Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I Had To Do It....... With UPDATE

basser1

:(

hopefully it'll snap out of it, I think clams are much more resiliant than we give them credit for. the snails were likely there to clean the shell, I had 4 hermits on my new clam last night just cleaning away at the shell.

if it's mantle is coming out at all and is responsive, it definitely has a chance IMO.. don't write it off yet, just cross your fingers and hopefully it'll be out tonight looking happy as a.. well, you know.

did you burp it? maybe it has gas...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I came home from work today and it looks like parts of the mantle are flaking off. I don't know if this is from the snails or what. I have read where snails "sense" when a clam is dying or sick, don't know if that's true or not. I contacted PEA by phone to give them an update and they want me to send them an updated photo. I want to remove it before it fouls up my tank.

All of this because I wanted a green clam...... sheesh!!!!!

If Nassarius snails were on it right away, it's doomed. They can sense death in the water and react very quickly to it. Crabs will do this as well.

If the tank is of decent size and well established, I wouldn't worry too much about it fouling the tank. I've had 3 clams killed in one day by a green coris wrasse. Clean up crew dealt with the remains for another day or two. Never phased the water quality.

Sucks to be that clam...

is it the green one that's having the problem or the original one they sent you?

If Nassarius snails were on it right away, it's doomed. They can sense death in the water and react very quickly to it. Crabs will do this as well.

If the tank is of decent size and well established, I wouldn't worry too much about it fouling the tank. I've had 3 clams killed in one day by a green coris wrasse. Clean up crew dealt with the remains for another day or two. Never phased the water quality.

Sucks to be that clam...

Yes it was the green one. Seemed like I remember reading or hearing something about snails eating clams once they sensed a clam was going under.

The tank is a BC29 but it is well established. I'm not giving in on it just yet, as tonight I noticed it trying to open and it was closing as fish got too close to it. So..... Stay tuned, Ill keep everybody updated.

You know I think I agree with you guys now that I look at it.........

Yes and I have to report that sadly, I don't think it's gonna make it. When I received my package yesterday and opening it, the bag of water the clam came in was very cold. PEA had it boxed nicely with insulated styrofoam box with newspaper and foam peanuts all around it. They also had 2 heat pack, but 1 was barely warm and the other was cold. So I don't know how much they helped. Maybe it's just too much of a risk to ship livestock out during sub-freezing temps.

But I still did a 1 hour drip acclimation and put it on the tank bottom. Once I did, I noticed my nassarius snails wer on it instantly, not a good sign I thought. It's reflexes were still good, opening and closing when something was near it. But this morning, the mantle isn't extended and it is gaping pretty big. I'll give it over the week-end and see how it does, but I'm not holding out much hope.

I have contacted PEA and included pics, so I'll see what kind of reply I get.......

BTW, here is a photo of it

bqvx.jpg

Well sadly I removed the clam from the tank tonight. It never really snapped out of it being shipped in a bag of cold water. The mantle was receding, plus gaping and it was no longer responsive to movements or shadows. Plus I could see the inner edges of the inside of the clam. I didn't want to run the risk of it fouling my tank.

On a happier note however, the clam that was sent to me by mistake is doing great! Some time down the road I may try another one, when the weather warms up that is!

Archived