Coral Vue Hydros

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

I keep seeing all these leopard wrasses now I want one.

:-) Thank you! Thanks for taking a look and I'm so happy it works for you!

I may be bad at guesstimating fish size... you can see int he pics below that she/he is about the same size as the TSB. She's got plenty of food to pick at and room to dart around so not worried about her yet. But no worries, by the time she grows to full size, we should have everything in place for a tank upgrade. ;-)

They make a cute couple, don't they! So nice of them to pose! Awww. Now there's no shortage of skills to go around. :-) I happen to know from stalking your thread that you're a fantastic reefer and photographer yourself.

Thank you! It's my goal to turn this into a torch/SPS/GSP tank. LOL There's not enough love for GSP. OK, well even my GSP love fades when it tries to cover the returns... :-)

:-) Thanks Mark.

:-) Would you believe those are actually setosa and spongeodes?! They're both almost 3 years of growth with me now. Love, love, love caps, but banned them for fear of shading everything out... so of course the spogeodes does just that. LOL

Thank you Addinali! Happy to have you drop by!

Thanks man! I can't belive it's been so long since updating. I forgot to dose Mg for a few weeks around the same time a dosing pump for Calcium failed so some of the acros are regaining their former glory color-wise, but overall very happy with the amount of neglect the tank can take. :-)

Thank you jstuver! Happy to have you drop by.

:-) Hi nidding! Welcome aboard-- and thank you!

And, for Chris and Zia, here's a few pics of the leopard wrasse. Boy? Girl? Naked squirrel? BTW, it's not actually that teal in real life. Something is up with camera shutter lag lately...

lTQa9G8.jpg

jMWXsn1.jpg

8ADz4rF.jpg

sometimes the shutter and LED flickering synch into a blue/yellow band of color, but this was the only shot in focus of the two together, so... black and white monday!

Eaauaap.jpg

• Like 3

:-) Thank you! Thanks for taking a look and I'm so happy it works for you!

I may be bad at guesstimating fish size... you can see int he pics below that she/he is about the same size as the TSB. She's got plenty of food to pick at and room to dart around so not worried about her yet. But no worries, by the time she grows to full size, we should have everything in place for a tank upgrade. ;-)

And, for Chris and Zia, here's a few pics of the leopard wrasse. Boy? Girl? Naked squirrel? BTW, it's not actually that teal in real life. Something is up with camera shutter lag lately...

lTQa9G8.jpg

jMWXsn1.jpg

8ADz4rF.jpg

sometimes the shutter and LED flickering synch into a blue/yellow band of color, but this was the only shot in focus of the two together, so... black and white monday!

Eaauaap.jpg

Mind as well call that a young male, it is extremely close to being fully transitioned, and for its size may not go through any further noticeable changes for a little while. It does look closer to 2-2.5" Id still recommend an upgrade sooner rather then later, and the fish will reward you with being more active and enjoyable to watch.... I know I know, but hes active and stuff now, but I promise you from experience get it in a 3-4' long tank and you will be like damn he used to just sit there compared to now lol I've had leopards in 3',4' and 6' and there wasn't a huge difference in activity levels between 4 and 6' but 3 to 4' was a very noticeable in their activity levels without a doubt.

Definitely a gorgeous fish, and a beautiful shot as well :)

• Like 2

Love those shots of the leopard wrasse! Such a beautiful fish and you're photography skills always impress me! :) I also really love that newest FTS. The pop of green from the GSP background is stunning! I love how filled in, lush, and vibrant this whole tank looks.

That painting is beautiful. I absolutely love it and am so impressed with your talent. Just wow! I hope you share some of your future work. I'd love to see more!

• Like 1

6.27.15 Full Tank Shot

AMn8DCx.jpg

So beautiful! I love the colors! And your painting is awesome. Congrats on the first place award :)

• Like 2

what a beauty!!!

both tank and fish.

about the fish: is this a m. meleagris?

Sorry but I'm from Germany and I am really struggling to find the things I discover here, because our common names (marekting names) are totally different from the English ones. This is "Leoparden Junker" for exxample.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Whoa. I really need to check my thread more often. Apologies for the delayed replies!

Sweet wrasse! I want one so badly. From the pictures it looks like it is part way through the transition to becoming male.

That seems to be what everyone is saying. It's really cool to watch him ever so slowly turn more and more teal. Turning into a beautiful little guy. At first I was disappointed cause the female coloring is so striking, but he's growing on me. :-)

OOOMMMMGGG! Awesome.

:-)))))

Wow just wow. Great tank.

Thank you mdodso00!

I keep seeing all these leopard wrasses now I want one.

You wont regret it! He's a great little fish!! Read up on the best ways to get them shipped and transported home. They don't adjust quickly to the new environment (my guy is still on a strict sleeping schedule just slightly shifted to his new time zone). Plus they tend to dive into the sand when frightened. If there's no sand in their transport bags, this can end up breaking their mouth. It's how a lot of them don't make it through transport. I even had the shop add sand to the bag for the drive home! :-) Once they're settled in, they seem to be hardy fish.

Mind as well call that a young male, it is extremely close to being fully transitioned, and for its size may not go through any further noticeable changes for a little while. It does look closer to 2-2.5" Id still recommend an upgrade sooner rather then later, and the fish will reward you with being more active and enjoyable to watch.... I know I know, but hes active and stuff now, but I promise you from experience get it in a 3-4' long tank and you will be like damn he used to just sit there compared to now lol I've had leopards in 3',4' and 6' and there wasn't a huge difference in activity levels between 4 and 6' but 3 to 4' was a very noticeable in their activity levels without a doubt.

Definitely a gorgeous fish, and a beautiful shot as well :)

Thanks Chris! He's already in a 3' long tank - plenty of room to swim in bursts. Mostly he likes to look at himself in the glass. Must think he's a pretty boy... or that the reflection is competition. LOL A new tank is in the works. I'm trimming coral left and right and selling off the fastest growing pieces just to keep things manageable. Upgrade probably happen before he grows another inch.

Such a beauty

jMWXsn1.jpg

Thank you MetroKat!

ha! me too.

:-) Get one!

Love those shots of the leopard wrasse! Such a beautiful fish and you're photography skills always impress me! :) I also really love that newest FTS. The pop of green from the GSP background is stunning! I love how filled in, lush, and vibrant this whole tank looks.

That painting is beautiful. I absolutely love it and am so impressed with your talent. Just wow! I hope you share some of your future work. I'd love to see more!

Thank you Felicia! The GSP finally figured out that it has to grow down if it's going to get anywhere so it's getting closer to a complete backdrop now.

I have another couple pieces in the works, but they're not ocean related... Although I did volunteer as a beach naturalist this summer and saw some pretty sweet creatures in the eel grass that is inspiring. We had a bunch of Taylors sea hares this year. Also a ton of flat fish.

So beautiful! I love the colors! And your painting is awesome. Congrats on the first place award :)

Thanks Tiny! :flower:

what a beauty!!!

both tank and fish.

about the fish: is this a m. meleagris?

Sorry but I'm from Germany and I am really struggling to find the things I discover here, because our common names (marekting names) are totally different from the English ones. This is "Leoparden Junker" for exxample.

Yes, that is the one. I had my eyes out for the blue star leopard/m. bipartitus (below) but this one showed up at the LFS first.

p-80748-blue-star.jpg

Well I have some sad news about the tank, and I knew coming to nano-reef would cheer me back up. Tonight I noticed the female clown frantically brushing against her zoa garden with no sign of her partner. I found him in the sand already becoming a meal for snails. I don't get it. He seemed normal when I fed the tank earlier tonight. I'm pretty heartbroken, both for the loss and also watching the female clown obviously distressed over the loss. This is my first long-term fish loss in 3 years. I have no idea how I'm going to break it to Tim. It was his fish.

RIP Siddhartha

3FOs3nl.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry about the clown.

I hope leopard (!) is fine and we will see more beautiful pics in the future.

And thanks for clarifying the fish type, but I figured the 12G tank I will get is way to small for it.

So I come by here regularly.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

O that is terribly sad, I am very sorry. I think it is the toughest when you have your fish a long time.

Part of me thinks it's silly to be upset over a fish--I eat them for dinner after all. But it's life was in my hands and it kinda makes me feel like I could have done better by it.

Sorry about the clown. :(

Thanks Mark.

Sorry about the clown.

I hope leopard (!) is fine and we will see more beautiful pics in the future.

And thanks for clarifying the fish type, but I figured the 12G tank I will get is way to small for it.

So I come by here regularly.

Yes! Leopard is just fine. And the female clown seems to be less frantic today. Probably right about the 12 gallon being too small. Chris thinks my 3' is too small for it long term. Thanks for dropping by - sorry I don't update more often. :-)

So sorry about Siddhartha :grouphug:

Thanks Gena. :-)

I totally agree with you about gsp. How did you encourage it to grow on you back wall?

Superglue--just a little 1" piece about a year ago. The rest is evidence of GSPs ability to thrive anywhere.

Seems like this year NR has seen so many fish losses. Hate to hear.

I had used aptasia-x again a couple hours before I found him. Sure hope he didn't gobble a mouthful...? I don't know... his 'normal' was always pretty lazy and the couple never seemed to spawn any clutches, so maybe the designer clown fish genes just aren't as hardy. Tim still hasn't noticed. Knowing how upset he'll be, I'm considering just getting another black snowflake this weekend...

• Like 2

So sorry to hear about the clown. I don't think its silly at all to be upset over a fish. I know I get pretty bummed out when I lose one. Its easy to get attached to them.

• Like 2
Polarcollision

:( Poor girl clown, I'm so sorry for her distress and your loss.

I would replace the fish yes, for everybody.

Thanks Kat. I'm on the prowl for a black snowflake locally. Surprised --and relieved --that Tim still hasn't noticed. And the female clown seems to be settling down.

Sorry for your clown loss- it's always tough. Are you considering another clown for your girl?

Thank you. :) Yeah, it seems like the best thing to do for the female clown. I've read some research lately about their hormonal systems. They have oxytocin that appears to reinforce bonding--like us. It seems cruel to not give her another chance at love. ;-)

So sorry to hear about the clown. I don't think its silly at all to be upset over a fish. I know I get pretty bummed out when I lose one. Its easy to get attached to them.

You're a sweetie, Felicia. I can always count on you for commiseration. :-)

• Like 3
Polarcollision

Woah sick tank...mygod :o

:rolleyes: Thanks BRN

I love GSP - glad your Nuvo is still going strong!

GSP is great, isn't it?! I've moved a bit of it over to the 8 gallon too. Making a little more room, I sold off 3 birds nests and am looking for homes for the torch and one other birdsnest. They grow too fast for the tiny space!

• Like 1
Polarcollision

How much are you selling your torch for?

I hadn't really thought about it. Usually sell pieces for about 2/3 the average prices, plus shipping. It's about the width of my outstretched hand now (small hands) when fully extended. Stinging every single coral around it. >:/

Polarcollision

IN-TANK BRINE SHRIMP HATCHERY

I'm taking the suggestions to heart about possibly producing these, so plans are removed for the time being. Let me know if you'd like one made custom for your tank.

• Like 4
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex