Innovative Marine Aquariums

GQLMAO'S SPS Tank Zoa Update November 2015

gqlmao

September 2015 Update:

Its been a while since I last posted... Here are some tank shots. The tank has been up for almost 2 years.

Front%20Shot%202_zps3yu5btbt.jpg

Front%20Shot_zps1akz9zan.jpg

Side%20Shot_zpsj7kkholc.jpg

Lights

Lights_zpsg9pt91oi.jpg

Introduction:

After many years in this hobby, I have finally pulled the trigger and decided to document my current tank and share it with others. Hopefully it can help others who want to walk down a similar path as me. I have always been into small tanks, I use to have a 12x12x15 cube. However I found space to be limiting and being a all in one system it was honestly an eyesore when it comes to equipment hanging off the back. From that moment on I knew I needed to have a clean and efficient set-up where minimal equipment is in the display section. Here is my link to the old tank, I didn't make any effort to keep the thread alive. For you wondering what happened to the all the LPS and softies, I have sold most of them and unfortunately due to ignorance and neglect some withered away. Here's the link: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/290971-gqlmaos-94-cube-new-snowflakes-fragrack/

On to the New Set-up:

I had the tank and sump custom built by a LFS Concept Aquariums, whom had exceeded my expectations with the overall quality and service.The tank was designed so I can hide 2 Vortech MP10 WES in a water free camber with the internal overflow. I decided to run an internal because I wanted it to have that clean 1 piece look with the stand and allow for the tank and stand to sit closer to the wall. Noise was a huge concern for me, the tank is going to be in my room therefore I needed to make sure it was dead quiet. A herbie overflow system is implemented in this tank, this way I am able to dial the overflows so no air gets inside allowing for quiet circulation.

Equipment:

Tank:

-Custom 30x18x14 3/8" starphire glass on all 4 sides

-Bevelled and polished

-6 Inch internal overflow with 3.5"x4" chamber for MP10s

-2x1" Overflows, 1X3/4" Return

Stand:

-Custom 30"Lx18"Wx32"H 1"x1"x.125" HSS steel stand

Sump:

-Custom 26x14x16 glass Sump

-Chamber for heater and overflow pipes

-Chamber for 4" filter sock

-Chamber for skimmer and reactor

-Chamber for return pump

-Chamber for refugium

Flow:

-Currently running 2 MP10WES on 70 percent, long pulse mode with anti-sync

-Might add third MP10 (already have), the way I have it set up really limits the flow.

-Speed wave DC 790GPH return pump

Filtration:

-Super Reef Octopus 1000-int Skimmer

-4" Vertex filter socks

-Approx 20 lbs of life rock + 10 lbs currently cycling in separate bucket

-Cheato

-Two Little Fishies Phosban reactor 150, running HC GFO and ROX Carbon

Lighting:

-ATI 8x24W dimmable sunpower

Other Equipment:

-2x Ehiem Jaeger 100 watt heaters

-Tunze 3155 osmolator auto top off

-600LPH Ehiem pump

-3 Channel Kameor dosing pump

-2 Small computer fans for ventilation

-1500Watt Cyber Power back UPS for return pump and 1 heater

Additives and Dosing:

Being a SPS dominated tank, there's a few things I like to dose.

-Vodka

-KZ Coral Snow

-KZ Coral Vitalizer

-KZ Amino Acids, LPS + SPS

-KZ Pohl's Xtra

-KZ Spong Power

-BRS 2 part

-BRS magnesium mix

Tank Parameters:

Calcium: 450 PPM

Alk: 7.8-8.0 DKH

Mag:1400 PPM

Livestock:

2 Grade B Snowflake Clowns

1 Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Fire Shrimp

Corals:

-Lots of acorpora! To name a few: Tyree Pink Lemonade, RR Blue matrix, Strawberry Short Cake, Red planet, Purple planet, purple monster, sunset milli, pink milli, yellow/brown milli, green milli, bubble gum milli, blue milli, ORA rainbow stylophora, candle light acro, ice fire enchinata, miyagi tort, RR Jumba Juice and lots more! Some acros are quite new to the tank and are still trying to colour up.

Zoas- I lucked out and got some nice small frags, am not as keen on zoa names, but here goes nothing: rasta, god of war, rainbow raptor, candle apples, princess peach,pink wagon wheels, Sunny D, miami vice, green nuclear paly, purple death paly, african hornets, bam bams, Jason Fox tiger lilies, devil paly, rainbow paly, LA lakers, fruit loops, orange oxides, gobstoppers, valentine massacre, orange people eaters, bella bluesand more that I don't know the names of.

Rics- Some blue, green and 1 orange/green.

PICS:

I just got a DSLR with a 100mm macro lens, I'm new to phtography and the learning curve is steep. I will do my best to research and will try to get some better pics and macro shots soon!

Well, I'd be surprised if you guys actually read all that... Here are the first wave of pics:

FarShot_zpsfa80503c.jpg

StandShot_zpsea199b3e.jpg

CloseShot_zps4bcc5d26.jpg

CloseShot3_zps5e177c68.jpg

CloseShot2_zpse2b49bb3.jpg

SideShot_zps0293e14c.jpg

topview_zps7003ef06.jpg

topview2_zpsa4bf9e19.jpg

Zoas_zps6cfce404.jpg

Only the tip of the ice berg, more to come!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments! The light isn't on yet so I can't play with the camera. Heres a couple of pics of the messy sump and some other goodies!

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/gqlmao/media/Reef%20Tank/Messysump_zps1b3a5aa4.jpg.html'>Messysump_zps1b3a5aa4.jpg

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/gqlmao/media/Reef%20Tank/Additives1_zps4ef06dae.jpg.html'>Additives1_zps4ef06dae.jpg

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/gqlmao/media/Reef%20Tank/Additives2_zps2dad83a0.jpg.html'>Additives2_zps2dad83a0.jpg

Look forward to more!

Your MP10 configuration is confusing me. Do you have the dry side in the water? I checked out your other build too and it looks like the motor is in the overflow. Tank looks great!

Your MP10 configuration is confusing me. Do you have the dry side in the water? I checked out your other build too and it looks like the motor is in the overflow. Tank looks great!

From the initial post - gqlmao said :"The tank was designed so I can hide 2 Vortech MP10 WES in a water free camber with the internal overflow."

I have a chamber that is built in the back. its slightly higher than the emergency herbie overflow. Water cannot get in for that reason therefore I am able to put the MP10s the way they are. I will take a picture of it to clear things up. As for the old tank, I wrapped the mp10 dry side in several plastic bags and placed it inside the water. I would never recommend anyone do that due to electrical hazard issues.

From the initial post - gqlmao said :"The tank was designed so I can hide 2 Vortech MP10 WES in a water free camber with the internal overflow."

Heyyyy, thanks for reading that for me!

I have a chamber that is built in the back. its slightly higher than the emergency herbie overflow. Water cannot get in for that reason therefore I am able to put the MP10s the way they are. I will take a picture of it to clear things up. As for the old tank, I wrapped the mp10 dry side in several plastic bags and placed it inside the water. I would never recommend anyone do that due to electrical hazard issues.

I see. Your new idea is MUCH better!

They are such a nice zoa, grows fast, great colors and the best thing of all. They are cheap! Not in much demand here in Canada, everyone wants the designer zoas :S.

That wagon wheel... omgomgomg

Been playing around the with settings some more. The pictures are sharper than the ones I took yesterday but still need works. No editing was done

Candlelight

candle8asshot_zpsa5de628f.jpg

candle10_zps1077c5f6.jpg

Rasta

rasta2_zpsa847e589.jpg

Ive never seen a Rasta look so good! I could say the same for tank man, great stuff going on in here! That scape is rockin. Im usually not a fan of BB tanks, but this one is done right, It's amazing!

Thanks! I have grown to live with BB, its easier to suck up the detritus since it builds up in one spot and I do this every 5 days or so. With the power heads running at 70 percent I can't run sand or it will just be blown around. :S Hopefully in a year or two it will look as inspiring as yours!

Ive never seen a Rasta look so good! I could say the same for tank man, great stuff going on in here! That scape is rockin. Im usually not a fan of BB tanks, but this one is done right, It's amazing!

Archived