SaltCritters.com

Podpimp's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

PODPIMP

Mr. Microscope

I had to share this with you guys. I was look at the corals through an acrylic top down viewer today. I noticed that my blue tenuis looking coral had red polyps!!!

WOWEEEE! What a beauty! Tank looks amazing BTW!
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mr. Microscope :)

d-Espresso I wanna see a new tank going for you :) LMK when that happens.

Thank you RollaJase. With all the new aussie acros coming in, it' still a learning experience :)

Wow! That pic is amazing. The colors! :wub:

I had to share this with you guys. I was look at the corals through an acrylic top down viewer today. I noticed that my blue tenuis looking coral had red polyps!!! I never saw this coloration on a coral before in person. I'm excited to see how it changes over the next few months.

11844455953_0feebd06ee_b.jpg
IMG_7454 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I had to share this with you guys. I was look at the corals through an acrylic top down viewer today. I noticed that my blue tenuis looking coral had red polyps!!! I never saw this coloration on a coral before in person. I'm excited to see how it changes over the next few months.

11844455953_0feebd06ee_b.jpg
IMG_7454 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
And here is a video that I made the other day :)

Thats awesome! what bulbs are you running in your fixture?

Love this tank, that tenuis is ridiculous!

Yea I got lucky with that one. It's about time :) Sometimes I get so caught up in all the named corals that I forget how exciting it can be to have an unnamed unique gem.

Wow! That pic is amazing. The colors! :wub:

The pic quality is so so :) It was taken with an iphone5. I am digging this coral though. At the moment, the red polyps are only visible from the top down view. From the front it looks like a blue tenuis :)

Thats awesome! what bulbs are you running in your fixture?

Thanks hype! I am using a 400w radium with 2 blue+, 1 AB special, 1 Fiji purple.

Since you guys bumped up the thread I have to add some new pics now :D

I finally made a screen top to keep the wrasses in

Fuzzy Plana that a buddy gave me a few weeks ago
Naoko Wrasse

A 12" sculpture that I ordered today for my man cave/fish room :lol: My wife hates it obviously.

Too bad you are too big for TOTM here man! Your tank will deserve it.

I don't care about TOTM, especially since I already had that honor :D. I like rolling with you guys on here. There is more knowledge on here than all the other sites that i frequent. Funny because it's a nano site. SPS is no joke at a nano level. Much more easy with a big tank.

I don't care about TOTM, especially since I already had that honor :D. I like rolling with you guys on here. There is more knowledge on here than all the other sites that i frequent. Funny because it's a nano site. SPS is no joke at a nano level. Much more easy with a big tank.

True that. I think back to when we had 60 cubes and think fondly of it. Good times.

That's an awesome tank. If you let the colonies grow huge it might overtake the formosa forest as my favorite shallow cube.

That's an awesome tank. If you let the colonies grow huge it might overtake the formosa forest as my favorite shallow cube.

Thanks. I plan on letting everything grow huge. The largest tank that I ever had was a 120g back in 2007. This tank was doing extremely well but I was forced to dismantle in because of a move and job change. Here's my old 120. That purple coral on the right was an 8" purple monster colony. I have a 1/2" frag to grow from now :D

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/jackson6745/media/Picture544.jpg.html'>Picture544.jpg

Very nice Podpimp!

I wish my SSC would show some green, any pointers?

Thanks! With the shortcake or most other acros that get green highlights, a higher level of dissolved organics is needed. The best color SPS that I see are in tanks of maintenance freaks that have a lot of fish and feed heavily, but maintain excellent water quality. Tanks such as Copps and Regalautomitive from ReefCentral. There are many more examples but I can't think right now. I try to do the same.

If you maintain an ULN reef you have to carefully select your corals. Powder blues, yellow, pinks, generally your green will suck or look more yellow. Everyone says iron dosing helps but I never tried it.

Thanks! With the shortcake or most other acros that get green highlights, a higher level of dissolved organics is needed. The best color SPS that I see are in tanks of maintenance freaks that have a lot of fish and feed heavily, but maintain excellent water quality. Tanks such as Copps and Regalautomitive from ReefCentral. There are many more examples but I can't think right now. I try to do the same.

If you maintain an ULN reef you have to carefully select your corals. Powder blues, yellow, pinks, generally your green will suck or look more yellow. Everyone says iron dosing helps but I never tried it.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the more feeding route and maybe add another small fish or two.

WOW....luv everything about this tank. The cabinet you had made and the one you bought are PERFECT together. Great photography too :).

Thanks Gena. Most of these photos are with an iphone5. Only the fish pics are with a DSLR. I'm still rocking my nikon d40 from 10 years ago but it gets the job done :) I got lucky finding the cabinet. I didn't plan for the mess of equipment to conceal. After 6 weeks of searching I found this thing.

Following..... I love a sps tank! You mentioned an ati led fixture, are you talking the ones with t5 also?

Yep, i was considering the ATI LED powermodule. I am holding off on that for now because growth and color has been exceptional lately. I'll just keep what I have going for now. I'm not in a rush to drop $1700 when my old fashion 400w radium is kicking arse :)

• 5 weeks later...

I am bored, sitting home, sick as a dog :(. So, I took a few new update shots with my iPhone and nikon D40 (slr pics came dark). Everything has been going well. I had a cyano outbreak for a while but it's mostly gone now. I attribute this to a 3 day blackout, special bend bacteria, and keeping things clean….. Actually, I've been keeping the tank more low nutrient that usual so colors are a little pastel lately. I'll fix this in time :) Happy Valentines Day!

12528324554_c0d10e8448_b.jpg
DSC_0011 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

12528357124_ab4f2f3cbe_b.jpg
DSC_0017 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
This thing has been growing quick. Can anyone think of a cool name for it?

12444288363_2ee20f35f7_b.jpg
Feb 10 2014 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
Android monti
12136066214_9f8c5ba7d4_b.jpg
IMG_7696 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

12528144103_2c0eff20bc_b.jpg
Feb 14 2014 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

A video at feeding time. Watch in HD :)

Ditto, looks out of this world. Now that I know the store I bought 90% of my acros from is the source of AEFW I hope to be able to start over again. 2 frags I have in my 40 have already colored up nicely with 0 effort. I swear if I find AEFW again in my 40 I will start all over.

Anyway, please post more pics, love to look at them. :)

So awesome. I seriously wish I could get color like that.

Thanks bud. It's easier in larger tanks. In my nano tank I had a hard time keeping deep colors. I didn't have the aggressive filtration that I have in this larger tank, so I wasn't able to feed more. In retrospect, I wish I added more fish and tried it out though.

Ditto, looks out of this world. Now that I know the store I bought 90% of my acros from is the source of AEFW I hope to be able to start over again. 2 frags I have in my 40 have already colored up nicely with 0 effort. I swear if I find AEFW again in my 40 I will start all over.

Anyway, please post more pics, love to look at them. :)

Thanks! AEFW's are a real PITA. I have much experienced fighting those SOB's. Assume everywhere you get coral from is infested. Dip in bayer, break bases off wild and mariculture colonies, and inspect for eggs. Good luck! I have 102 fever right now or i would take more pics for you :(

looks wonderful in that picture.

Wild orchid acro.

Thanks Kat! That coral does have an orchid feel. Thanks for the suggestion

I like the name "double rainbow acro" because the color patterns on the corallites look like small rainbows.

OMG! 39 million views an I never saw this before. This had me LMAO and then I got sucked into the dark side of youtube for a while :/

I'm not quite sure what a double rainbow is though :)

Archived