Coral Vue Hydros

my 1/2 gallon mason jar reef

new-b-reefer

For thos of you who remember my micro self contaned reef jar. Here is something similar, started it on 11/02/2013 and finally got around to posting it. It is my reef jar in a half gallon mason jar from michaels. Started it as a complilation of my reef jar with inspiration of something i saw here http://homemadeocean.com/2013/06/diy-mason-jar-aquarium/

And inspiration from the pj reef. I stated it with an air stone originally but the loud started to leave rust deposits on the top part of the glass from the bubbling, also i ditched the air stone and decided to run it pjreef style. Used mostly things i had lying around other than the jar. Here are some build pics

20131102_194618_zps8c35eb3c.jpg20131102_194811_zps64c1ed48.jpg20131103_211205_zps69a73184.jpg20131103_211213_zps2e7167e5.jpg20131103_211228_zpsd7eb18d6.jpg

Its been going for 2 weeks, 1 without the air stone and doing betty well. I just used frags from my 55 gallon, (pallys, taro tree, and a rock with some unknown macro growing on it for some O2 production. Things are doing very well. Have seen mini starts, pods, and micro brittles. I will keep pics up on the progress. When i had done my mini reef jar, some suggested a light so this is basically the same at a larger scale with a light. The pjreef beat me to it (kudos to your well designed product) but I figured I would try out my own. :)

Most of the viewing is distorted due to the type of jar but there are some good viewing spot that i will add pics of soon. Besides, it gives it character. It is currently residing in a cubby in my stand for my 10 gallon planted tank.

it looks awesome but i notice in the states we do not have any good clear jars available. in Europe - where i lived a long time ago all the jars (1 liter, 2 liters, 3 liters) are all smooth glass, no decorations in the glass and visibility would be so much better. i just find it very upsetting that we get all the crud jars and Europe actually out-does us with jars if that makes any sense xD

cool project!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How's this think going I've debated starting one of these

It is still going, the other day I almost tore it down, some of the pallys were bleaching and getting hair algae, when I looked in it though, there are mini stars and micro brittles cruizing everywhere, did a large water change and cleaned the glass. Think I need to use a different light, maybe a little stronger and put in some new rock. I would like to try some sort of snail to help with the algae. So still a work in progress but there is indeed life thriving :)

yikes get a better light. 3 watts should be good but more is good too. how much is the current light?

also if you do peroxide, take out the rock and spot treat with syringe after tearing as much off as you can. that will kill it. keep doing that like brandon said and it should be eliminated.

try some shrooms?

new-b-reefer

I do uave 1 shroom in there, that is doing ok. Hard to get pics of things with annd the logos in the jar glass lol

I've always thought these little jar reefs were absolutely awesome !!! I'm going to have to follow this one.

If you're looking for a new light,I just saw ReefRadiance has a "Refugium" par bulb that's 3w and has 2x1w royal blues and 1x1w white leds.

Also,so the light can penetrate into the jar,couldn't you get a piece of thicker acrylic at home depot and cut a perfect circle piece to fit inside the lid and silicone inside the lid to create a air tight seal ? Granted you probably would get some condensation on the acrylic.

• 3 weeks later...
new-b-reefer

Yes I can. I need to re visit the light idea for sure. I will have to check out that reef radiance one. Think I want some different rock in it also as the current bits are just random pieces from my 55 gallon. Need something that displays better.

• 1 month later...

Archived