SaltCritters.com

Is this Bryospis?

italipinos8

Looks like bryopsis to me. I found a couple little sprigs of it the in my tank the other day. I treated it with hydrogen peroxide and it appeared to kill it off. Then started coming back a week later, so H2O2 again and I'm ramping my Magnesium up to around 1800 with Kent Tech M just to be sure any invisible bits are killed off. Sometimes it's hard to completely get the roots killed off with H2O2.

If the rock that it's on is easily removable and it doesn't have any corals on it, I'd take it out and soak it in H2O2 for 5-10 minutes, then rinse the rock in salt water for a little bit, then put it back. Keep a close eye on the rest of the tank for signs of it.

I've soaked rocks with zoas and palys in a 50/50 mixture of store bought H2O2 and saltwater for 5 minutes with no ill effect to the corals. I've also spot treated areas of the rock with an eye dropper and full strength H2O2. It needs to sit on the rock for at least 5 minutes before you rinse it. Get any zoas or palys to close up before you soak them.

Clemson tigers eh?

Haha yup. Gotta love my tigers.

As for the tank i just got back from Thanksgiving break. Left the tank about a week ago and came back to bryopsis. Its not just on one rock. Its on pretty much all of them, back wall, the glass. Im going to kent some kent tech m tomorrow and also something to test magnesium with. As for now, lights are off and making water to do a water change.

Hopefully going to have some chaeto in the next couple weeks to rid of extra nutrients.

Bryopsis came on my first zoa frag. 4 months later, I am still fighting it. I dipped the rock that had it in H202, but it came back on another rock then back on the original rock. I am not sure if there's a permanent way to get rid of it or if it will lurk in the tank forever. Now, I am going to just manage it by loading up macroalgae to compete for phosphates and nitrates.

Bryopsis came on my first zoa frag. 4 months later, I am still fighting it. I dipped the rock that had it in H202, but it came back on another rock then back on the original rock. I am not sure if there's a permanent way to get rid of it or if it will lurk in the tank forever. Now, I am going to just manage it by loading up macroalgae to compete for phosphates and nitrates.

Have you tried using the Kent-m magnesium method to rid of it?

Do NOT ramp up the magnesium. You have to shock the system or the bryopsis can become magnesium resistant.

Then it gets even more difficult to get rid of it.

<Speaks from experience.

Do NOT ramp up the magnesium. You have to shock the system or the bryopsis can become magnesium resistant.

Then it gets even more difficult to get rid of it.

<Speaks from experience.

What do you mean by this?

If you ramp up the magnesium levels gradually, the bryopsis can adapt and survive the treatment.

If that happens, the remaining bryopsis becomes immune to the magnesium treatment method of removal, and you have to find another way to get rid of it.

• 2 months later...

I shocked my system with Tech-M. Used about a gallon over a relatively short period. No more bryopsis (going on probably 7-8 months), but I did get a bad cyano outbreak after...

Archived