ReefCleaners.org

skyscraper's PicO III (Picture dump 4/13 and top down shots 4/14)

skyscraper2290

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
skyscraper2290

So still waiting on my light but I did decide to bust out the hammer and chisel and start working on a new scape piece for the right side of the tank, the purple real reef rocks. After looking at it the past couple months I decided I wasn't a huge fan of it and I think I'm gonna pull it out and replace it with this....

newrock3_zpsb9acc055.jpg

newrock_zpsdae320dd.jpg

newrock2_zps438b3dce.jpg

Feels like it is a bit more interesting and unique and also has some good edges around the rock to allow a shrimp goby to burrow under it without the rock crushing it as the main part of the rock will still be on the bottom of the tank.

And I just wanted to throw this picture up from New Year's Eve, thought it turned out pretty cool.

• 1 month later...
skyscraper2290

So this is definitely due an update, albeit a small one, I have had my nanobox duo over the tank for about a week now and I am just waiting for a diatom bloom. Who would have ever thought of hoping for algae. But when it happens it signals that I can finally add a CUC. It has been a long time coming but I am finally getting close to getting life in my tank and I am getting really excited about it. Hopefully shortly after I get a CUC in the tank I can finally get a yasha goby along with a pistol shirt, who will hopefully pair up because I have found finding a pair already bonded is pretty difficult, and along with a few beginner corals. Most likely they will be zoa's and I would really love to get a frogspawn or a hammer coral as well.

skyscraper2290

Ya it definitely is, I will get some new shots now that I have light over the tank on my next days off. Hopefully I can do you proud with some decent photo skills haha. Any tips or settings you wanna share when shooting with the nanobox?

Ya it definitely is, I will get some new shots now that I have light over the tank on my next days off. Hopefully I can do you proud with some decent photo skills haha. Any tips or settings you wanna share when shooting with the nanobox?

• turn off pumps
  • shoot perpendicular to glass (just point straight at glass)
  • custom white balance (or use shade / cloudy if you dont want to set custom right now)
  • tripod or steady hands
skyscraper2290
skyscraper2290

good stuff man

Thanks, I appreciate it! I just took a look at your build thread and I must say it is very drool worthy, very sexy tank and sump.

skyscraper2290

Also I was wondering if anyone had any input regarding my first fish, I really would like to do yasha goby with a pistol shrimp, but I'm hesitant because it would be my first sw fish ever and the pair is a bit pricey. I also have read it is recommended to put the most peaceful fish in first which is one reason I wanted to start with that pair. So I was hoping someone could point me in a good direction for not just a beginner friendly fish, but also a peaceful one, and hopefully active, that would be ok adding before the yasha and pistol pair.

My first fish was a High Fin Goby and Randall Pistol Shrimp. It was less than $35 with tax and everything at my LFS. I called and told them what I wanted and they went ahead and paired them together in a specimen cup so when u got them they were already buddies...

The only thing is that they are both pretty timid (hence the reason you should put them in first) and they Hide a lot which sucks for your first fish...

skyscraper2290

Ya I have checked out that one as well, I'm finding it hard to move away from the yasha though. I was thinking of maybe starting with a royal gramma basslet or a yellowstriped cardinal fish but I have to do some more research. Also I could definitely see a pygmy wrasse in the tank as well but once again it is a bit pricey.

One of the biggest issues I have is that essentially everything I get has to come from an online vendor as the closest sw fish store is 90 miles away and I only know of one other reefer in my area, still 35 miles away.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+21+53&pcatid=53

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+26+1431&pcatid=1431

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+3041&pcatid=3041

• 2 weeks later...
skyscraper2290

So would really appreciate some feedback, tested my water params today since I put my light over the tank and was really surprised to see my ammonia between .2 and .4, Red Sea test kit, even though I haven't dosed ammonia in a couple weeks. Pretty concerned about it. I was thinking I should just do a significant WC but not really sure if it is just caused from die off of the BB. I don't have anything in the tank besides marco rocks. I was hoping i would have seen a significant algae bloom (diatom) since I put the light over the tank but it still hasn't happened. Should I just wait for the ammonia to get processed or something else? Would really appreciate some help.

How long has it been since you put the light over the tank? My tank was complety cycled and I put the light over it and it took over a month before I saw any signs of algae.

skyscraper2290

When did you put your light over the tank? It has been about 3 weeks now and I really have seen very minimal change in my tank. I would love to add a CUC but I know I don't have what it takes to keep one alive at this point. I guess the main point of this post is that I am getting a bit antsy. With that being said I would have expected to get to the point of a CUC by now.

• 1 month later...
skyscraper2290

Well sure haven't been on here in a while. Finally got a very small amount of life in my tank. Just a couple snails for film algae and two small hermit crabs, I also ordered a cleanup crew off of reefcleaners now that i know they will live. I am gonna hold off on fish and corals for a bit longer because I am going to be moving into a new house most likely at the beginning of May and we are finally getting some better weather so i will feel better about shipping livestock. In the mean time do you guys think i should be adding in any type of food for the CUC while I wait to get some livestock?

skyscraper2290
skyscraper2290

Very pretty rock nem!

Ya it looked really neat, i just hope that is what I actually receive.

I love the green clown goby.

Me too, seems like a great first fish too.

Cant wait to see everything. Shoot over a new FTS when you have everything finished.

-Dave

Definitely will Dave

I want one of these! So awesome looking.

Ya rics might be my favorite type of corals

Archived