60072200-1394200743_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-82979100-1394200754_thumb.jpg

Cameron6796

How the heck did it drain out? The new scape looks impressive love the negative space with the tiny little island on the right

There's no filtration on it because the HOB was the cause of the leak, as soon as I can get a small HOB overflow I'll be adding a sump to this.

I believe that the water drained out of the HOB where the impeller goes into the main body. Thanks very much, I like this scape much more than the last one, it's much more open and I only had to remove one rock, lots of hidey holes for the damsel as well.

I'd love to find a small orange or gold hammer for the island, however the only small "orange" hammers I have found are only orange under actinic lighting and brown normally. I'd also consider a purple and green hammer for the island but I haven't been able to find any small ones either. If I can source another maxi mini it will be on the island as well. Zoas would look great! I'm trying to find some good looking ones locally.

A few of the members of the local feeding club by me have been using them for a while with no ill effects. Aluminum is pretty resistant to corrosion.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new light today, it's a par38 Reef Flare III, it's more pink than the BoostLED, but my eyes have gotten used to it very quickly, the reds in this tank are also now more vibrant.

I also got a small elegance for the tank today, they've stopped collection of them in Australia I heard, or at least significantly reduced the quota. I wanted to get one before there's any supply issues. I've done a slight rescape as well, I've moved some acans around and moved the hammer to the island so I now have all of the coral and rock work away from the back glass, I'll get a picture of the elegance when it opens up.

I'm liking it a lot, the coral looks great under it, no complaits from me. I've also got a lot more polyp expansion in some corals since adding it.

This pack of Zoas came up for sale on Facebook and I grabbed it, they're not the greatest but it's not easy at all to find good looking Zoas here, and for the price, it's a bargain. Also I am very impressed with the new light, the colour of all of my corals has improved under it. I'll definitely get another when I set up my next tank.

post-82562-0-31986400-1396255992_thumb.jpg

I stopped by Peter from Photon Flakes Clownfish today to get a new pair of snowflakes, he's an amazing guy to deal with. After my original pair jumped out the first night I got them, he offered me a second pair that I could come get once I had a more secure tank. I would recommend him hands down to anyone in Brisbane looking to get clownfish. He has normal Percula as well and normal siblings from the snowflakes. They're the first people to captive breed designer clowns in Australia. Here's their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photon-Flakes-Clownfish/189376871222914?id=189376871222914&sk=photos_stream

I found a picture of one of my new clowns on there, I'll take some pictures of my own when I get the time. They're beginning to host my Hammer coral currently!

post-82562-0-71573700-1396360774_thumb.jpg

I tried to get some good pictures however they just move to fast! These photos really don't do them justice. The last blurry one is closest to their real colour.

post-82562-0-52672600-1396459388_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-71530500-1396459402_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-21936200-1396459421_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-88182700-1396459441_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-02008600-1396459450_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New additions yesterday, my dad got me the haddoni, he thought it was a mini maxi. I'm going to need to get a move on with my bigger tank! Clowns I caught myself and they snowflakes are being moved out of this tank in the next few weeks.

Cameron6796

Going to do a Nem tank ? So lucky to be able to collect your self

What kind of clown is the one in them video on the nem

Pretty sure I am, I am thinking a 45cm cube for it, very minimal rock work (their natural habitat has no rock), some sea grass and a pair of either my snowflakes or picassos. I know they can potentially get 60cm+ but I have never seen a big one from this location before.

These guys are so easy to collect, I don't understand the high price on them, you just put your hand under them and lift them out. They're very common as well. I found tan, yellow, green and blue when we went out on Sunday.

That's an Amphiprion akyindos. I love the juveniles, if they could keep that coloration that's all I would keep. I have got a pair of them, they're so tiny, the smaller one is around 15mm (just over half an inch).

Ps. I've started a new pico, something I would have to say is something very different and very interesting.

Archived