Top Shelf Aquatics

Day3 on T5 -> LED and Crocea is not fully extending

g6gang

So I switched from Aquatic Life T5 HO to the new Orbit Marine LED (which btw is awesome). My Crocea has decided to not fully extend (Day 3). I know the Orbit is less power and thus moved the clam up to the middle instead of the bottom of the tank. My question is, do I run my LED at full power or should I continue to use the 'acclimation' modes. In other words do you think he is already complaining of not enough PAR or just adjusting. I had it on the lower acclimation mode 7HR lights @ 60% for first two days. He did not look unhappy for first two days at that setting.

Orbit Marine modes:

M1: 10h full intensity

M2: 7hr low/medium intensity (60%)

M3 12 hr full intensity

M4: 7 hour medium/high intensity (80%)

That light is also advertised as a low par "supplemental" light so it may not be enough for a clam.

I see you have a 30 gallon tank, so according to the Current USA site you're probably getting somewhere from 20-50 par on the sand bed which is far less than what a clam needs.

Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.jpg

@Chew_Magna - thanks for graphic I did not see that before. Sadly I woke up this morning and the clam was dead, almost completely shriveled up. I knew the light was low par, but I thought moving him up from sand bed would be ok. Another leason learned in this hobby. I will think positive and enjoy my new light and now stock my tank accordingly.

Dang that stinks. It does look like a really neat light, but pretty much for a softie only tank. Looks like it loses the majority of it's par just a couple inches below the water line. :( They probably kept it low powered to save on costs due to it's features.

• 1 month later...

Do you still like the light? I just got one today but my tank is a 12" cube so I should get better par readings because my tank is only 12" deep. If I keep it in M1 mode can I change when the light comes on. In the instructions it says in M1 the light is programmed to come on at 8AM. Can this be changed but still use the program M1?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived