inTank Media Baskets

Ps2cho's Barely Nano 60g Shallow Build --> [October FTS Updated]

ps2cho

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I start to see coral growth now that my magnesium is within standard, I will start to add more SPS. I was being cautious for the past few weeks and have not added anything at all...mainly because nothing is growing and the Mg must have been the cause since I know my reefbreeders led is plenty enough.

I am also looking to relocate my ATO container outside the stand. I will then fit a 10g tank (fits perfectly) and use that as my coral acclimation tank. I will grab a PAR38 bulb for the lighting. Since its not connected to the main tank, water quality should be good.

(the honey said no more tanks within visible sight in the house, but approved it within the stand if she cannot see it lol).

In the next couple weeks I will go grab my flame angelfish for the QT and keep her in there for 2-4 weeks depending on observations.

Got my 5g QT set up. I will be using this for all incoming frags. My local LFS has red bugs in all their SPS as I have confirmed today.

I only have a 10w 50/50 bulb in their right now (should keep them alive at min)...but I am going to order a cheap 37w PAR38 bulb from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15w-21w-27w-36w-54w-E27-LED-Coral-Reef-Plant-Grow-Light-PAR38-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-/141199784741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item20e029bb25

Either way I should be able to keep them out of my DT by doing this.

post-80757-0-90298500-1393201177_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My ebay bulb should be arriving this week (I hope).

I am also thinking of adding a dual media reactor /w carbon and gfo based on the brown hair algae growth I am seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while...so here's whats been updated or installed:

Tank is going ok. Had a 8 day vacation and had one sps birdsnest lose tissue. Alk dropped from 9 to 7 over the time period.

I also received my chinese PAR38 LED. Still need to find an appropriate gooseneck for it. It should work great though.

I found a small Kole Tang at a local petco. He has been placed in QT right now. I will take some photos and examine closer in the next day or two after he has some time to transition. Hopefully he makes it :)

I also installed a Spectrapure Dual Media Reactor. I bought some cheap phosguard and marineland premium activated carbon to hold me over til I can order BRS Bulk Carbon + GFO.

I got a pet food container that holds about 3 gallons of top off water for the ATO. Slim and works great as the photo shows. It lasts me about 3-4 days before empty.

post-80757-0-99784600-1395114849_thumb.jpg

Haven't updated in a while...so here's whats been updated or installed:

Tank is going ok. Had a 8 day vacation and had one sps birdsnest lose tissue. Alk dropped from 9 to 7 over the time period.

I also received my chinese PAR38 LED. Still need to find an appropriate gooseneck for it. It should work great though.

I found a small Kole Tang at a local petco. He has been placed in QT right now. I will take some photos and examine closer in the next day or two after he has some time to transition. Hopefully he makes it :)

I also installed a Spectrapure Dual Media Reactor. I bought some cheap phosguard and marineland premium activated carbon to hold me over til I can order BRS Bulk Carbon + GFO.

I got a pet food container that holds about 3 gallons of top off water for the ATO. Slim and works great as the photo shows. It lasts me about 3-4 days before empty.

Looks good.

What type of plastic is that pet food container? I have stored top off water in a bin before and was getting PO4 readings which I think was coming from the plastic. Maybe do a water test in a few days? I now store my ATO water in a glass tank as well, may be an option for you or make a 3 gallon acrylic cube that has similar dimensions as the bin?

Also what is in the glass tank to the right of the image with the HOB filter?

That is the coral QT. Nothing in it right now. I decided to keep it running 24/7 with a heater so I have a ready to go emergency tank if a fish has an issue.

My 29g fish QT does not stay wet unless its being used for a QT (currently has the Kole Tang!)

Updated first post with current FTS...

Will post here too.

I am considering changing the aquascape at the back. The largest rock in the corner is just too close to the surface to be functional. Any thoughts on what I could adjust?

ftsmarch14-2.jpg

ftsmarch14-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Started a B-Ionic dosing regime yesterday rather than the Seachem 2 part since it had no real ease of measurement. It will end up getting used at some point, but more of a backup now and I will be doing B-Ionic going forward.

Doing 5ml of alk and 2.5ml ca per day. Will be adjusting as needed, but so far I think its pretty close to usage.

The Kole Tang looked healthy, no signs of disease at all so I decided to move him into the DT. Much happier now.

Updated FTS for April on front page

I also have a small Red Planet and a random sps frag in QT right now too from the LFS.

B-Ionic dosing on the tank so far seems to be holding at 6ml of alk and 3.5l ca per day.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Pinpoint pH Probe yesterday. I calibrated with 7.0 and 10.00 solution and it seems to be working great.

Tanks pH seems to fluctuating around 7.85 at night and 8.10 during the day. Is this normal?

After my struggles with the SPS corals STN/Bleaching/etc, I think I am going to give the tank some more time to mature then add more frags in the future. I am dead scared of losing what I have now let alone when I have a tank full!!

I am going to concentrate on finishing up the equipment.

Here is what I still need:

2x BRS Dosing pumps

Apex Energy Bar 8 (I want one more so I can plug my skimmer in and the dosing pumps)

2x Dosing containers

Different small frag tank. Considering the 12x12x12 deep blue professional for $70 (link)

Bigger ATO container once I have the small footprint frag tank. Current one only lasts 3 days tops. A bump up in the pet food container should give me closer to 6-7 days.

Should be able to get this wrapped up in a month on my next bonus :)

Also an update on the dosing: After a few weeks it seems to have settled on 7.5ml alk and 3ml ca per day. (this is going to get tiring soon can't wait to get the dosing pumps...)

WOW -- You MUST clean your Jebao pumps monthly!

I just cleaned mine fully using a toothbrush and I gained twice the flow immediately!!

Heres a new video with the Jebao wp25 pump cleaned...such a difference in flow. I'd say it easily doubled the gph.

A few more equipment changes coming!

1) Ordered a second WP-25 /w the new Twin controller.

2) Ordered a 12x12x12 7.5g Deep Blue Professional tank for coral frags. I will be moving my Vortech MP10 onto this tank.

I will now have the ability to increase flow if I want to in the future with this change since the MP10 is simply not powerful enough for the footprint of this tank.

I want to put the two WP-25's in an anti-sync mode, or in periodic intervals to help bring detritus into the overflow box.

The only remaining equipment that I need now:

2x BRS Dosing pumps

2x Dosing containers

Apex Energy Bar 8 (I want one more so I can plug my skimmer in and the dosing pumps)

Larger ATO container (once the new frag tank comes in)

If you're the least bit handy, take a look at this thread for dosing pumps with better dosers: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773806

Thanks!

Doesn't look too difficult to construct. I think what I will do is buy the triple sized box, and for now order 2 pumps. In the future I can add the third for magnesium or carbon dosing.

I am reading that the pumps are the same pumps as the BRS doser uses, and other people say they are better quality. Which is it?

jedimasterben

They are the same pump as the 'Drew's Doser' that BRS sold in the past, which was much higher quality than what they sell now.

ohh ok got it that makes sense now. I will go that route! Next month I'll get those ordered so I'll be able to rid myself of the daily dosing.

Will update soon with the frag tank. I'm going to build a rack made out of some eggcrate. I want to start fragging my electric green zoa's that have completely filled the rock that they are currently on. Gonna watch some youtube videos on how to do this since I know they have the palytoxin's and I want to be safe :)

Couple updates:

1) I got some Sybon 35ppt salinity calibration fluid. My refractometer was showing 1.025 when it was really 1.022. I have now calibrated it and will be adjusting my salinity up to 35ppt over the next couple weeks.

$7.99 on ebay shipped btw.

2) New DIY water change helper

I didn't create this idea -- found it on youtube...but I replicated it and it works REALLY well for water changes. Basically no buckets required! I run the hose outside, start the siphon and drain whatever quantity I want to drain and that's it. Then I plug my Maxijet 1200 into the other end and let it fill back up. I might get a mag7 to help speed this up as the MJ is pretty slow with the extra hose to push through. It does the job for now though.

Cost about $20...$18 for the 10ft 1"ID hose and $2 for the 1/2" pvc.

It solves carrying heavy buckets and holding the hose in the tank while it drains. Saves time and effort!

waterchangeunit.jpg

jedimasterben

Psh, that's nothing. I have to use ~20' of tubing, a 10' run of PVC, then a 40' run of PVC to get water away from my house :)

I should note - you probably don't want to just run the hose anywhere outside, as the saltwater will kill the grass/trees/etc that it settles on and that spot will be basically barren unless you pull up the soil and replace it. Happened to me :(

Archived