SaltCritters.com

TaterTot's Office PicO III Lit by NanoBox

TaterTot24

In the hopes of keeping my build thread interesting, here are some more random pics...

The 2 pics below are of my Tunze 9004 skimmer in the 1st chamber of my tank (notice I had to turn it sideways to fit)...

IMAG0558.jpg

IMAG0559.jpg

Looks like the Nitrites are still around 1 ppm so hopefully it will continue to go down...

IMAG0560-1.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I am trying to get the tank to be able to process 3 ppm of ammonia & nitrites in 24 hours (per the Dr. Tim's fishless cycle guide)...

I thought my tank should be done cycling since it has been 3 weeks, but yesterday I dosed 3 ppm of ammonia in the tank and today it is still about 1.8 ppm and the nitrites are about .8 ppm.

I know my NitrAtes are pretty high, so should I do a water change and try again? Could the NitrAtes be affecting the growth of the nitrifying bacteria?

I will not be able to test tomorrow, but if the ammonia & nitrites have not both been taken down to 0 by Thursday, then I am doing a water change.

Well I am still trying to get the tank to finish cycling, but I am really in no hurry since I will not be adding any fish until after the New Year. I may go ahead and order some more bacteria just to try to give the tank an extra boost... It currently seems to take about 48 hours to process 3 ppm of Ammonia and I am struggling to get it down any quicker than that..

Anyway, some of you may have seen another thread I had on the quality of my PicO tank. I just wanted to say that Chris @ PicO has went above and beyond to make sure I am happy. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to him and mentioned that I had people asking about why there was no cover over the rear compartments, so he just sent me a cover free of charge. He also sent me an MP10 shield that I needed a few weeks before that. Even though I had some back luck with my tank, I think that you cannot go wrong with a PicO....

Just to keep things interesting, here is a picture of the rear compartment cover.

BEFORE:
IMAG0571.jpg

AFTER:
IMAG0569.jpg

Also, look what Santa brought me...

IMAG0570.jpg

Look what came in yesterday.... (note: mine came in pieces so I could run the light's wires through my light bar)

IMAG0574.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks that there is not enough pictures of the underside of the Nanobox lights?

IMAG0575-1.jpg

Now I can finally finish up my light bar... Here it is getting a first shot of paint...

IMAG0573.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks that there is not enough pictures of the underside of the Nanobox lights?

+1!!

I mentioned that to Dave today actually and he sent me the link to this thread. Granted, the tops are pieces of art and that's what everyone sees, but this is the first picture I've seen of the underside!! Dave is a great guy and very helpful and patient. I ordered my 24" Duo from him today. It's going to be a tricked out custom job. I can't wait!

And your tank looks great! :)

+1!! I mentioned that to Dave today actually and he sent me the link to this thread. Granted, the tops are pieces of art and that's what everyone sees, but this is the first picture I've seen of the underside!! Dave is a great guy and very helpful and patient. I ordered my 24" Duo from him today. It's going to be a tricked out custom job. I can't wait! And your tank looks great! :)

Thanks! Yeah, I think I had seen maybe 2 pics of the underside of the light before I got mine. Make sure you shoot me a link to your thread when you get your Light.

Well as you know, I can only "work" on my tank when I am at work (and not busy doing actual work),,, So here lately, I have not had much free time for the tank. I have been trying to get my APEX setup and going on the company network (fun fun) and also trying to finish my light bar. I cannot wait to see this light over the tank.

Also, I know I never get any responses from this thread but just in case anyone is reading --> I turned on my skimmer for the first time ever and let it run over night (I know I am only in the end of my cycle period) and there was nothing. No bubbles, no foam, nothing in the cup, and it makes a little bit of an annoying clicking noise (kind of like an old hard drive in an old computer). Anyway, I guess I will see what happens after I start adding fish...

You should have some skimmate even without fish. The skimmer should be producing bubbles and all.

-Dave

Thanks for the comment Dave. I thought something may have been wrong, but I was not 100% sure -- Everyone needs to order a light from this guy -- it comes with free aquarium advice!

So I took the whole thing apart for the 2nd time today and made sure it was all assembled correctly (some people complain that the air hose or motor gets jarred loose during shipping). It still was not doing anything...

So as a last resort, I decided to blow through the breather hole on the little plastic "bubble counter" and then it just magically starts working like a champ...

Great build so far. Nice work TT24

Thanks...

Still working on getting the light mounted...

Dave - The hanging wire has been a real pain for me. I did not have anything good enough to cut it with so every time I tried to trim it it frayed on me. That made it impossible to feed into the grommets on the top of the light. I finally found something nice and sharp and got the wire cut. As far as the securing the wire to the light bar, I drilled a small hole in the bottom and a larger hole i the top and fed the wire through that way. I ended up tying the wire in a tight knot and then I got out my soldering iron and soldered the knot in place. I do not think it is going anywhere...

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Note the tank is pushed forward in this pic so I could get to the wiring and mounting screws.

Looks killer! I apologize that I forgot to say that IF you have a tab of solder or wax it will keep from fraying.

Glad everything is in and good to go.

-Dave

First FTS with Nanobox installed.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

My Light is exactly 6" above the surface of the water. Does that sound right?

My camera on my phone apparently freaks out when I try to take a closeup pic of the tank now. This is the best I could do (looks much better in person...)

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Well my tank has been processing Ammonia for about 3 weeks now, it can process about 3ppm in about 36 hours (the Nitrites also clear up in that time as well).

I have been adding Ammonia about every other day for those 3 weeks... When I measured the NitrAtes today, there were over 50 ppm. So I decided to do a 4 gallon water change (20%), and I will be picking up my first fish at the beginning of next week.

I got a gift certificate at a LFS (MemFish) for Christmas, so I decided to pick up something there. They are holding a Hi Fin Goby & Randall's Pistol Shrimp (Candy Cane/Red Banded) pair for me...

Also, I lowered my Light & Arm both about 1" today. Originally it was about 6" above the surface of water, so now it is 5". I just thought it was too high and it was throwing light all over my office and would just about blind you if you sat on my couch (beside the tank). Plus by lowering the light AND mounting arm together I think it makes the proportions look better.

Just my luck, I finally get the tank all setup and ready for fish and I learn that they are replacing the tile in my office this weekend. I told the tile guys just to slightly move the tank and not to unplug anything. Hopefully they do not screw anything up. Ok, I am done...

Well not only did the flooring company leave my tank unplugged for 3 hours, they also ripped a hole in my leather couch... Needless to say I am not very happy...

Anyway, I did a 20% water change and my Nitrates are still around 30 ppm, so I will probably do another 20% change this afternoon. Then I will go and pickup my Hi Fin and Randall tomorrow.

Here is a pic of my couch (just to keep things interesting)

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Well I got the Hi Fin & Randall shrimp today and man are they tiny. The goby has to be close to the smallest fish I have ever seen. Anyway, they are already paired up and have dug themselves out a little hole. Sorry no pictures today, but hopefully they will venture out. How do I go about feeding this little guy if he will not come out? Just wait him out?

Also, I just wanted to note that I did another 20% water change yesterday and my Nitrates are still about 10 ppm. I will probably do another change this weekend to get it the rest of the way down.

Well got the Goby to eat 1 pellet today, but he is still pretty shy. I am just glad to have some fish in the tank.

If you guys can excuse another crappy phone pic, then see the Goby & Shrimp (his claw at least) in the pic below...

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Archived