Coral Vue Hydros

Aquarium Power Strip -- What do you use?

ps2cho

Are there any recommended power strips?

I am looking for one that has each input with an on/off switch. I figure I should have one of those for 4-5 power slots, then a regular surge protected 10 strip one.

That way I can turn on/off return pump, heater etc manually without having to remove the plug completely.

Thanks!

DJ Power strips work really well. You can find them on eBay or Amazon. Most are setup to be mounted on server rack rails, but some can be mounted directly to a stand or just carefully positioned sitting on a shelf or in the stand.

Good to know I will look at them.

What about something like these?

http://www.amazon.com/TLP76MSG-Switched-Outlet-Conserve-Protector/dp/B0068LACFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385415042&sr=8-1&keywords=switched+power+strip

Or will the power conservation deal be an issue?

I think that despite the heavily "greenwashed" item description it's a non-issue. Been using that particular strip on my tank for the last year or so. It doesn't actually DO anything (i.e. no "smart on/off" switching or sensing) power-wise other than let you turn on/off each outlet or all at once with the master.

Probably for the better. I'd hate to worry about a timed/controlled light or heater cycling unintentionally shutting off a powerhead or such.

Only issue I've had is due to absent-mindedness - turning off the filtration pump's outlet for feedings and then forgetting to turn it back on afterwards... but that's not a design fault on Tripp Lite's part. ;)

american dj strips are awesome..

I have a brinks (I think it's brinks) strip with 6 plugs, two of which are on a digital timer which allows you to program to the minute and on a day to day basis (like sunday can have a different schedule than tuesday)..

then I have two normal strips mounted to my stand, one of them has a brinks analog timer for my ATO (but I might move it to the digital timer and run it like 4-5 times during the day for a minute at a time)

I think that despite the heavily "greenwashed" item description it's a non-issue. Been using that particular strip on my tank for the last year or so. It doesn't actually DO anything (i.e. no "smart on/off" switching or sensing) power-wise other than let you turn on/off each outlet or all at once with the master.

Probably for the better. I'd hate to worry about a timed/controlled light or heater cycling unintentionally shutting off a powerhead or such.

Only issue I've had is due to absent-mindedness - turning off the filtration pump's outlet for feedings and then forgetting to turn it back on afterwards... but that's not a design fault on Tripp Lite's part. ;)

Cool. Looks simpler to mount than the rackmount power strips and cheaper. Done!

Cool. Looks simpler to mount than the rackmount power strips and cheaper. Done!

I have this unit myself and not a big fan of the mounting for it. It only has 2 slots at the top of the strip. Nothing on the bottom to hold it down when unplugging. Other than that, it is a really nice unit.

2013-11-25171602_zps540af787.jpg

To me it really doesn't matter. Just as long as you have what ever you use plugged into a good quality GFI outlet it's all good.

I currently have a decent quality power strip with surge protection. And a Digital Aquatic Lite controller with 4 outlets. Looking to add another strip for the controller in the future. All of which is plugged into a GFI outlet. I installed the outlet myself. Fairly simple.

• 2 years later...

i just don't like the reviews on it.. and, replacing switches on something i just bought just doesn't work for me.

there were a couple in the same price range i was looking at as well

Archived