Cultivated Reef

New! Micro-Reefs 12 x 12 x 12 Cold Water AIO system!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi all,

As many of you might know, I have been working on designing a 12 x 12 x 12 cube that would cater to the cold water enthusiast here on nanoreef.

The design of this tank will cater to using the chill solutions probes that Stu at Cold Water Marine Aquatics has been using on his Evolve 8 temperate system.

This will allow me to manufacturer the tank rather quickly and keep from having to find a base to house my old ice probes.

Our new system is going to use 1/2 inch acrylic top/bottom and all four sides! It will be rimless with cover tops for insulation and it will be cube square edges! To keep the maximum amount of cubic inches in the display away from the back filtration we are going to house the false wal and divdersl out of 1/4 inch material!

This system will also imploy a three part chambered filtration. We have in mind room for several popular after market skimmers a good area for a refugium and bubble trap to keep bubbles out of the display!

We will go with a very strong return pump that will also minimize heat transfer!

It's very exciting times at Micro-Reefs LLC, we will be rolling out the first five builds on a special, as pre-order $249.99 shipped!

If you are interested in being one of the first five to have this build, please contact me via PM. I will not take more than 5 orders with this first run!

Production turn around time will be approx 7 working days! :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any pictures? i've always been interested in cold water setups. one of the guys at my LFS has a 48x18x18 cold water thats built with 1 1/2" all the way around but at the rate he's going it'll be years before he finishes.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

any pictures? i've always been interested in cold water setups. one of the guys at my LFS has a 48x18x18 cold water thats built with 1 1/2" all the way around but at the rate he's going it'll be years before he finishes.

I pick up my 1/2 material on the 10th of this month from our supplier! :)

Here is the warehouse: candy land for my company! :)

xmk5tt.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR MIKE!!!

Seriously cannot wait to get this tank in 1/2" and toss my old Aqueon :D

Stu,

You set the bar with the Aqueon. You showed reefers the possibilities. I waited patiently following your thread watching it evolve. It inspired me to create my 10 x 10 tropical cube to compete with the Aqueon 4.

Well the wait is finally over, I pick up the material tomorrow and should be seeing the prototype build coming to this thread on Friday! :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Stu,

Those are nice! My vote went to this one at Ikea for $49 bucks 17 x 14 x 24 . You can cut a whole to drop in the ice-probes or conceal the Chill Solutions inside the cabinet. The back has the option of being opened completely or partially open.

Wonder if your chiller would fit inside and just remove the back so it could vent out!

It's an option for reefers wanting to keep the temperate system in their rooms! Very stylish and only $49 bucks! ;)

2wnwndt.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Yeah it would fit right inside there!

Did you see that the Chill solutions guys also sell 1/2" clear hard plastic U tubes so that you can us it as a hang on?

CS-180PVC_1024x1024.jpg

And their new model they have comes in black on black!

Black-Black_1024x1024.jpg

This stand would look nice also! For my larger chiller needing a big more space and ventilation this would work perfect :) Or you could drill down into the drawer area and house the Iceprobes or chill solutions out of sight!

hemnes-nightstand__71551_PE191678_S4.jpg

Do you think they would look at me funny if I brought my tank from you into Ikea and test fit it on all of them to see how it looks? Lol :lol:

AquaticEngineer

This was my other idea, since I have to have everything out of the prying hands of my 3 kids.

Gonna do it open backed and set the tank up on the 3rd shelf, then take out the 4th shelf. Mount the chiller directly below it with a cabinet door and then mount my DIY kessil light into the very top. I'll whip out a google sketchup of what I'm thinking ;) Gotta love that ikea makes all their cabinets to fit your coldwater tanks........or are you making your tanks to fit ikeas cabinets.......? IKEA CONSPIRACY!!!! LOL

expedit-shelving-unit-with-drawers__0204

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Endless options for our tanks and I can customize our build to fit anyone of those. :)

Yeah it would fit right inside there!

Did you see that the Chill solutions guys also sell 1/2" clear hard plastic U tubes so that you can us it as a hang on?

CS-180PVC_1024x1024.jpg

And their new model they have comes in black on black!

Black-Black_1024x1024.jpg

This stand would look nice also! For my larger chiller needing a big more space and ventilation this would work perfect :) Or you could drill down into the drawer area and house the Iceprobes or chill solutions out of sight!

hemnes-nightstand__71551_PE191678_S4.jpg

Do you think they would look at me funny if I brought my tank from you into Ikea and test fit it on all of them to see how it looks? Lol :lol:

Stu,

Chill Solutions is sending me the black on black, so cool to match our black acrylic tank! ;)

AquaticEngineer

Okay Mike I figured out what I'm gonna do to use my DIY LED, the Chiller I have right now, and your new tank!

Check this out ;) Gonna try and find a used one of these stands on craigslist, but worst case its $79.99 brand new.

IkeaExpedit1x5withTankandChillerfrontlow

IkeaExpedit1x5withTankandChiller_zps75ce

IkeaExpedit1x5withTankandChillerBack_zps

patrickbruno91

A cold water seems like it would be pretty awesome to own, i was researching on it a bit. It is just harder to to obtain livestock i am guessing?

AquaticEngineer

YES! Just scored one of the above stands for $35 on Craiglsist! New paint and a couple of hole and it'll be rocking like the above pictures! Can't wait to get your new tank Mike and start my micro reefs build thread!

A cold water seems like it would be pretty awesome to own, i was researching on it a bit. It is just harder to to obtain livestock i am guessing?

It was harder, until micro reefs and coldwater marine aquatics made it possible ;)

There's actually quite a few people down in San Diego keeping coldwater tanks! Hop onto this coldwater discussion group on Facebook and I bet they will chime in :)www.facebook.com/groups/ColdwaterOwners

patrickbruno91

YES! Just scored one of the above stands for $35 on Craiglsist! New paint and a couple of hole and it'll be rocking like the above pictures! Can't wait to get your new tank Mike and start my micro reefs build thread!

It was harder, until micro reefs and coldwater marine aquatics made it possible ;)

There's actually quite a few people down in San Diego keeping coldwater tanks! Hop onto this coldwater discussion group on Facebook and I bet they will chime in :)www.facebook.com/groups/ColdwaterOwners

Awesome, ill have to make a facebook and check it out. i see that you are from oregon, is this your site? http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm Thanks for the info. Maybe i will have to give it a try, they look beautiful grown out. Plus the AIO concept i like.

AquaticEngineer

Thats Steve Weast's site, he was one of my inspirations and pointed me in the right direction on a lot of stuff early on when I was getting my tanks together. He actually broke down his coldwater system and I inherited all the livestock that didnt go to public aquariums.

This is my site: www.coldwatermarineaquatics.com :)

patrickbruno91

That's awesome that he was one of your inspirations and you ended up obtaining livestock from him. That is pretty cool. Added your site to my favorites tab! I think ill attempt to build one in January after all the holidays.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

If you could make the lids fit like this it would be epic!

lids_zpsc4523f8c.jpg

Lids like this are beautiful and elegant and serve nicely on a small temperate tank. However, I would not incorporate that on our 12 x 12 x 12 tank because we use 1/2 inch on top to better insulate the system.

Think of it as a ice cooler, the lid is equally as think as the rest of the sides.

Hopefully this makes sense and since I flame polish all my tanks, the look is just spectacular when you have all sides looking equally in thickness

AquaticEngineer

Was thinking about how cool this tank would look with white acrylic on a whhite 2 cube stand. This stand plus the cabinet drawer insert are only about $55 bucks from tons of places on line and they fit those CL-85's and CL-150's perfect with room to breath :)

Ikea1x2standwithMicroReefsAIOfront_zps33

Ikea1x2standwithMicroReefsAIO_zps097adf9

Looks great. Hope to find similar warehouse locally for my winter project (72" or 96" 1/2" long). Shipping is pricey due to size and weight.

Will follow your build Mike

Sweet deal as always

Archived