Coral Vue Hydros

Ps2cho's Barely Nano 60g Shallow Build --> [October FTS Updated]

ps2cho

Fourth Coat...I think its finally getting close.

Going to let it dry overnight and assess tomorrow.

This is my first time ever staining wood...so hoping I can get it acceptable.

4thcoat.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great start! The Jebaos WP25 will definitely move water, I've seen a single Jabeo wp40 move water in 16 foot tank by it self, not even kidding. That WP25 will be more than enough with your mp10 :). Can't wait to see what happens next.

I currently have ~30lbs of live rock from the soon to be old tank, so I ordered 50lbs of dry from Reefcleaners...

Should give me plenty to aquascape with, and any remaining will go into the sump.

Florida_Reef_Roc_4f933e4688abb_150x150.j

I think for the sump I will basically just put some rock and rubble and call that good. It may allow a sort of refug for copepods etc down there, but who knows. The cool thing is I can always make the sump into a fuge with a small sand bed etc in the future if I want to. I have the option :)

Latest on stand...

Last coat of stain, then will apply the top clear coat urethane!

Its not as dark as the photo makes out...I think the lighting was off.

Just so you can figure out what I am doing -- there will be one door. It will hinge in the middle and allow me the access that you can see! This way I can remove the sump if I ever needed to.

Also, with the paneling the way it was done, I actually made a sort of emergency pooling area for water. I silicone'd the inside completely so if there was ever a leak...it will in fact hold water. Or at least in theory. I don't exactly want to fill it up to leak check lol. But I applied silicon on each seam in great quantities :)

standd2.jpg

standd1.jpg

The WP25 arrived today

Plugged it into my 29g and wow it blew up a sandstorm! Thing is seriously powerful!

How do I know what the lowest settings are? I cant read chinese lol

Guess I should have thought about getting it into the house!! Luckily it just about fit through my sliding glass door from the back yard. Phew....

Fits perfect in the corner I designated :)

I will work on the doors over the next few weeks. I thought it best get it into the room so I can start plumbing, wiring etc...That way if the tank arrives early and I am not ready, at least I have somewhere to put it that's safe and I can get it running for a few days for leak checks etc while I finish up other stuff like hardplumbing wiring etc.

standinplace1.jpg

Oh and the wp25...

wp251.jpg

More work today -- my class got cancelled woohoo! So I had an extra half day to start plumbing!

You can see my 1" drains and 1/2" return. (still need a check valve for the return can't find one anywhere local so guess its online)...

The left 1" drain will go horizontally to the left and then turn towards the sump into a filter sock (on the way).

The right 1" drain is the emergency drain that goes straight into sump. That section is in its correct place and is done.

Both have unions for easy removal. On the rear side of the stand, there are also individual unions for the 1" pipes that go vertically behind the overflow box. That way I can also access those pipes if needed.

The ATO is also placed in its position at the height I think it should be at.

Also installed the GFCI. First time removing an electrical box. It was really straight forward. I hit all breaker switches for the house to be safe, then also plugged in a fan to triple check for power. Don't want to get zapped this morning... :)

gfciinstalled.jpg

holesdrill1.jpg

sumpstart1.jpg

sumppartialfinish.jpg

DIY filter sock holder.

I used the sock holder from my old acrylic sump, and simply used Loctite super gel to some eggcrate and it seems to be very solid.

I plan to use exclusively felt socks. The mesh is just for illustration. I need to order the felt socks soon, but I was going back and forth with 4" vs 7" socks. Then it came to me about re-using the sock holder I already had instead of spending cash on a new one.

Now that I am set on 7" socks, I will get an order for more 7" felt socks. 100 and 200 micron.

sockholder.jpg

Temporary ATO container and some wiring placed! I think we are about 2-3 weeks out from the tank now! Getting close....

Filled sump with some saltwater (currently mixing) for the heck of it lol.

Also ordered 3x 200micron felt 7" filter socks from ebay -- $18 shipped!

atocontainerbrita.jpg

50lbs of rock arrived. I asked for flat top pieces and Reefcleaners did not disappoint!! The rocks I have currently in the 29g will be plenty for bases. These rocks will be amazing for corals :)

and the phosphate inspection team. He came back with the report of ruff. Still figuring out if that was a yes or no...

rocks.jpg

and soaking for the next 2-3 weeks!

rocks2.jpg

Ordered a few extra misc stuff:

For Coral dipping...no nasties... I should have done it with the 2 SPS I got last week. I think they are ok though.

41tcyu4VoKL.jpg

Medium Magfloat

31qR99AOMAL.jpg

Light hanger built using 3/4" conduit. Self priming etcher, black spray paint and some hooks.

Need to get shorter wires though obviously now lol. (its level, just makeshift different size caribeners on there)

hanger1.jpg

hanger2.jpg

hanger3.jpg

I think I should have the new tank right before or shortly after new years :) Getting close...!

So I am now moving onto the Quarantine prep phase...

Equipment

Tank = 29g standard

Heater = 150w Jaeger

Flow = powerhead / AC70 /w foam for biological base

substrate = pvc pipes +

Pazipro

Cupramine

Prime

Next I will order 1 fish at a time

Steps

1) 1 week acclimation to the tank. No additives. Just good feeding. Use of prime if needed (followed by 100% water change due to prime + copper not mixing well)

2) Week 2-5 will be the pazipro + cupramine

3) Week 6 will be big water change to remove most of the medications and 1 week visual observation.

4) Week 7 will be DT move.

I put some flake food into my brute trash can with the reefcleaners dry rock to keep the bacteria going. I think once I get everything transferred over to the new tank, I'll barely have any spike in anything. Might not have a cycle at all!

Getting so close now!

Oceans by Design sent me an email to call them today, but I was working...so hopefully good news and just final stuff before it is on its way! We will see if they are open tomorrow being xmas eve...

I heard petco is doing the $1/gal sale from another user here, so I might go grab a 40b and maybe upgrade the sump.

Either way I should probably have a 40b on hand even if I don't wanna do that. I'll use it at some point in the future.

OBD will be shipping the tank next week. He is finishing up polishing and cleaning up the silicon and its good to go! Curing is all done he said.

Almost there now....lol

Nothing much has happened in the last week or so....

OBD said the tanks is pretty much done and he's going to get it shipped off to me. So close!

Shipper picked up the tank today.

Tank is on route!! Can't wait now so close!

I wonder how long it will take to get from WA to AZ...

Tank arrived today at the terminal. Shame I am working all day today and cannot grab it -- but tomorrow morning it looks like they are open, so I will have the tank tomorrow and photos will be posted!

The next 24hrs are gonna go so slowwww lol :)

Archived