Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hermit Irritated Maxima Clam

duncan-junkie

duncan-junkie

Hey guys, I need some advice.....I just aquired a ORA Gold Maxima on Friday, anyway the clam looked fine, mantle fully extended and no signs of gaping. I cought one of my hermits crawling around on the clam, and now part of the mantle wont extend, I think the hermit may have scraped it, or pinched the clam? Is this something to be conserned about, or will the clam recover? So far the clam still extends, just the one part where the crab was running a muck, is now retracted......looks like pinched mantle, but I know its the crabs fault. Will this cause pinched mantle??

Thanks, I would really like to clear this up......Im worried, and Its my 1st clam.....we've all been there :P

Before and after pics, you can tell on the 2nd pic at the top, left of the clam

post-81686-0-25437800-1384315003_thumb.jpg

post-81686-0-35023200-1384315049_thumb.jpg

I have a teal Maxima clam and I've only had it for about two weeks so I can't give you much advice other than to wait. I have a Derasa clam that I have had for about a month and it's super happy on the sand bed. My Maxima clam is on a rock shelf. I'd say maybe give it a day or two and if it doesn't get any better, do more research. I'm sorry I can't give you more advice. I know how it is to post something and get no feedback. Good luck and happy reefing!!!

• 3 weeks later...
duncan-junkie

Well its been a few days, and the clam is doing much better. Hes fully extended and looking happy again!! So far, I think the hermits are just walking around the clam...and not directly on in, THANK GOD!!! But, if I catch another hermit playing "jungle gym" on the clam, he'll be playing "jungle gym" in the toilet!! As for the clam, it does look like the hermit nipped him, I can see a slight imperfection in the clams mantle. Theres a slit where the hermit did his damage, but it seems to be healing up nicely....so all is well.

Archived