inTank Media Baskets

Bubba's DIY 21.8 Gallon Coast 2 Coast - Coral En Route!

Bubba30

post-76224-0-93068800-1386205641_thumb.jpg

So I finally got around to siliconing this bad boy up. Dimensions are 28L x 15W x 13H. I made a jig to clamp it to as I didn't have another set of hands. I dry fit it with 1/16" spacers and drew guide lines so there is a nice even fillet of silicone. I'm planning on trimming the silicone inside and out then masking as if I were resealing the tank. I'm going to have about 1/8" bead inside.

Once it is all done I'm going to paint the bottom of the tank black and laminate a piece of closed cell PVC foam to the bottom with 1/16" neoprene laminated to the PVC.

The overflow will be out the back of the tank. I'm planning a 1/2" deep false back wall. I'm going to cap it off with a laser(pew pew) cut acrylic box that will sit flush inside the tank.

Just bought a new MP10 (20% off) and have a 120w R420R to light it. A new octopus DC return pump. Eventually I'm going to try my hand at an acrylic sump to replace my 20H.

• Like 3

post-76224-0-22414100-1386538065_thumb.jpg

Cleaning up silicone spillage. Hopefully get it all masked off and run the inside bead later tonight. I see a couple very small bubbles but nothing on the front which is great. It is no reef savvy but $500 cheaper and no shipping. Should work well for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Little update:

I finally got my laser cut acrylic pieces from Pokono.com for my overflow box. Lasers are awesome...

post-76224-0-57539500-1391443289_thumb.jpg

I taped it up quick just to see how it will look and get a feel for the size.

post-76224-0-53289200-1391443311_thumb.jpg

(Don't mind all the holes in the wall)

post-76224-0-16484000-1391443333_thumb.jpg

post-76224-0-15030500-1391443341_thumb.jpg

It's 1.25" deep. I will be cutting a recess in the top piece so it sits flush with the top edge of the tank. Then I will be drilling and installing the bulk heads prior to siliconing the false back wall in.

I also ordered a couple of brackets from Chris at PicO to mount my Gen 2 Radion Pro. It is going to be sleek and clean; can't wait. Once the tank is together things should move a lot quicker. Although I still need to build a new stand and redo my sump room... I need some time off work.

Thank you Hey. Usually you don't see so much surface skimming on our little nano tanks but I think it looks very clean.

My son is 10 months old and barely fits ok that towel now. They grow up so fast as I'm sure you know.

Thank you Hey. Usually you don't see so much surface skimming on our little nano tanks but I think it looks very clean. My son is 10 months old and barely fits ok that towel now. They grow up so fast as I'm sure you know.

Yeh, I got another on the way in april so I am going to get more shark towel awesomeness soon. Another great thing about kids is they have a true interest in living things more so than toys. It's fun having someone just as stoked about my fish as me. My wife sure isn't lol.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Man; PicO nailed these brackets. They are perfect! My Radion is going to look so sick attached to these!!

I really prefer the look of a bracketed radion over a ceiling mounted one but maybe I am wierd. Some fixtures just don't lend themselves to dangling from a ceiling.

• Like 1

I used 3/8" low iron glass. Acquired it from Brooklyn, NY from Crystal Glass (www.customglassnyc.com) for around $120. Used Momentive RTV100 series silicone. If I had more hands I would have taken more pictures but I did post some more info in the DIY thread. It is no easy task and if your a perfectionist like me (more OCD really ) you'll need to accept some flaws. I love the fact that I slapped the tank together myself; saving a couple hundred dollars was nice too so I could upgrade to a radion, new mp10, and a nice adjustable flow DC pump.

I really prefer the look of a bracketed radion over a ceiling mounted one but maybe I am wierd. Some fixtures just don't lend themselves to dangling from a ceiling.

post-76224-0-21093500-1391603418_thumb.jpg

(Old tank)

My tank is in our living room on a "focal wall" with pictures... Wires from the ceiling wouldn't cut it. My sump is also behind the tank in a utility closet. It just makes sense. The razor I mounted using aluminum u bar diy. They are a little too chunky IMO. Anything cantilevered is cool.

masterbuilder

Custom_25G_12.jpg

OK.... Bubba....who stole who's idea? I didnt see this thread until today. Wish i had because I had a heck of a time finding someone to cut the overflow teeth and would have used your laser guy. . Was about to do it myself but eventually found a source. Waiting for the overflow to be delivered.

I just took the tape off my new home -made tank yesterday. 28x15x13.

Same exact equipment and build method except I have no room for a sump, so adding a false wall for a AOI type design.

End of hijack

Mark

• Like 1

Nice build Mark. Do you have a build thread going?

I'm kind of torn on how to aqua scape. I really like the two island look but I might go with a little more rock. You have any ideas being you stole my dimensions?

Nice build Mark. Do you have a build thread going? I'm kind of torn on how to aqua scape. I really like the two island look but I might go with a little more rock. You have any ideas being you stole my dimensions?

hard to go wrong with 2 islands, I wouldn't worry about rock volume it is pretty easy to get enough biofiltration from minimal rock. I think I have 8 lbs in my 22 and its been running with no probs for over a year now.

masterbuilder

No thread bubba30. Not ready YET...its a slow build

To answer your question....I was thinking of 3 islands but not sure if I will have the length to pull that off.

Mark

p.s. Would share more but seeing how you stole my idea better remain under the radar ;)

hard to go wrong with 2 islands, I wouldn't worry about rock volume it is pretty easy to get enough biofiltration from minimal rock. I think I have 8 lbs in my 22 and its been running with no probs for over a year now.
Yea; I am planning on throwing a couple liters of Sea Chem Martix in my sump anyway.

No thread bubba30. Not ready YET...its a slow build To answer your question....I was thinking of 3 islands but not sure if I will have the length to pull that off. Mark p.s. Would share more but seeing how you stole my idea better remain under the radar ;)
I've got 3" of length on you... I can fit 3 islands no problem. Thanks for yet another idea.
  • Like 1
masterbuilder

Whoops...you caught my mistake. Fixed it with the edit button. Its 28" long like yours. Decided on that length to fit the Razor. So now I have an 1" on you (in height).

I will be following your thread. Have a feeling it going to be a good one.

Mark

Trying to make my sump room into something to look at. What would you do with all this space?!?

We have laundry to the left so water supply and a drain are right there. Might figure something out to pump water directly down the drain for water changes.