Cultivated Reef

New Tank Built 8G - Ocean Free AT562A

owk688

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a huge fan of running par38's with no optics. It makes the color more natural. Granted it isn't good on larger tanks because you lose so much par, but on small ones like that I think it's the best way to run them.

yup you are right. There a big different especially on the red color led.

that why i also thinking to remove the lens. Let see how it goes.

In the tank there is :

3 turbo snail

2 nassarius snail

1 cleaner shrimp

water parameter :

Ammonia :0

Nitrite : 0

Nitrate : 0

Phos: 0

KH: 12

Ph: 8.5

So far so good. But the yuma seem not too "Happy", Maybe the turbo always move it around.

Have to wait for few days and see.

2013-12-17200135.jpg

I'm a huge fan of running par38's with no optics. It makes the color more natural. Granted it isn't good on larger tanks because you lose so much par, but on small ones like that I think it's the best way to run them.

NEW UPDATE:

Ammonia : 0

KH:12

NO2 : 0

NO3 : 0

PO4 : 0

IMG-20131230-WA0000.jpg

Finally settle on the fish & snail:

1 x Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)

1 x Firefish, Purple (Nemateleotris decora)

1 x Cleaner Shrimp

3 x Turbo Snail

2 x Nassarius Snail

Coral :

Green Hairy Mushroom

Green Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral (Sarcophyton sp.)

Wellso Folded Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia radiata) BiColor

Yuma Green

Yuma Brown & Yellow

Colony Polyp, Orange Spot (Zoanthus sp.)

Colony Polyp, Orange/Green (Zoanthus sp.)

Colony Polyp, Radioactive Dragon Eye (Zoanthus sp.)

one more coral i dont know what the name (free from lfs because diying... but now survive in my tank :) )

Today just get my hand one some more Coral:

Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata)

Cup Coral, Pagoda (Turbinaria peltata)

Yuma Metallic Green

2014-01-05234003.jpg

2014-01-05234011.jpg

2014-01-05234016.jpg

Do candy cane like high flow?

Hi I need some advice. Due to i have bubble algae issue and some hard hair algae. The LFS ask me to add a yellow tank small size to my 9 gallon.

Should I add that?

What in my tank now:

1 x Clown

1 x Cleaner Shrimp

2 x Turbo Snail

2 x Nassarius Snail

Hi I need some advice. Due to i have bubble algae issue and some hard hair algae. The LFS ask me to add a yellow tank small size to my 9 gallon.

Should I add that?

What in my tank now:

1 x Clown

1 x Cleaner Shrimp

2 x Turbo Snail

2 x Nassarius Snail

I'm assuming that's supposed to say tang?

No. Better yet, hell ####ing no. Even a baby tang needs a tank massively larger than 9 gallons. You're already very overstocked with fish. You don't need to add, you need to remove. I'd remove at least the firefish, 9 gallons isn't big enough for one. It really isn't big enough for the clown either.

The only livestock you should consider adding is an emerald or red mithrax crab.

I'm assuming that's supposed to say tang?

No. Better yet, hell ####ing no. Even a baby tang needs a tank massively larger than 9 gallons. You're already very overstocked with fish. You don't need to add, you need to remove. I'd remove at least the firefish, 9 gallons isn't big enough for one. It really isn't big enough for the clown either.

The only livestock you should consider adding is an emerald or red mithrax crab.

haha yah not tank but tang.

But emerald crab or red mithrax crab dont eat coral? What if i have run out of algae?

haha yah not tank but tang.

But emerald crab or red mithrax crab dont eat coral? What if i have run out of algae?

Emeralds possibly will. Red mithrax crabs are actually reef safe, unlike their emerald cousins which are hit or miss. Almost everyone has an emerald or two and them going rogue isn't all that common. If you run out of algae just feed him. Get some seaweed sheets or something and it'll be happy.

Sounds like that store is giving you bad advice. Nobody with a lick of sense would tell you to put a tang in a 9 gallon tank. They're either misinformed, dumb, or just don't give a shit and want your money.

Emeralds possibly will. Red mithrax crabs are actually reef safe, unlike their emerald cousins which are hit or miss. Almost everyone has an emerald or two and them going rogue isn't all that common. If you run out of algae just feed him. Get some seaweed sheets or something and it'll be happy.

Sounds like that store is giving you bad advice. Nobody with a lick of sense would tell you to put a tang in a 9 gallon tank. They're either misinformed, dumb, or just don't give a shit and want your money.

Thank you for the information. Will try to get myself a Red mithrax crabs. Hopefully i can get one in Malaysia.

I have been wonder why my table always have few drop of salt water. No fish have jump out, no snail run away.

Now i knwo why....

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/owk688/media/2014-01-17181714.jpg.html'>2014-01-17181714.jpg

bad news Chew_Magna the LFS did not sale Red mithrax crabs....

now i have to siphos the bubble algae out. Hopefully will not burst any one of the algae.

The red ones are pretty rare to find in stores from what I've seen and heard. Emeralds are everywhere, no reds though. I tried for a year to get one ordered at both stores here in town. Never got one.

The red ones are pretty rare to find in stores from what I've seen and heard. Emeralds are everywhere, no reds though. I tried for a year to get one ordered at both stores here in town. Never got one.

so you got to wish me luck... haha try siphons this weekend and cross my finger hope will not see them again.

• 2 weeks later...

New Zao:

Spartan's Pride

1507811_698052393568692_1649343013_n.jpg

Orange BUM BUM

1546166_698052023568729_427068435_n.jpg

LA LAKE

1536686_698762740164324_1446661843_n.jpg

Finally about the bubble algae when they grow back i will siphon them out every time i do water change.

Wait, why cant he have a juvenile tang in a 8 gallon for a couple of weeks to get rid of his algea?

Maybe is too small for a tang and very fast out off food and some time tang do grow very fast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

testing new light. can i get some advice which one nicer?

20140225_224138.jpg

1x uv

1x red

2 x 12k white

3 x 5000k warm white

2 x green

16 x artic blue

or

2014-01-31012332.jpg

1x uv

1x red

6 x blue

1 x 6000k white

3 x 5000k warm white

testing new light. can i get some advice which one nicer?

That's going to be totally up to you on which one is "nicer." I prefer the second one. Maybe swap one of the warm whites for another white and run them 2x2.

Archived