Pod Your Reef

Clam and 72 hour blackout?

Tamberav

Will a Maxima be okay with a 72 hour blackout? Want to nip some dino in the butt. I read it is fine but I'm a bit paranoid. I could move it to the fuge (for some reason dino won't grow there) but figured that may cause more stress than a blackout.

you're fine, took my light down for some upgrades last Friday night and didnt put it back on the tank till Wednesday night and my clam was still alive.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure there are 2-3 day periods where there is little to no sun on the reef and they survive. Any longer I would make sure you are giving some phyto.

Glad it was dynos and not algae. Bryopsis killed my clam by growing all over the flutes, and I couldn't get it off without stressing the clam, and the algae irritated the mantle so it wouldn't open the day after I'd just cleaned it.

Glad it was dynos and not algae. Bryopsis killed my clam by growing all over the flutes, and I couldn't get it off without stressing the clam, and the algae irritated the mantle so it wouldn't open the day after I'd just cleaned it.

That sucks! I hate dino though.. its so evil to try and get rid of. Bryopsis I would just toss in some lettuce nudibranches.

So far it hasn't showed up at all in the 29g hex since the blackout but some survived in the 40B. It doesn't seem to take hold very well though, its there but it grows soooo slow. *crosses fingers* I will prob do a 2nd blackout in the 40B... I don't think I blacked it out very well tbh... thin towels vs thick blankets over the 29g hex.

Dino suckssss.. it gets on your zoa's and melts them. I lost like 15 polyps of bam bam's. :( That is better than losing a clam though.

Lettuce slug was exactly how I got rid of it. My problem was GHA took over as fast as the bryopsis was eliminated, and nothing could eat that stuff as fast as it's growing.

Lettuce slug was exactly how I got rid of it. My problem was GHA took over as fast as the bryopsis was eliminated, and nothing could eat that stuff as fast as it's growing.

Mexican turbo's!

Did you get it under control?

Nope, and I had two golfball-sized turbos in there, one of which died while attached to the glass.

:(

I've got phosphates leaching in somewhere, possibly from a bad batch of Reef Crystals, otherwise I can't identify the source(s). I'm using RODI, and I start to get testable phosphates in the RODI bucket after 24 hours before I even add salt, and it goes up again after mixing my saltwater, and then finally after a W/C it goes down as the GHA devours it.

I've actually been spacing out my water changes a lot more as a result. Everything in the tank is doing fine as long as I keep the GHA from shadowing the corals. I'm just trying to keep the fish and inverts alive until I get the new build cycled. Even then, the corals are not making the move, nor the CUC when I break down the Cube.

To be on the safe side, I'm going to run each fish through QT for a week to make sure I don't bring over anything. No magnesium resistant bryopsis spores, no GHA particles, no GBA spores, nothing.

Clams will be fine. Importing thses clams ( even cultured ones) takes 3 days by the time they make it to the states. But I wouldnt make a habit out of it.

Archived