Top Shelf Aquatics

GFO, Phosguard - Iron & Aluminum - No Bueno

orly20

Hello all. My computer is down so I haven't been on, but Metrobrat has been twisting my arm all day to post here. Lol. Firstly, I take offense to said Brat for saying my clams die!!!! I've had my Gigas for 7 years and have always run Seachem Phosguard. My clam problems revolve around excessive water changes and extreme low nutrient levels. But since I have stopped running my skimmers full time my Maximas are doing so much better. I'm so excited!!! FINALLY!! Healthy clams won't flinch whether you run GFO or aluminum. The only thing aluminum appears to irritate is many species of soft corals, especially leathers. Sprung agrees with this. What we do need to know is that most aluminum based phosphate removers are ceramic style flakes, and will dump nearly everything they have removed after about 36 hours. Kent phosphate sponge is the worst and even the label admits it. All others I know of are just as bad except Seachem phosguard. This is pretty much the only white remover that does not self destruct apon saturation. So btw Metrobrat, my blue Squamosa is 8 months, and my deresa is over a year and my Maximas look like flying carpets. That was a lot for a phone post.

You posted! :wub:

Now you're going to make me post about the clams (x100) that didn't make it eh? :haha:

That's what happens when you invoke the kat.

I run two separate IM reactors, currently running Phosguard and MatrixCarbon separate. I have also run Fuana Marin 0.04.

My derasa has been with me 6 months and is showing about 1/4" of new growth.

I did loose a black and white maxima, it was a baby (3/4") and was a rescue from the LFS. I know I lighten maybe even suspended GFO when I first brough home the maxima. I had high hopes and low expectations...lasted till I was out of town.

I don't know if mixing in the reactor helps or doesn't. I picked up a liter of Matrix and a liter of Phosguard so I can run either or make my own homemade SeaGel depending on test results.

I seem to remember Kat losing a clam about a year ago??? Not willing to fess up to that, Kat?

I'll throw in my $.02 here. While I have nowhere near the experience with clams as some who have posted here, I have some.

I use GFO in a heavily stocked 43 gallon at the office. I keep it heavily stocked specifically because it's in a public office. People seem to find lightly stocked reef tanks boring. I've had 2 blue squamossa clams in this tank for about 13 months now. I run GFO in a reactor and change it weekly. I never run a lot, rather, just enough to keep the phosphates at .02, or lower. I'm sure I could change it bi weekly and see the same results, but I'd rather not risk having the GFO clump up.

It is known that pinched mantle, or more specifically, Perkinsus olseni, utilizes iron. However, I have been unable to find any direct evidence of GFO "flaring" (for lack of a better word) Pinched Mantle. From my understanding, GFO raises iron levels in water in a ferric form. While I can't find any documents any more, it was believed PM didn't utilize iron in a ferric form. Regardless, it would be perfectly understandable why most would rather not use GFO. My personal belief is, if I don't have PM in my system, I'll just use GFO and not risk adding another clam.

All that being said, I have never used GFO in any other system with a clam in it. Then again, I have never used any other form of chemical filtration specifically for phosphates in any other system with a clam in it. So, I can't really say much about any of those products. My thought on the matter is aluminum is far more toxic than iron. Granted, the aluminum used in those products is probably perfectly safe. It probably doesn't leach out in a form, or possibly a concentration high enough to harm anything. I'd just rather not risk all my livestock.

Paranoid? You bet. Without reason? Possibly... Even probably. I just stick with what I know.

Paranoid? You bet. Without reason? Possibly... Even probably. I just stick with what I know.

I like it!

I guess I feel the same way, that's why I'm asking so many questions.

I just got in my used Nextreef MR1 Shorty and I will try to run a small amount of Phosguard with Matrix carbon stacked on top. I will keep a close eye on the clam and my Tyree toadstool leather.

DSC01721.jpg?t=1385579260

I seem to remember Kat losing a clam about a year ago??? Not willing to fess up to that, Kat?

None of the clams that died had pinched mantle or a reaction to GFO. They starved and I had PC lights at the time.

Lily was gaping from the first day she was shipped and perished in less than a week. I had 2 baby Maxima's, one that lived for 2 weeks and through hurricane sandy at the LFS only to die a month later in my tank. (Another baby maxima bought from the same source at the same time for Zeph also died in his tank and he runs phosguard, actually he may not have been running any phosphate removed at the time, I can't be sure.)

I bought an ultra turquoise baby maxima that died under my PCs a couple of months later. Swore off clams till Zeph sent me a present 6 months ago. My tank now has high PAR, I feed Phyto and I also have high DOC, nitrates and phosphates.

While I do not know for a fact what has kept my clam alive, I am lucky to not have to deal with the sheer volume of death that Zeph has experienced. And he has never used GFO to my knowledge.

'Old Wisdom' is that photosynthetic clams like some nitrates in the water. Mine survived, but never did really well under PC lighting. They probably made it due to enough nutrients to somewhat make up for the less than optimal lighting.

None of the clams that died had pinched mantle or a reaction to GFO. They starved and I had PC lights at the time. Lily was gaping from the first day she was shipped and perished in less than a week. I had 2 baby Maxima's, one that lived for 2 weeks and through hurricane sandy at the LFS only to die a month later in my tank. (Another baby maxima bought from the same source at the same time for Zeph also died in his tank and he runs phosguard, actually he may not have been running any phosphate removed at the time, I can't be sure.) I bought an ultra turquoise baby maxima that died under my PCs a couple of months later. Swore off clams till Zeph sent me a present 6 months ago. My tank now has high PAR, I feed Phyto and I also have high DOC, nitrates and phosphates. While I do not know for a fact what has kept my clam alive, I am lucky to not have to deal with the sheer volume of death that Zeph has experienced. And he has never used GFO to my knowledge.

I was just giving you a hard time. I honestly only remember one clam. But hey, I rarely venture outside the lounge.

I would NOT use phosguard in a reactor if it tumbles at all. I rinse it Thoroughly in RODI 3 or 4 times. Then I put it in a media tray or a filter device like a Tunze 3163. Just tussle the bag in used tank water RODI with your water change so that the media is evenly exposed.

I had these clams for several months, I also have A LOT of LPS, none of them care about alumina. I do not have leathers in this system though.

6T7q6hi.jpg

orK1Zoy.jpg

Archived