Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bubba's DIY 21.8 Gallon Coast 2 Coast - Coral En Route!

Bubba30

• 2 weeks later...

Custom mounted Radion Gen2 Pro is hung. Big thank you to Chris from PicO for creating these brackets exactly to my specs. It goes so good with the room I am very happy. Somehow seems cleaner than my R420R. The middle of the light is about 6.5" off the wall; the tank is 15" deep so it's a little offset to the back. I plan on keeping acans in the front bottom of the tank where par will be lower. Hopefully I don't get a ton of light spilling off the front too.

post-76224-0-02274900-1395963523_thumb.jpg

post-76224-0-94238600-1395963532_thumb.jpg

post-76224-0-58511900-1395963559_thumb.jpg

This is an old table. As much as I like it; just not sturdy enough. Stand should be finished tomorrow.

I just finished a bathroom remodel so I should have a lot more free time!

post-76224-0-70697600-1395963745_thumb.jpg

Hope the stand comes out as nice as the bathroom vanity I built.

• Like 1

Did a little Radion surgery this morning. Last night at 3 am I'm thinking about running the Radion power wire through the wall; I was concerned it would look sloppy coming out the side of the fixture. I already took the power cord off the light because I didn't want to drill a 1" hole in the wall to accommodate the waterproof connection to the PSU. Now I just need to deal with a 1/4" hole. So I drilled Radion directly under the right bracket in the back. Now power exits the rear of the light and I will run it right under the bracket through the wall. If there is a phobia for fear of seeing wires I certainly have it.

post-76224-0-38183500-1396538571_thumb.jpg

You can see the old hole plugged with some nylon push fastener and the new hole/grommet installed in the rear. It's the little things that matter in this build.

I just bought new walnut flooring for the house so I'm going to get it installed before I bring the tank into the equation. I've waited this long what's another couple weeks. I might set the tank up to cycle so once the floor is in everything will be ready.

They are 3 x 3; the rest is 2 xs. Laminating 3/4" ply with 3/4" pine for the top. I was literally just jumping on it. Overkill for a 22 gallon but I like the chunky look.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

post-76224-0-65937800-1406657968_thumb.jpg

post-76224-0-31014200-1406657977_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not this build is still alive. Tank is on a stand which is progress. So much to finish up around the house before I even get to my sump room. I bought a 20" x 20" x 16" rimless for my sump. I plan on setting up a false back wall 6" deep with filter sock, skimmer, and reactor; display fuge in the front 12". Need to wrap up all my house work so I can focus on the tank again! Taking the tank out of the closet has me excited.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

post-76224-0-68552200-1445463501_thumb.jpeg

Sump build is underway and starting to get my equipment together. My fish closet still needs some work it I'm just trying to get to the point I can cycle this dry rock.

I'd really like to get a nice lense for my Nikon D3000 and document my build better. Along with this I'd need to find a good host for my pictures. Any suggestions?

• Like 1
theleftcoastguy

I'm diggin the attention to detail! I've been using photobucket but I feel like they have a lot of advertisement. Although all free host sites might be swamped with ads. I don't know. Other than that it works just fine for me.

• Like 1

Had a baby, remodeled the entire house, got promoted and work too much, now it is time to enjoy everything and get this bad boy wet. It's still my dream tank after all this time so I am really excited. Thanks for following.

• Like 1

Waiting on the laser cut pieces still. I was going to have it built for me to save time but it didn't work out. The sump tank is dermed top and bottom so I can change the rim color to white. I'm thinking of just keeping it rimless on the top now.

I brought my stand back to my welder to add some more supports as it bowed about 1/8" across the 54". Need piece of mind in case a kid is running around the tank. Going to add a lot more cross bars to get all the weight onto the legs.

My acrylic baffles shipped and I'll have them Thursday.

I am thinking I may start cycling my rock in a bucket to get things rolling. If I do this would I need a heater running?

• Like 1