Innovative Marine Aquariums

Podpimp's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

PODPIMP

Most Current Nov 23

https://flic.kr/p/pTehMZ'>15675939907_77b1cc6737_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pTehMZ'>Nov 22 2014 by https://www.flickr.com/people/110930925@N05/'>rich.colombo, on Flickr

DSC_0068 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

DSC_0041 by rich.colombo, on FlickrIMG_9031 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

My buddy :)

13297466003_d6b3e0856f_b.jpg
DSC_0004 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I have been stuck on cube tanks for the last few years. They are easy to light, compact, and have a clean look. My previous system consisted of a 60g and 30g cube plumbed together. This was ok but I knew that I wanted a bigger tank all along.
IMG_4660_zps97886f0d.jpg

I was lighting my 60 cube with a 400w Sfiligoi fixture which is capable of lighting a much larger cube. The plan was to keep the light for the new tank, whatever that might be. After looking around at stock 93 cubes and stands, I decided that it's not worth the upgrade. I didn't want a very low stand, and the sfiligoi can illuminate a larger space.
I called my buddy Mark from Reefomania in early september and told him that I wanted him to build me a cube 3 sides starphire. After some contemplation, I decided that 32x32x26 would fit the space well and give a decent water volume. The tank Came out perfect! Mark is a perfectionist.

The problem with a 32" cube stand is that it won't fit through a standard door frame of 29" unless it is built very low. I am 6'2" and don't want bad posture from bending down to see my reef :). I was left with 2 options. Either I build the stand in the room, or have it professionally built in 2 parts to clear the doorframe. Since I don't have woodworking tools, and don't really know what I'm doing, the decision was easy:lmao: I gave local stand builder and reef member tttony a call. Tony made a bunch of beautiful stands for guys in my area and I was confident in his ability.
I told him the dilemma with the door clearance, and that I wanted it in 2 parts for an overall height of 37". My wife and I also decided to go with a rustic finish, especially after seeing DBarsotti's 105g Cube thread(thanks for the idea). Tony was up for the challenge and ended up building exactly what I had in mind. I know this style isn't everyones cup of tea but it matches our decor. I think it looks cool:dance: We made the bottom "booster piece" into a draw to optimize usable space. I still have to add hardware but I find it extremely difficult to pull the trigger on something lol
IMG_6419_zps9849e4d7.jpg
11290062895_243617b3a7_c.jpg
IMG_6502 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
11290107596_5b94a05028_c.jpg
IMG_6501 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

New Tank in Place
11290153666_a5bc624659_c.jpg
IMG_6503 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

While the tank and stand was in the works I was deciding on the rock, filtration, and other details. I wanted to go with a branch scape like I did in previous tanks

old 24g
totmpics011.jpg
Old 34g
DSC_0010.jpg

I was able to get 40lbs of branch which ended up being way too much. My buddies made quick work of the excess ;) I cured branch and other fiji/marshall rock for 2 months to remove as much po4 as possible.

The latest trend seem to go with minimal rock in the tank. I like that look and decided to go that route. I was somewhat concerned with the lack of surface area for bacteria to grow on so I made a section of sump with an area for rock rubble. Actually I didn't make it :) Jeff from Custom king did. He does great work.
IMG_6673_zps1faf633e.jpg
IMG_6670_zps0e93d8e7.jpg

Decided on a Skimz DC controllable SM203. I had the skimz sk181 on my old system and it performed very well, but I felt that a little extra skimming power can hurt.
IMG_6247_zpsae411b14.jpg

So, it was time to do the transfer. Since I was using all new rock for the new system I was able to take my time. I actually had both systems up and running side by side so it was only a matter of mounting corals into their new home.

This is from Oct 31st 2013. The beginning :)
IMG_6543_zpsde9aaac3.jpg
IMG_6544_zps003011e9.jpg

Corals all mounted. Colors are way off at this moment :mad2:
IMG_6696_zps958befaa.jpg

Here is the tank today. I made a few aquascaping tweaks to make room for coral etc. i'm sure it will change more over the next few months.
11273706625_1ea8b1a5a8_c.jpg
Dec 8th fts by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I still have a lot to do to this system. I underestimated the amount of wires and stuff that i would have to conceal, so for now I have this hot mess:fun2:
DSC_0032_zpsa4ebeeb8.jpg
I'm probably going to give Tony a call to make me a matching piece of furniture to hide all this stuff. The tank is in a spare bedroom so I get lazy fixing it up :P My buddy Kasei (psuedo on the boards) organizes wires meticulously. I'm still waiting on his lazy *** to come help :sleep:

It's a work in progress. I'll be sure to update from time to time.

A couple more pics that i forgot :)

IMG_6702_zpsf62f441f.jpg
IMG_6701_zps1b78c33d.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, the new tank looks great! I really like that sump. Looks like all the corals have a lot of room to grow now!

Thanks! I haven't had a non-nano in many years. It's nice to have room:) I am going to try my best to keep my hands out of the tank and keep parameters very stable. I am actually toying with the idea of switching to an Ati led power model. I think I would get better growth under powerful t5s and still get the punch from led. Also, the 32" tank dinensions dont fit the 34" fixture perdectly. i dunno we'll see :)

Wow thats certainly a treat to the eyes! Very colorful, I notice you have had all sorts of lighting for your tanks, ATI, Radion, MH. Out of all of them which one would you prefer for overall SPS color and growth?

Excellent to see the new thread! Looks fantastic already, better than anything I've ever had.

Do you feed heavily or do anything except keep it well skimmed and phosphates low?

Wow thats certainly a treat to the eyes! Very colorful, I notice you have had all sorts of lighting for your tanks, ATI, Radion, MH. Out of all of them which one would you prefer for overall SPS color and growth?

Because my tanks are always heavy on the SPS my favorite has been MH with t5 supplement.

I have no patience for the point source intensity of LED Acclimation is a PITA and I don't want to run at half power and have a dim looking tank.

T5 by themselves makes my corals go pastel but I still like them :)

MH by itself lacks coverage that a linear source that T5 can provide. Combo was best for me.

I will probably change to an ATI LED soon. Ive seen these fixtures in person on SPS tanks and I'm blown away.

Excellent to see the new thread! Looks fantastic already, better than anything I've ever had.

Do you feed heavily or do anything except keep it well skimmed and phosphates low?

I feed fish 2-3 times per day, change filter sock every 4-5 days, skim heavily, and run gfo. I usually do %15 water changes every few weeks.

Here is a video taken with an iPhone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot guys. I'm glad you like the setup. I had my fingers crossed the whole time going with a rustic look but I think it worked out well. I found that cabinet at a local furniture shop. It is the perfect dimension and matches well. It's nice to have all my equipment concealed in there and not have to bend down. I just hooked up an APEX controller. First time dealing with a neptune controller...... major learning curve for me :(

Anyway, SPS growth is very fast right now, and colors keep improving. I am simply maintaining water quality, feeding fish, and letting the 400w radium do its job.

Inside of cabinet

11656214855_e81d4152d9_c.jpg
IMG_7314 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
Some random fish pics to keep it colorful :)

11518297503_0cb47eda51_c.jpg
DSC_0021 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

11518202024_ca64c56d9b_c.jpg
DSC_0032 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

11518272056_3cf1306cde_c.jpg
DSC_0064 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

11518299213_571d3f5351_c.jpg
DSC_0048 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

11518271506_293885287e_c.jpg
DSC_0055 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Looking good podpimp! I wish my fiancé would let me run my MH again... <_< Let me know if you need any help with the apex. I am not a guru with it, but I do know a few things.

Looking good podpimp! I wish my fiancé would let me run my MH again... <_< Let me know if you need any help with the apex. I am not a guru with it, but I do know a few things.

Thanks! I may take you up on that offer. I'm still trying to figure out how to get email notification.

Damn all livestock look very healthy, what type of salt do you run?

I am using reef crystals now but I usually use coralife. I never really put much emphasis on salt, IMO salt is salt. As long as they don't add any crazy stuff, in range on cal/alk/mg, and have good reliable quality..... It's all the same.

Thanks! I may take you up on that offer. I'm still trying to figure out how to get email notification.

Ya... I never could figure that out either. I stopped trying to figure it out since fusion will be out soon and it should be as simple as pie.

Ya... I never could figure that out either. I stopped trying to figure it out since fusion will be out soon and it should be as simple as pie.

I hope you're right. I need gain confidence using this controller. I know it's capable of so much but at the moment I use it for so little :)

nice to see someone else knows what a skimz is. i have yet to own a dc model but the next one will be

I was recommended a skimz for my previous 60 gallon by a local reefer whom I trust. I had the sk181 and I was very pleased. Easy to control, super consistent + powerful skim, quiet, efficient, moderately priced, and a small footprint. What's not to like?

I figured that an upgrade was in order for this larger tank. I got the DC for the heck of it but i find myself using the variable speed function quite often. Various additives, food, and filter sock changes make my skimmer go crazy. it's nice to lower it a level or two and be able to return to the same previous setting with the push of a button.

Beautiful upgrade. Love your little school of coris. Following.

Thanks. Those little guys add a lot of color.

I finally got all the wires and controllers hidden and organized (somewhat) in this matching rustic cabinet. The inside of the tank is doing very well. All SPS are growing and color is improving each day. I'll post an update of the inside of the tank soon :)
11481589764_b582042217_c.jpg
IMG_7196 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

11481711393_82c0d0f18a_c.jpg
IMG_7197 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
Red table color well

11327811424_a2a8c3e006_c.jpg
IMG_7068 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Very clean setup man. The room atmosphere is pleasing as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had to share this with you guys. I was look at the corals through an acrylic top down viewer today. I noticed that my blue tenuis looking coral had red polyps!!! I never saw this coloration on a coral before in person. I'm excited to see how it changes over the next few months.

And here is a video that I made the other day :)

Wow! Kills me how easy it is for some of you to get good color. :) I may have it now, but I have to wait a month or so to see if everything continues to color up.

It's a lot easier when you have a larger water volume, with a kick a$$ nutrient removal system, lots of fish and feeding, and a 400w radium.

Trust me, on my old 34 solana, it was a constant battle to get good colors.

Archived