Update11-24-5_zpsf0667587.jpg

Current Stocking:

scroll coral

monti cap

Acan lord

Zoas

Ball sponge

Ricordea

11/9/14: Tank is progressing will unveil when ready.

11/11/14: Cadlights 8g starphire rimless AIO ordered and Nanobox mini Tide ordered :)

11/17/14: Tank showed up early today so it got inspected and is being water tested today. The display area is actually a bit smaller than I imagined, but the filtration is a nice size.

11/24/14: Tank is wet, starting to cycle. Running phosphate absorder to pull any that is leaching from the rocks/sand.

4/6/15: The tanks seems to be settled and through its initial algae phases.

The rock is clear of algae and coralline is starting to speckle the rock work. Time to start seriously stocking the tank now.

Ophelia

Alveron

Calcifer

I have good news and I have bad news. What first?

Bad News:

• My mp10 was destroyed by a cerith snail. It got inside the impeller caging and effectively tore off both wings of the impeller. So my tank has been left without flow virtually all day until I just discovered it. Needless to say nothing looks happy.

• On top of that my Red Digi and X-factor capricornis have started to recede probably due to the complete lack of flow and chemiclean treatment. Oh yeah and one of those damned snails moved the acan frags too close and they had their mouth tentacles all over each other. Needless to say they are not looking so hot right now either.

• Oh yeah and now the water is clouding up for some reason? WHY!?!?!?!?!?!

Good news:

• I got the 40B drilled and painted black, I also got the stand finished with the exception of painting it and skinning it.

• ....I have nothing else. Today pretty much sucked.

yeah I've had to have my mp10 wet side replaced twice because of my trochus snails wedging their shell in there and beating the thing to death. My tank is small enough to where the return flow was enough to keep everything alive until I grabbed another from the lfs... oddly enough my crappy lfs keeps tons of these in stock, I bet they sell like crazy.

After all that craziness that happened last night I've discovered that the macro went holocarpic. I didn't realize it until I saw the zoas and ricordea behaving weird then I checked on the caluerpa in the back of the tank and surely enough it was dissolved into a transparent shell of what it used to be.

I threw my salt mixing powerhead into the tank but it isn't necessarily ideal. It is working for now and the montis have stopped receding but it is throwing the sand in the front where the flow is hitting.

My tank is small enough to where the return flow was enough to keep everything alive until I grabbed another from the lfs...

I only had my HOB filter with some carbon in it but it wasn't putting out any significant amount of flow. I'm just happy I noticed it before I went to bed otherwise I wouldn't be waking up to such a nice scene.

oddly enough my crappy lfs keeps tons of these in stock, I bet they sell like crazy.

I'll have to double check my LFS I doubt that they have any though.

• 11 months later...

Finally updating this thread almost a year later. The fuge idea kind of fell through so instead I'm setting up a counter top tank. I had to get approval just for it to be in the living room so it's going to be a sharp and clean build, pretty simple as well. That being said Rehype is giving me some strong inspiration in this build notably from his Caribbean setups although I only mean from an aesthetic standpoint.

I've emailed Dave to create a sweet nanobox fixture for this tank but we'll see what happens.

Don't worry Kat I still have the 40B and that other nasty fuge, but this tank is my true passion project.

Im thinking a cadlights 8g starphire rimless. Sounds good right?

Oh yeah and I'm shooting for a totm quality tank with this one :)

Lawn is sending me a surprise package with "some" zoas. So I'll upload a bunch of zoa pics of the new ones and every one of my current collection.

My current collection of zoa frags minus a few pieces.

update11-11-14-13_zps79dcbc05.jpg

I like how you think. Show me those purdy zoas again.

These are for you Kat :flower:. Just shoot me a pm when the new tank is ready

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/Letter21_zps54612816.jpg.html]Letter21_zps54612816.jpg[/url]

The tank is shipped. I'll probably get it by next Tuesday or this Friday at best.

I've also ordered my nano box from Dave after a few emails. I can't wait to get it.

Really frustrating when FedEx and USPS don't update your tracking information. My tank has been in the "arrived at FedEx location" since Tuesday morning :(

Lawns package of zoas says departed post office so hopefully it arrives in Longwood by tonight and then goes out for delivery tomorrow morning.

• 2 weeks later...

The new black torch. It has a dark purple almost black base that fades into green with a hint of orange throughout the flesh. Really pretty :wub:

Update11-24-4_zps2f4fd415.jpg

My first lobo. Its a rehab one but it was too gorgeous to pass up. It is a red-orange color around the edge and a bright orange in the midle with a hint of yellow and green in some spots. It is already eating and looking good fingerscrossed Look at how much more vivid it is than the scoly!

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/Update11-24-3_zpsddbfc0d8.jpg.html'>Update11-24-3_zpsddbfc0d8.jpg

And finally my frag rack after lawns zoas have been added.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jamesb2012/media/Update11-24-1_zpse915a15f.jpg.html'>Update11-24-1_zpse915a15f.jpg

I think the zoas that will go into the tank are the fruit loops, orange mauls, rastas, blue tubbs, and agave as well as a pairing of two unnamed purple green ones.

I'll have to figure out what trio of acro that I want. Hopefully 1 pink, 1 orange/yellow and 1 blue/purple.

Maybe magenta birdsnest, tricolor valida and setosa.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep there is to be one soon. I got the tank in a somewhat presentable fashion but I'm going to hold off on picture updates until things looks better. :) I'll get some teaser pics later on

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a scripps acro, orange leptoseris, meteor shower cyphastrea, green an purple/red polyp montipora and a basic scroll coral.

All are tiny little frags but they'll fill up the tank better when they grow in.

• 2 months later...

I'm still going sps dominant but in the mean time I've picked up 2 rock flowers nems and a new shroom

I moved all the previous corals into the 40 for now with the exception of the acans.

I also made a new rock for this tank as the other scape was too bulky.

• 2 months later...
HarryPotter

I'm still going sps dominant but in the mean time I've picked up 2 rock flowers nems and a new shroom

I moved all the previous corals into the 40 for now with the exception of the acans.

I also made a new rock for this tank as the other scape was too bulky.

Update?

Is the 8g still going or is it now the 40b?

Update?

Is the 8g still going or is it now the 40b?

Still going. Although there's nothing really happening with it. I've been putting off stocking it too much. There isnt any coral at the moment.

It's gone bare bottom now and I rescaped to make it more sps friendly.

I'm going to replace my mp10 before I really start to fill it up.

Archived