Pod Your Reef

skyscraper's PicO III (Picture dump 4/13 and top down shots 4/14)

skyscraper2290

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you going to add ammonia or do the shrimp thing since you levels are staying pretty close to the same?

I dosed ammonia and Dr. Tim's in mine earlier this week, so hopefully I will start to see my ammonia go down here in the next few days...

skyscraper2290

I'm not planning on dosing anything, I was cycling the rocks for about 7 weeks prior to getting the tank and I have seen a definite peak of ammonia and it is almost 0 now. I'm hoping to start seeing some diatoms soon and then will get my CUC ordered.

skyscraper2290

Day 13

Ammonia - 0-.2

Nitrite - .1-.2

Nitrate - ~20

I am also starting to see what looks like a film algae on my glass, it is pretty clear but you can see it moving up from the bottom of the tank to the top. I am assuming this is all part of NTS and will take it is a good sign.

skyscraper2290

Day 14

Ammonia - seems really close to 0

Nitrite - .05-.1

Nitrate - 5-10??????

So it seems that my nitrates are going down as well, which I find to be weird. I haven't done a WC yet so I know I haven't exported any nutrients that way. My only thought is that possibly the film algae that I see growing is using all the nitrates, but I'm not positive on this. If anyone had any thoughts I would love to hear them. Also the film algae is the only kind that has shown up so far, no diatoms or anything else.

Does anyone think I should throw a raw shrimp piece in there for a bit? Maybe help establish more bacteria and wait a few more weeks.

skyscraper2290

Is the ammonia just the household stuff that you can use? Or does it have to be the stuff specifically made for SW tanks?

Is the ammonia just the household stuff that you can use? Or does it have to be the stuff specifically made for SW tanks?

There are some household ammonia that you cannot use. Best thing to do is use the "shake test" and if you see bubbles then you cannot use it OR just use the Ace Hardware kind that everyone recommends.

skyscraper2290

There are some household ammonia that you cannot use. Best thing to do is use the "shake test" and if you see bubbles then you cannot use it OR just use the Ace Hardware kind that everyone recommends.

Thanks, I'll go and pick some up today or tomorrow from Ace and see how the tank reacts to adding some ammonia.

skyscraper2290

So I dosed some ammonia that I got from Ace Hardware, added 2 mL to the tank and it has raised the ammonia level to right around 2ppm, hard to tell as the Red Sea test kit only goes to 2. I will test it again tomorrow as I have been and see how far the ammonia has dropped. If it goes down to 0 I will probably get ready to order my CUC.

So I dosed some ammonia that I got from Ace Hardware, added 2 mL to the tank and it has raised the ammonia level to right around 2ppm, hard to tell as the Red Sea test kit only goes to 2. I will test it again tomorrow as I have been and see how far the ammonia has dropped. If it goes down to 0 I will probably get ready to order my CUC.

Check out my thread (in my sig), I am going through the same thing right now...

skyscraper2290

Check out my thread (in my sig), I am going through the same thing right now...

Well I have already had an ammonia spike, I was just kinda perplexed by the nitrates dropping which the usual way to export them is a WC.

skyscraper2290

I was mostly talking about the issue with the Red Sea Test kit and Ammonia levels...

O ya.... it's kinda surprising they didn't make their test able to test higher levels, but o well.

skyscraper2290

So after dosing 2mL of ammonia about 50 hours ago, my levels were probably between 3 and 4 ppm, it is now down to about 1.2 ppm. I also turned the heat up a bit, 81 right now, on the tank to help the bacteria grow.

skyscraper2290

I think I read somewhere that when the tank is able to process 3 ppm of Ammonia in 24 hours then you are ready for fish... Just FYI...

Thanks for the info!

That is one awesome little tank! And that light is a perfect match. I'll be following this one for sure.

Thanks! I believe I will be getting the duo by the end of the week and I can't wait to finally get it over the tank.

skyscraper2290

So after about 4 days my ammonia levels are down to between .2-.4, I am going to dose more ammonia to get the tank up to about 3 ppm and continue until the ammonia is being consumed within 24 hours.

• 3 weeks later...
skyscraper2290

Really not too much to update. Still waiting on my light, hopefully it will be here by the end if the week. I got a shipping notification from Dave last Friday. I also got a few goodies for Christmas, including a CAD lights pls-50 skimmer, unfortunately I received the package today and they accidentally sent me the nano media reactor instead.

I have basically been continuing to dose ammonia through this whole time to keep the BB population up. Getting close to being able to process 3ppm ammonia within 24 hours. However, without a light I have basically been doing a lightless cycle and besides some clear film algae on the glass I haven't gotten a diatom bloom. So once I get the light over the tank hopefully I will start to get some kind of bloom and then I will add a CUC to the mix.

So far for stocking I am planning on doing a yasha/shrimp pair for the first inhabitants besides the CUC and think I might order them this next week and get them in the QT tank. Still doing some researching on QT'ing but have seen that people will treat fish whether there are visible signs of disease or not.

Really not too much to update. Still waiting on my light, hopefully it will be here by the end if the week. I got a shipping notification from Dave last Friday. I also got a few goodies for Christmas, including a CAD lights pls-50 skimmer, unfortunately I received the package today and they accidentally sent me the nano media reactor instead.

I have basically been continuing to dose ammonia through this whole time to keep the BB population up. Getting close to being able to process 3ppm ammonia within 24 hours. However, without a light I have basically been doing a lightless cycle and besides some clear film algae on the glass I haven't gotten a diatom bloom. So once I get the light over the tank hopefully I will start to get some kind of bloom and then I will add a CUC to the mix.

So far for stocking I am planning on doing a yasha/shrimp pair for the first inhabitants besides the CUC and think I might order them this next week and get them in the QT tank. Still doing some researching on QT'ing but have seen that people will treat fish whether there are visible signs of disease or not.

I am pretty much at the same place at you. I am waiting on my NanoBox light and in the mean time I just keep dosing ammonia. I am pretty close to the 3ppm in 24 hours. I have not had any sort of algae bloom at all either and as soon as I get the light mounted up I will be looking at a CUC (honestly I kind of hope I never have the bloom).

I am going to do a Yasha/Shrimp pair as well, but none of my LFS have any. Is there any decent place online that sales them paired up?

Also, post up a picture of the PLS-50 in the tank once you get it back.

Archived