Cultivated Reef

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Polarcollision

I think you've answered this a hundred times, but what camera do you use? And lens (if SLR).

Beautiful pictures ... will be nice to see that digitata color up.

Nevermind, found it in the other thread.

For the super zooms there's also a manual 200mm bellows.

LFS sold me a local dip called ALL OUT that did get rid of a ton of flatworms and other pests. Don't see any evidence of any hold outs, but the cost was a bit of bleaching. Luckily I picked up the nano pack zeovit starter bottles which are AMAZING for encouraging color to come back.

Polarcollision

I love the new upgrade! I have to say you have amazing taste in picking out that stand :) Its so perfect for this tank and for storage.

Thanks! It has been a lot of fun having more space to try out new corals. I've never done the finicky SPS or branched out much into LPS, so that's where this tank is going. I lost two of the trial acros in the transfer, but the remaining one is soooo happy in the new space, so... Hello frags. :-) The second light is still awaiting shipping. I dunno, maybe 2 weeks out and then they all get glued down!

As for the stand - couldn't believe the luck. Exact match to an odd-sized tank. Perfect! But have to give credit to Tim. He has good taste and was kinda egging me on to make a little water zen garden.

• 1 month later...
Polarcollision

Finally got the second light for L side of tank. And a bunch of SPS frags. Here's one from sundown tonight

I forgot how hard it is to wait for frags to grow. Let's just skip forward 6 months, K?

v3Kgwv2.jpg

• Like 9
Polarcollision

Local frag swap today... OMG it feels like Christmas all over again.

Scored an Oregon Tort frag for... $10. Can you believe that? Even if it's actually something else, the blue is out of this world and I love it!

GpTHS5h.jpg

Another from my loooooong time wish list: Rainbow stylophora. Should pink up in higher light

GOKf8IE.jpg

Red planet for $15. Yet another super sweet deal.

ImV8q5U.jpg

Pipe organ came with a chiton and berghia nudibranch hh. Sweet!

oHH1a3h.jpg

Rastas. I'm the last person to get these, right?? :-)

CjjdZe3.jpg

Pretty little filter feeder

wfPF6j3.jpg

LmDpOgc.jpg

43JSWeU.jpg

8uh3EDp.jpg

keiGGoT.jpg

wlOGhyt.jpg

I was given a browned out, almost dead frag of strawberry shortcake or raspberry limeade. Don't remember. But it's finally growing polyps and starting to show hints of pink and yellow. Crossing fingers it will have color in a month or so! Posting to compare progress.

TG4SMG4.jpg

• Like 13
Polarcollision

$10 for an Oregon Tort frag? I really hope that it is the real deal!

Me too! I've just settled for cali tort figuring I'd never be able to afford this one. It's fairly common around the PNW, so who knows...

Polarcollision

Wow, some super cool frags you got yourself, I wish we had frag swaps locally, would make things much easier for me haha.

I found a local group to trade with via craigslist, too. Anything like that nearby?

Tank is looking great and the macro shots are superb!

Thanks! I have some before and after pics of the SPS recovering from a chemiclean treatment gone awry that I may post soon. It's really cool watching them come back from the brink.

Really teaming with life now isn't it? :)

getting there. Its so weird going from fully grown in to bare rock and tiny frags again. Did you ever start a tank, or still researching?

Random thought: My fruitloops and Blonde blue eyed B****s look almost the same, just different sizes. Now I'm wondering if they're morphs or if my zoas are funky

Something really cool that I kinda want to keep:

Elysia chlorotica eats algae then becomes a living solar panel

220px-Elysia_chlorotica_%281%29.jpg

• Like 5

I found a local group to trade with via craigslist, too. Anything like that nearby?

I have found a few groups but they are all interstate. After I factor in freight for frags I may as well buy colonies local :).

Polarcollision

I have found a few groups but they are all interstate. After I factor in freight for frags I may as well buy colonies local :).

Sorry to hear the frustration. I've been thinking about the cost of coral, especially the super pricey pieces. I get it. And also how it evolved. A few months ago I bought coral from a local reefer who suggested that many people in the area just trade to increase their collection, no worries about the prices. Kinda made me reconsider the high costs (outside of shipping, which bites every way you cut it). Now I'm totally cool trading with only considering whether I like the coral or not.

Polarcollision

Finally have some head space to think about programming a custom Hydra light schedule. First concern is self: UV radiation from the Edison Opto 400nm UV LEDs. Can't say that I feel 100% safe running the UV LEDs based on data below. Guess the next step is to look into relationship between intensity, damage, and exposure over time.

This table from wikipedia breaks down the wavelengths:

• UV 400 – 100 nm cataracts, pterygium, cornea, lens, retina damage, collagen damage
  • UVA 400 – 315 nm indirect DNA damage (single strand breaks), free radicals/oxidative stress, malignant melanoma, destroys vit A in skin, immunosuppressive, glass is transparent to UVA, visible to birds, insects, and fish, long wave, black light
  • UVB 315 – 280 nm direct DNA damage (double strand breaks, thymine dimers), Vitamin D production, sunburn, skin cancers, destroys vit A in skin medium wave
  • UVC 280 – 100 nm 265nm and 185nm peaks for sterilization short wave, germicidal

This is the light output graph for the UV LED used in AI Hydra lights. Looks like 375nm to 425nm, peaking around 400nm, at the upper end of UVA.
68kOpOW.jpg

Local frag swap today... OMG it feels like Christmas all over again.

wlOGhyt.jpg

WOW! I bet!!!! You scored some amazing pieces :D.

What are the green zoas in this photo called? I love them!!!!

Polarcollision

WOW! I bet!!!! You scored some amazing pieces :D.

What are the green zoas in this photo called? I love them!!!!

Don't remember their name, but I was going to trim a few off that are trying to grow onto the cyphastrea. Want em? I planted em front and center for being one of my favs, too. :-)

• Like 1
Polarcollision

wow.. great pics. FTS is looking killer.. REALLY LOVE that cute little pompom crab, freaking awesome..

It is the first thing I bought when the 8 gallon finished cycling! They are the coolest creature in the tank - more than fish. LOL One night I saw it scooting along the back wall and was sure it was a gonner with a big fish hovering over it. Nope! it jumped and jabbed the pom poms at fishy. Little bad a**! LOL

• Like 2

It is the first thing I bought when the 8 gallon finished cycling! They are the coolest creature in the tank - more than fish. LOL One night I saw it scooting along the back wall and was sure it was a gonner with a big fish hovering over it. Nope! it jumped and jabbed the pom poms at fishy. Little bad a**! LOL

I've been considering one.. I really like bigger crabs (well, bigger than hermits I mean), and my emerald dug into my first clam the first night I had the clam - so he got banished to the sump.. I've been crab-free since (hermits being the exception).. I've heard the pompom crabs are pretty clam/reef/etc safe..

Fabulous pom pictures!!!!!

Don't remember their name, but I was going to trim a few off that are trying to grow onto the cyphastrea. Want em? I planted em front and center for being one of my favs, too. :-)

Oh, yes! If you do, I'll take them. Just let me know :)
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex