Cultivated Reef

Drop off Vivarium-Frogs!

Giga

Oooh so is it like you have several batches of flies and then when one is ready you put it in the vivarium and then open it and close lid quickly

Also i like the idea of the tetras in a little water feature, is it going to be like a little water fall that would be gorgeous of it came from up top and trickled down into the drop,

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh so is it like you have several batches of flies and then when one is ready you put it in the vivarium and then open it and close lid quickly

Also i like the idea of the tetras in a little water feature, is it going to be like a little water fall that would be gorgeous of it came from up top and trickled down into the drop,

Most people feed one of the flightless varieties. They just crawl around everywhere.

Reefer Addict

My wife usually says yes regarding my addictions as long as a wall does not get torned down.. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I'm going to try and do a waterfall as it would look pretty epic! Also you usually tap them into another container-dust them-then put them in.

Most people feed one of the flightless varieties. They just crawl around everywhere.

yep

My wife usually says yes regarding my addictions as long as a wall does not get torned down.. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

yeah I actually had to fight for that one

IIRC the gene that renders fruit flies "flightless" is recessive so if anything the bigger fear is a wild fly getting IN.

I miss my lizards, but I definitely don't miss the days of having random crickets running around my house. In the store we wound up employing some Tokay gheckos to roam the place and pick off the escapees. That reminds me of the time I filled my buddy's coat pockets full of crickets before we closed for the night...good times.

pocket full of crickets LOL

here the general idea for this tank-it will be a twisted tree with rocks half on the flat part of the tank and half going down the drop off, a river going under it that will then go down the drop off and be a waterfall. I'll try and draw what I mean but in the mean time here's my inspiration(first pic is the best one!)

kwbe.jpg

0dp8.jpg

45ib.jpg

Omg that looks insane mate. Good luck with the build!

I hope it turns out well, since most people don't know what a vivarium is let alone dart frogs. I'm hoping people that come over will will be inspired to research such things

Now this is a project I will be following for sure!

It sure is, gonna be a lot of hours involve in this thing!

Anyone have a time machine I can borrow to see what this will look like in a few years?

Can I have one too?

Wow how are you going to manage mangrove forest black lagoon and this...more importantly how am I to keep up

Edit wait black lagoon and this vivarium are different things right?

Wow how are you going to manage mangrove forest black lagoon and this...more importantly how am I to keep up

Edit wait black lagoon and this vicarious are different things right?

Not to bad I just don't sleep lol, my wife and daughter go to bed early so I do most maintenance then. Also it helps to have everything in one room aka the frog/reef room. When all told and done I will have 8dart frog tanks (plus 8 grow out tanks)and the two reef tanks. Plus a lot of bug cultures lol

How would a mangrove do in a vivarium out of curiosity? I've been playing with the idea of a Viv for a while but not for a while due to the almighty dollar.

How would a mangrove do in a vivarium out of curiosity? I've been playing with the idea of a Viv for a while but not for a while due to the almighty dollar.

I image they would do really well.Problem is, at least dart frog viv's, is they have a false bottom and there could be a major issue with the mangroves and roots n such.

Not to bad I just don't sleep lol, my wife and daughter go to bed early so I do most maintenance then. Also it helps to have everything in one room aka the frog/reef room. When all told and done I will have 8dart frog tanks (plus 8 grow out tanks)and the two reef tanks. Plus a lot of bug cultures lol

And by reef tanks you mean soon to be lol they kinda need corals to be a reef. But still you have us jealous, coral would have us on our knees.

I image they would do really well.Problem is, at least dart frog viv's, is they have a false bottom and there could be a major issue with the mangroves and roots n such.

... False bottom, like egg crate laid down in bottom, for what...?

.... False bottom, like egg crate laid down in bottom, for what...?

Water runoff. otherwise if you let it sit the substrate will get all funky and rot faster than you want it to.

kwbe.jpg

I designed my viv to look like this picture. Unfortunately I had to take it down before I had the chance to get some tincs.

Are you planning to use natural driftwood/roots for this build, or were you thinking of constructing your own? I personally plan to use the PVC & Rope method for my next build; getting tired of searching high and low for the perfect pieces of wood.

The method used in this thread is what I will be following: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/57563-pics-my-new-constructed-vivarium.html

Giga! This is gonna be really cool! I know you're into bonsai (I am too).

Have you thought about making a penjing-type of design? Some of the

penjing mini landscape designs are just insane! Just a thought. :) W-

• 2 weeks later...

This I going to be great! I've always wanted a Viv as well!

I tell you, It's just as great as having a reef, once the hardscape is done and it's planted with orchids,ferns and bromiliads n such it amazing to just stare at-then you add frog and you don't leave B)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Giga" data-cid="4578574" data-time="1387462249"><p>

<br />

I tell you, It's just as great as having a reef, once the hardscape is done and it's planted with orchids,ferns and bromiliads n such it amazing to just stare at-then you add frog and you don't leave B)</p></blockquote>

I was going to do a ten gallon but I think it would grow out too quickly. I'll live through this tank :)

I tell you, It's just as great as having a reef, once the hardscape is done and it's planted with orchids,ferns and bromiliads n such it amazing to just stare at-then you add frog and you don't leave B)

I was going to do a ten gallon but I think it would grow out too quickly. I'll live through this tank :)
You could do a vertical 10 for a pair of thumbnails
I love how all of your builds involve framing!
It's actually kind of annoying lol, I just want to be a the hard scape stage already, but the final image will be awesome me tinks!

Archived