Innovative Marine Aquariums

GQLMAO'S SPS Tank Zoa Update November 2015

gqlmao

Thanks bud! On my local forum, I was getting hassled on getting more gundam pictures. Maybe if I get enough interest I will post them up here as well! :)

Damn, nice tank (and gundamn collection). Your old tank was awesome too - a carpet of acans and rics.

Thanks! Not as crazy like the infamous mangrove forest though :)

thats very nice my friend!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I kicked it back old school. I got myself a dimmable 8x24W ati t-5 fixture with enough bulbs to last me for 4 changes :) The radion wasn't cutting it for me too many issues and little things that bothered me being primarily a SPS tank. The new light should kick it up a notch.

Thanks, He's my favorite!

DAT Wing

I was told by the person who sold it to me, it's a Bella blue. I just searched up that the eye of rah it looks awesome!

The zoas that you haven't id'd yet look like Eye of Ra to me.

Well, I finally had some time to take some more pictures, I am slowly learning... there's still a lot of noise in the pictures. My hands can't hold them camera still when I am taking over head shots, the macro lens is too sensitive and tripods don't work when you need them to :(

Update -Still awaiting the new ATI lights, hopefully the corals will like it a lot better than the Radion, some corals aren't impressed at all...

Ice fire Echinata:

Icefire_zpsd7f4784c.jpg

RR Blue Matrix:

BlueMatrix_zps5d64c9e8.jpg

Deep Water Acro:

Deepwater1_zpsc6b9ba8e.jpg

Green Acro:

Greenacro_zps5148d658.jpg

Greenacro2_zpsc81aeab3.jpg

Captain Tenuis:

Captaintenius_zpsc5e71e1b.jpg

Bam Bams:

Bambam_zps1a5b0bd8.jpg

Rastas:

Rasta_zps55a3cdce.jpg

The male clown:

Clown2_zpsea82b2de.jpg

clown3_zpsba9735a2.jpg

My very special little guy, multicolored angel :) He's the reason why some of my polyps are retracted when the lights are on. Very neat watching him peck around and casually swim about:

Multicolor_zps66cf2549.jpg

Thanks! Hopefully in a year or two the corals should have most of the rock work covered and the rock scape will look like a valley of SPS, thats what I was aiming for with the scape. I am looking forward to your stocking selection more than anything :P

Looking good, you have some amazing corals there. Looking forward to seeing them grow. :naughtydance:

Thanks! Hopefully more will come in the future, gotta let time do its bidding. I love how your tanks still run either t-5s or MHs. I will soon join you in the t-5 band wagon.:)

i don't know how i missed this! amazing tank! :)

Thanks! Hopefully more will come in the future, gotta let time do its bidding. I love how your tanks still run either t-5s or MHs. I will soon join you in the t-5 band wagon. :)

believe it or not, i'm rather new to both :P

but i love the results i'm getting. (once i get new/better halide bulbs i should be good to go)

Thanks man! I still have a long way to go... The tank is barely 3 months old.

Incredible!

Yup, the results speak for themselves. Hopefully I get better coral colouration and even growth once I get rid of this fixture. Once you get the 20k bulbs everything should pop and color up nicely, especially with the amount of wattage you got on the frag tank! Enough to cook with. :)

believe it or not, i'm rather new to both :P

but i love the results i'm getting. (once i get new/better halide bulbs i should be good to go)

Thanks man, your clean ADA tanks make me want to get a little shallow one beside this one right. I got the perfect spot to put in on too. But must resist the temptation... or my wallet will hate me. :(

Wow! Great collection of corals! :bowdown:

I am in the West side of Canada. They have a Reef Raft distributor in Toronto. I have to get them shipped to me across the country. Not the best way to get RR corals especially in Winter :S

RR Matrix? Are you in the Socal area?

A tip on macro shots is to use a tripod and remote as well as a timer, even touching the camera will result in vibrations that will last about a second after backing away from it to fire the shot

For the last shots, I couldn't use them, they were overhead shots from the top of the water. I stuck the camera into a coral viewer and the lens being so heavy it makes my hand shake like crazy. I tried to decrease the shutter speed but its still pretty hard. I am very limited to what I can shoot with the tripod and remote due to the refraction angle and narrow front and long tank length. Thanks for the tip.

A tip on macro shots is to use a tripod and remote as well as a timer, even touching the camera will result in vibrations that will last about a second after backing away from it to fire the shot

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I kicked it back old school. I got myself a dimmable 8x24W ati t-5 fixture with enough bulbs to last me for 4 changes :) The radion wasn't cutting it for me too many issues and little things that bothered me being primarily a SPS tank. The new light should kick it up a notch.

Lots of people are going back to T5s lately. I hope you get the results you are looking for. What issues in particular did you have with the radion?

Archived